Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #31
Manny98
BBL Prospect

Default Re: Top Five You Actually Watched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShotBob
I'm going to sepearate this by decades since each decade had different players.

Early 80's

1) Bird
2) Magic
3) Zeke
4) MJ (begrudgingly)
5) Barkley

Late 80's/Early 90's (90-93')

1) Zeke
2) MJ
3) Nique
4) Barkley
5) Bird

Mid-Late 90's (94'-99)

1) Hakeem
2) Ewing
3) Stockton
4) MJ
5) Hill

2000's

1) Duncan
2) Rasheed
3) Webber
4) Dirk
5) Wade

2010-Present

1) Durant
2) Curry
3) Kawhi
4) Lebron
5) The rest are bums

Stockton ahead of Jordan?

Sheed and Webber ahead of KG and Shaq

LeBron not number 1 for 2010s?

Manny98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #32
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

1) Jordan
He ripped my heart out as a young Pistons fan. There may be a huge bias involved in picking Jordan over Shaq. I grew up hating this man.

2) Shaq
All of Shaq's playoff performances before his 2nd year in Miami were amazing. When every single NBA great that played against him says he is the most dominant force the NBA has ever seen, come on man.

3) LeBron
Every year, he should probably be the MVP. Ending the 2000 era Pistons with 25 straight points, hyper athlete 2012, 2013 Lebron, old man Logan Lebron we just saw over the last few playoff runs. The crazy thing is Lebron should be better than where he is. This dude should be the GOAT, but was too stubborn to reach his full potential...which is ridiculous.

4) KD
This is what Kobe would look like if he could actually be an assassin during the playoffs. Constantly calling for the ball on every mismatch in the post (which was every single matchup in the post) and making EVERY SINGLE ONE. 3 point daggers in the face of the arguable GOAT. Staring down the crowd after launching nonsense 3s from 3 steps inside half court. Breaking people's ankles and throwing down thunder dunks. I almost want to put KD over LeBron, but LeBron's defense in 2012 and 2013 gives him the slight edge. Offensively, it's all KD.

5) Hakeem
This dude destroyed every legendary center he ran into. How many centers can say they made Ewing, Robinson, and Shaq look like their bitches? One. The Dream.

Considering regular season and playoffs, with more emphasis on playoff performance.

Unfortunately, Magic and Bird were a little bit before my time. I started watching basketball around 87-88. Carrying into the Bad Boys era and swiftly followed by the rockster Bulls.

The 90s era was really forgettable for me. The start of the AAU, And1, play for yourself era that really ruined basketball for a stretch. I would have liked to list T-Mac or Kobe, but they lacked the playoff greatness that sets the legends apart. Kobe is one of the greatest regular season players ever, but he wanted the moment too much, to the detriment of his teams. Kobe was selfish until his last year. He learned he could enjoy basketball in the end.

I would have liked to put Isiah Thomas on this list for some of the most memorable moments in playoff history, but we know little guys are hard to put on these types of lists.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #33
thefatmiral
Local High School Star

My introduction too basketball was Hakeem handling Shaq for the championship

1. Jordan
2. Duncan
3. Kobe
4. Shaq
5. Lebron
6. Hakeem
7. Robinson
8. Dirk
9. Kidd
10. Curry
thefatmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #34
Prometheus
for your health

Quote:
bunch of bullshit

Are you fully functioning?
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #35
Pointguard
5-time NBA All-Star

When I watch games I go for excitement. So this isn't about who was the best. Its usually a mix of speed, charisma, athletics and visual gamesmanship.

Mid 80's til now.
1.Magic
2.MJ
3. Young AI or young Derrick Rose
4. Bird or Lebon
5. Barkley
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #36
EllEffEll
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
When I watch games I go for excitement. So this isn't about who was the best. Its usually a mix of speed, charisma, athletics and visual gamesmanship.

Mid 80's til now.
1.Magic
2.MJ
3. Young AI or young Derrick Rose
4. Bird or Lebon
5. Barkley

These 'lists' are always subjective, but when you put your list in context, it helps to understand. It's interesting that you have just guards and small forwards, but it's your list for your reasons
EllEffEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #37
EllEffEll
Local High School Star

Quote:
I'm going to sepearate this by decades since each decade had different players.

Early 80's

1) Bird
2) Magic
3) Zeke
4) MJ (begrudgingly)
5) Barkley

Bird was my favorite player. The Pistons were my favorite team. I was an avid MJ/Bulls hater. Really liked Barkley since he was trained by Moses.

I liked Magic's style and flair. His scoring ability doesn't get talked enough. His baby hook was almost as unstoppable as the sky-hook. I'd rather have a player with one semi-unstoppable move than a player with several mediocre moves.

Late 80's/Early 90's (90-93')

1) Zeke
2) MJ
3) Nique
4) Barkley
5) Bird

Pistons winning back to back with Zeke was legendary. Favorite time of my basketball life.

Hatred for MJ went away for a time, then came back after he swept the Pistons and disparaged them all over the place. That also had a hand in the league changing the rules to dismantle the Pistons's style of play (which everyone jockeyed and copied anyways).

Dominique was cookin fools. He was the most dynamic player in the league to me during this stretch. It was a highlight every night.

Barkley was a monster per usual, especially with the Suns. Game winner over David Robinson. Enough said.

Bird was aging but he had great performances.

Mid-Late 90's (94'-99)

1) Hakeem
2) Ewing
3) Stockton
4) MJ
5) Hill

Hakeem had a great run. The league was better off without Jordan (imo), I was very happy to hear that he retired. Didn't miss a beat with Hakeem dominating everyone.

Ewing was a monster for awhile, but was crowded out by other talented players and teams. With Barkley's back issues, and Robinson's more subpar performances piling up, he came to the forefront.

He sonned Shaq on most occasions save for one I can remember when Shaq dropped 40 on him and won, but there was another game when Ewing legitimately could not miss a shot but he was in foul trouble. I think he hit a game winner with a second or so left on the clock.

Stockton was great. Very active on offense and on defense. Ran his offense to perfection. If you want to be a good point guard, or want to see good point guard play, go watch John Stockton. It wasn't just Karl Malone either that made him who he was. Watch what happens when Malone isn't on the floor, and you'll see how he could single-handedly pick up the slack, especially with his scoring.

MJ came back. Started hating him again.

As a Laker fan from the sixties, I fully understand. When a team (and it's players) seemingly make it their mission to sh!t in your cheerios year after year, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth for a long time. I didn't stop my blind hatred for the Celtics until after the 1985 season, when they finally beat the Celtics in a Finals series, especially after they punked the Lakers the way they did in 1984. 1985 and 2010 are still my favorite championship titles, and it's not difficult to figure out why.

Quote:
Grant Hill was special. Very, very, very special. When Lebron came in the league and people said they've "never seen anything like it," that just meant that they never knew who Grant Hill was. What a shame.

Quoted for truth.
EllEffEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #38
BigShotBob
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
Are you fully functioning?

Ya'll gotta stop this. I laid out all of my points for you to contest with. If you have any real issues with my post, come at me like a man, not a boy. Otherwise I'll talk to you like a boy.

Don't let Manny98 show you up. You're better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny98
Stockton ahead of Jordan?

Sheed and Webber ahead of KG and Shaq

LeBron not number 1 for 2010s?

First of all, this is list is subjective. We all have our biases to not only certain players, but playstyles. No one is 100% objective.

Second, Jordan was gone for two years, came back, and lost in the ECF. Filmed Space Jam, came back again, and three-peated. He gets props for the three-peat, but he threw two years of his prime out of the window.

How can he be my top 5 watched in that time span if he wasn't even there.

Third, I was never big on KG. One of my pet peeves is hyping these "two-way" players that never could actually stop anybody when it mattered the most. Then when they fail to stop them, you give them a pass and say "Well there was nothing they could do." See: Dirk embarrassing KG in 2002.

All I'm gonna say about Shaq is, he looked real dominant against Todd McCollough and Carlos Williamson. Not so much against Hakeem, and the front court of Duncan and Robinson.

Lebron from 11'-13' had a good run, even counting the Dallas series. He had to fail to learn to grow. He froze up but it was in his nature, and he had to learn to fight it. Afterwards, he hustled hard, had a great motor, and even had his best defensive season. Then he faced some adversity and in that 2014 Spurs series he regressed back into the same old habits.

In 16' he got his motor back, but recently he's lost it again. I can't give props for not hustling and not trying. I like Durant, Curry, and Kawhi because I'm very fond of steady, consistent, improvement.
BigShotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #39
Round Mound
NBA rookie of the year

1-MJ
2-Hakeem
3-Barkley
4-Malone
5-Pippen/Stockton
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #40
Smoke117
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

1. Wilt
2. Mikan
3. Russell
4. Kareem
5. Walton
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:40 PM   #41
Prometheus
for your health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
1. Wilt
2. Mikan
3. Russell
4. Kareem
5. Walton

This is the same guy who cries and whines 24/7 about how this board is all trolling and dumb shit. And here you are with this low-effort bs in a thread just looking for more honest discussion.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:03 AM   #42
k0kakw0rld
The Special One

1. Jason Kidd
2. Tim Duncan
3. LeBron James
4. Shaq
5. T-Mac/VC
k0kakw0rld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:15 AM   #43
3ball
NBA Legend

Started in earnest in 88'.. stopped in 2011

MJ
Kobe
Duncan
Isiah
Hakeem

Isiah is very underrated

Whoops left off Shaq.. might be okay tho
3ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:17 AM   #44
Gus Hemmingway
Bye Kyrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ball
Started in earnest in 88'.. stopped in 2011

MJ
Kobe
Duncan
Isiah
Hakeem

Isiah is very underrated

Whoops left off Shaq.. might be okay tho

You've created an account and made thousands of posts of a sport you havent watched in 7 years
Gus Hemmingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:19 AM   #45
Smoke117
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
This is the same guy who cries and whines 24/7 about how this board is all trolling and dumb shit. And here you are with this low-effort bs in a thread just looking for more honest discussion.

meltdown
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: