Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Bill Russell
Banned

Default Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Why does this chart trigger people?
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #2
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Ill repost what I said one of the other 200 times someone who pretends to be sick of racial discussion and being(shockingly) considered racist brought it up:

Quote:
But I really just dont buy that im as far ahead of average as was implied by the various testing I did as a child.

I spent years getting hounded by two teachers then put in a free private school(my mom was a teacher there) where I was placed in an honors class and spent hours on riddles and logic problems, learning history from a woman I feel may be the smartest person I ever met, and doing whatever the hell I wanted as long as it was productive. I had stacks of old nature magazines all over my room in boxes the school would just give any of us who wanted them. I read volumes of encyclopedias the school gave us(bought new ones) to pass the time. I was in weekend and summer programs with my moms bosses Sri Lankan kids learning about Vivaldi and doing quiz bowls.

I got a head start on the kind of thinking I suspect the tests try to measure.

If I were born to a crackhead and never learned to read until school taught me id be a totally different person. I remember starting public school and being blown away by the bullshit they had me doing. Kids being taught what the X meant in an algebra problem and im sitting there incredulous because I learned such things so long ago I didnt even remember being taught it(kinda how you know your ABCs...but dont remember learning them).

Ive had people(mostly...people id call average..and sadly its mostly black people) fawning over me since I was 3 because I "talk smart". I speak the way I was forced to and it makes a good impression on people expecting to hear something else from a black male from where im from.

But it didnt come from nowhere.

If more average children had my upbringing they would probably seem above average....

I dont believe you can test for innate intelligence and eliminate upbringing and how much the person being tested cares about doing well.

I dominate IQ tests. Id bet anything Id do worse if I were raised by my fathers family instead of my mothers.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
DJMcDonald
TTD

Asian fam holding ANOTHER W
DJMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Ill repost what I said one of the other 200 times someone who pretends to be sick of racial discussion and being(shockingly) considered racist brought it up:

I dont believe you can test for innate intelligence and eliminate upbringing and how much the person being tested cares about doing well.

I dominate IQ tests. Id bet anything Id do worse if I were raised by my fathers family instead of my mothers.

I think you Have to test for iq by a professional, like a psychiatrist of psychologist, and do it when they are really young. What's your iq?

I've never had my iq tested. Took some iq tests as a joke online. I don't have scores from when they did placement stuff for gifted programs but I'm pretty sure they tested something like iq. I got a 95 once online, or something like that. Haha. That's the one that sticks out. I was super depressed and feeling like my mind didn't work anymore after I had spent a year or so mass smoking weed, and I took that test online and it's like welp, time to end my life haha.

I think you gotta test kids and they have to not know it. Once people know they are being tested and after a certain age, anxiety becomes a factor. I think you can test iq by conversing with someone, in a lot of ways. I mean is someone with a 160 iq really smarter than 150? Or is it just variance. I think there are tiers like... Standard deviations. Moderate, highly, exceptional and profound are the terms they use I think.

I'm always interested in how people approach the discussion of intelligence, esp their personal intelligence.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
Bill Russell
Banned

Quote:
I’ll repost what I said one of the other 200 times someone who pretends to be sick of racial discussion and being(shockingly) considered racist brought it up:

I don’t believe you can test for innate intelligence and eliminate upbringing and how much the person being tested cares about doing well.

I dominate IQ tests. I’d bet anything I’d do worse if I were raised by my fathers family instead of my mothers.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
Terahite
Free Nick Young

No black or Hispanic that I'm aware of has had to create an alt account to hide the shame of being scammed out of $500 from another user here. There are some things you can't teach in school.
Terahite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
scuzzy
get the strap

Muslim brotherhood wait for my signal
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
Im Still Ballin
take him away boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5OfG_wxkJI
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
Bill Russell
Banned

>believes in evolution
>also believes that each race is in the exact same spot from an evolutionary standpoint and gets deeply offended when it's suggested otherwise
>pick one
Old 09-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
Loco 50
I usually hit open layups

Quote:

You can't, this is why minority scholarships are a thing. When you factor in the environment people grow up in and compare the fact that many minorities have to stress about day to day living causing a loss of focus, or rather, diverted focus, that otherwise could be put to use bettering themselves if they were in a more stable, nurturing environment.

The fact that many blacks and Hispanics start off life handicapped by other people's problems does not set their demographics up for success early on.

Now white people want to bitch and moan about how hard they had it growing up. It's about numbers. White people and Asians are more likely to have a supportive environment, so "extracurricular" activities like reading, learning, and critical thinking exercises are easier to get access to.

Bottomline: It's hard to focus on solving puzzles when you're not sure if you're caregiver is going to be able to make rent next month.
Loco 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:53 PM   #11
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s

Quote:
I’ll repost what I said one of the other 200 times someone who pretends to be sick of racial discussion and being(shockingly) considered racist brought it up:

I don’t believe you can test for innate intelligence and eliminate upbringing and how much the person being tested cares about doing well.

I dominate IQ tests. I’d bet anything I’d do worse if I were raised by my fathers family instead of my mothers.

My thoughts:
Race has less to do with IQ than upbringing
There is probably a correlation between skin color and IQ, but the difference is not clinically significant
IQ a measure of intelligence is overrated

Side note: it helps if your population is living in a cooler climate. When it's 100F all the time, the human body doesn't feel like building things vs in 65F.

And to answer OPs question, I think it triggers mostly idiots who think anything racial = racist. And sometimes they'll see that chart and ASSUME you are implying that certain individuals are inferior based on their race. I see that chart and think, "eh, what's the conclusion? how can this chart help accomplish anything? not a big deal to me because I think IQ is overrated anyway."

Last edited by Cleverness : 09-09-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Cleverness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:59 PM   #12
ShawkFactory
NBA rookie of the year

Trying to determine a particular persons (or group of peoples) intelligence based solely on an IQ test says more about you than any point you could possibly be making.
ShawkFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #13
coin24
5-time NBA All-Star

Isnt the average iq in the Middle East much lower than all of those?
But if you mention the obvious (marrying there cousins) you're a racist

Lebanese Muslims would have to be some of the dumbest mfers on earth
coin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #14
FKAri
5-time NBA All-Star

The issue is that IQ tests are shit.
FKAri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #15
NZStreetBaller
Good college starter

Dont asian people culturally push their kids to do well academically ?
And whites would be 2nd on this list.

If IQ was all about race then shouldnt neil degrasse tyson be dumber than machine gun kelly??
NZStreetBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: