Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #16
EllEffEll
Local High School Star

Default Re: Top Five You Actually Watched

Went to my first Laker game in 1963. Saw Jerry West and Elgin Baylor take on the Cincinnati Royals (Oscar Robertson) at the Los Angeles Sports Arena when the Lakers still wore blue and white uniforms and before the Forum was built.

If I had only been watching hoops for the past 20 years, I'd go with just two. Shaq and LBJ. As it is, I have seen too many transcendent talents to go with just five ;~)

In no particular order, more like a player from each era.

Wilt
Jerry West
Kareem
Magic/Bird
MJ
Shaq
LBJ

Bill Russell should probably be on there, but he tortured me as a youth, so . . .
EllEffEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #17
Doranku
NBA All-star

I've always been a fan of playing and watching the sport since I was a young kid, but I didn't start REALLY paying attention to the league until probably the beginning of high school around the '05-06 season. Here would be my top 5 since that point:

1. LeBron
2. Kobe
3. Steph
4. Wade
5. KD
Doranku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #18
EllEffEll
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdot_thadon
. . . . Tmac, Penny, and Brandon Roy are the ultimate what if guys. I hated to see their careers not play out healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduper
Grant Hill is on that list too.

The exact thought I had when I read that post. Pre-injury Grant Hill was a beast. Loved watching him play.
EllEffEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #19
Bill Russell
Great college starter

I've been watching since 1992 at the age of 9 and I don't feel I had a strong grasp on what was happening until much later closer to 2000, so Jordan isn't on this list. So even though I'm excluding Jordan, I'm going to give Shaq a pass to be included as if he were younger than what he was starting in 2000.

The idea of just saying "top 5" is such an incomplete thought process that if you're going to actually be honest about everything and admit that there are a multitude of ways to look at any given subject, I give you the following...

Accomplishments?

1) LeBron James
2) Tim Duncan
3) Shaquille O'Neal
4) Kobe Bryant
5) Kevin Durant (only tough choice out of this entire post... I could be easily swayed another direction... particularly towards Curry)

Guys I'd take to start a team for 10+ years with, being in a position of not knowing the coach, front office and supporting cast?

1) Shaquille O'Neal
2) Tim Duncan
3) LeBron James
4) Stephen Curry
5) Kevin Garnett

Peak play?

1) Shaquille O'Neal
2) LeBron James
3) Tim Duncan
4) Stephen Curry
5) Kevin Garnett

Last edited by Bill Russell : 09-08-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #20
bison
Serious playground baller

‘92-present.

In my own experience:

Jordan
Shaq
Kobe
Curry
Lebron
Malone
bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #21
Bill Russell
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison
Ď92-present.

In my own experience:

Jordan
Shaq
Kobe
Curry
Lebron
Malone

That's 6.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #22
Prometheus
for your health

It doesn't have to be five. Read the OP.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #23
superduper
#StriveForCheapRings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranku
I've always been a fan of playing and watching the sport since I was a young kid, but I didn't start REALLY paying attention to the league until probably the beginning of high school around the '05-06 season. Here would be my top 5 since that point:

1. LeBron
2. Kobe
3. Steph
4. Wade
5. KD

Prime Wade was incredible.

It's what I imagine JJ Barea would've been if he were 6'4, long wingspan and GOAT athleticism
superduper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #24
NBAGOAT
College superstar

Around same time as you 02-03.

1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. Duncan
4. Dirk
5. Kg

I only caught a couple years of shaqs prime live so not on here. Curry is more impressive than some guys on this list but he didnít do it long enough yet, same for wade. I cared more about offense like everyone else when I was younger so Duncan and kg should be higher and do better on my all time list. Kd is up there but Iím a little more impressed by prime dirk( but tbf I was less negative back then).

Got to give shoutouts to Paul and Nash, I love their games especially Paulís who Iíve caught more recently and therefore give more weight to my impressions of his play. I seriously felt like he was carrying the clips as much as bron at times.
NBAGOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #25
Milbuck
Buck Dynasty

Early 2000s on, peak level of play imo:

1. LeBron
2. Shaq
3. Duncan
4. KG
5. Kobe

Peak Duncan/KG are interchangeable to me honestly, it's super close and I might take KG over Duncan for today's game.
Milbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #26
sdot_thadon
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllEffEll
The exact thought I had when I read that post. Pre-injury Grant Hill was a beast. Loved watching him play.
I agree with both of you guys, i think i tend to overlook him in that aspect because of what seemed like good longevity after his injury. Thinking back he was on track to being the 1st Lebron type player we'd see though.
sdot_thadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #27
BigShotBob
I rule the local playground

I'm going to sepearate this by decades since each decade had different players.

Early 80's

1) Bird
2) Magic
3) Zeke
4) MJ (begrudgingly)
5) Barkley

Bird was my favorite player. The Pistons were my favorite team. I was an avid MJ/Bulls hater. Really liked Barkley since he was trained by Moses.

I liked Magic's style and flair. His scoring ability doesn't get talked enough. His baby hook was almost as unstoppable as the sky-hook. I'd rather have a player with one semi-unstoppable move than a player with several mediocre moves.

Late 80's/Early 90's (90-93')

1) Zeke
2) MJ
3) Nique
4) Barkley
5) Bird

Pistons winning back to back with Zeke was legendary. Favorite time of my basketball life.

Hatred for MJ went away for a time, then came back after he swept the Pistons and disparaged them all over the place. That also had a hand in the league changing the rules to dismantle the Pistons's style of play (which everyone jockeyed and copied anyways).

Dominique was cookin fools. He was the most dynamic player in the league to me during this stretch. It was a highlight every night.

Barkley was a monster per usual, especially with the Suns. Game winner over David Robinson. Enough said.

Bird was aging but he had great performances.

Mid-Late 90's (94'-99)

1) Hakeem
2) Ewing
3) Stockton
4) MJ
5) Hill

Hakeem had a great run. The league was better off without Jordan (imo), I was very happy to hear that he retired. Didn't miss a beat with Hakeem dominating everyone.

Ewing was a monster for awhile, but was crowded out by other talented players and teams. With Barkley's back issues, and Robinson's more subpar performances piling up, he came to the forefront.

He sonned Shaq on most occasions save for one I can remember when Shaq dropped 40 on him and won, but there was another game when Ewing legitimately could not miss a shot but he was in foul trouble. I think he hit a game winner with a second or so left on the clock.

Stockton was great. Very active on offense and on defense. Ran his offense to perfection. If you want to be a good point guard, or want to see good point guard play, go watch John Stockton. It wasn't just Karl Malone either that made him who he was. Watch what happens when Malone isn't on the floor, and you'll see how he could single-handedly pick up the slack, especially with his scoring.

MJ came back. Started hating him again.

Grant Hill was special. Very, very, very special. When Lebron came in the league and people said they've "never seen anything like it," that just meant that they never knew who Grant Hill was. What a shame.

2000's

1) Duncan
2) Rasheed
3) Webber
4) Dirk
5) Wade

Duncan was great. One of the few watchable players in the era. It was hard for me to nitpick at his game, which was crazy to me since I'm a hater of the highest caliber. Biggest flaw turning this time was his free-throw shooting though.

Rasheed was flat-out unstoppable. Probably my absolute favorite big during this time. He talked, he played physical, he scored in a variety of ways, and he talked some more. Definitely my kind of player.

Webber was pure skill. Plain and simple. When he had those Kings clicking on all cylinders, it was like poetry in motion.

Dirk schooled all of your favorite PFs. He was your favorite player's favorite player. Beat Duncan in a game 7, on the road. And he completely eviscerated KG in the playoffs. What more could you ask for?

I was a big fan of Wade. I don't think people sing his praises enough. His poise in the playoffs in his second year was not seen, especially as a guard, since MJ. Except unlike MJ the league wasn't given to him on a silver platter so he was actually likeable.

2010-Present

1) Durant
2) Curry
3) Kawhi
4) Lebron
5) The rest are bums

Durant is supremely skilled. Top 5 most skilled players of all time.

Curry greatest shooter off the dribble. Worked very hard on his game. You saw flashes of his brilliance in the Nuggets series when he had that huge third quarter. Made Igudola want to sign with them right after.

There was one distinct game I remember watching on NBATV. Popovich put in his subs since the game was winding down, and a lanky dude with cornrolls came into the game.

This guy did a cross over at the free throw line, pulled up, and wet the jumper.

Next play, he came down the court and did the same thing.

He hustled hard, played great defense, and stayed disciplined.

I thought to myself, "Is this the return of Latrell Spreewell?"

Not quite but I made a note to memorize this kid's name.

And it was Kawhi Leonard.

I was never high on Lebron like some people were. He was a lot like Elgin Baylor to me. He could win, but only one way. He wasn't a gunner like Baylor, but he was ball-dominant. Too many things either lived or died with him. Recipe for disaster, and I'm not interested in watching teams that are constructed around one player. I actually preferred his decision to leave Cleveland and go to the Heat since I knew it would ultimately force him to elevate his game.

It's harder to get your numbers when you're playing with great players. It's easier when you're not.

Everyone else in this era are bums. Too flawed to even deserve a mention.
BigShotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #28
Bill Russell
Great college starter

So Shaq wasn't a top 5 player in any era that he played?

LOL.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #29
BigShotBob
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell
So Shaq wasn't a top 5 player in any era that he played?

LOL.

Personal preference. I personally was never high on Shaq. Doesn't mean he wasn't dominant though.
BigShotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #30
Doranku
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShotBob

Early 80's

1) Bird
2) Magic
3) Zeke
4) MJ (begrudgingly)