Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2018, 12:38 AM   #31
Patrick Chewing
#MAGADETH
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 18,960
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
There should be more Asian QBs


They'd never be able to see above the pocket. They'd be constantly getting sacked.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:40 AM   #32
Loco 50
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 314
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
This post pretty much encapsulates the leftís inability to view people as individuals.
If I've learned anything from reading your stuff it's how much value you put in the individual. The quote coming from Bush himself makes it
Loco 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:42 AM   #33
ILLsmak
Life goes on.
 
ILLsmak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,916
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern
Funny, I just came from researching Ashkenazi Jews and their IQ. They have a high IQ due to evolutionary stress.

Of course when researching such things you find people who are not even Ashkenazi Jews using it as an excuse to put down black people. And what I find interesting is that I bet that none of the IQs of those people are over 100. They're insecure and that insecurity has a big hold in their lives and they need to obsessed, and use blacks as an excuse to feel better about themselves. Because a reasonable intelligent person would not be so obsessed and try to put down a group of humans down. That would not be the focus of a curious mind.

A lot of emotional pain had to into that evolution, since it involved hundreds of years of normal intelligence Ashkenazi Jews not being able to find any work, or have any kids. Due to discrimination, if you did not have a high IQ, you would not be able to reproduce as much, even if you were smarter than most of the non Jews (regular whites).

It's hard to explain, but they're not that smart due to being special, but rather for being down. Hard to explain. Simple, just that dumb average people would not be able to understand it.

As far as IQ and race. Nutrition plays a HUGE role in mental development. As well as a whole lot of other things. If a country has a large percentage of malnourished people, their average IQ will be lower. Just like the average IQ of Americans were lower 100 years ago.

I know what a 90 IQ looks like, dumb. I used to deal with a lot of people from Ghana, whose supposed average IQ is around 67 (which is an IQ you would pretty much instantly recognized in a person). There's no way the IQ of the Ghana people were under 90. And there's sure no hell in hell it's in the 60s. (They had to fill out lots of forms, which would be difficult for someone with a 67 IQ).

IQ is something that I judge as individuals. Most people, including whites, are dumb (IQ under 100. Only few high IQ people, with dumb assholes lumping themselves in with those people), I would say that at least 90% of racists are of low IQ. So I always wonder how they would react to verified people of a different race who are smarter than them. As in you look down on an entire race due to color, but how would you react to the millions of individual who are smarter? Would they be ok in sterilizing themselves, or having the respect go to the other person?

If they're celebrating that Ashkenazi Jews have an average IQ of 112, and using it as a way to put blacks down, how would they react to find out that they have a 90 IQ?

Basically I hate the IQ talk, because individual IQs are all over the place. And those people lump themselves in use it to feel as though they are really smart, and don't realize that it's about individual IQ.

Dat wall.

It's true iq is garbage but for this thread I thought we were assuming it meant something. It does. It measures your ability to take an iq test.

The thing about intelligence is not many people think they are dumb. Some people might say I'm dumb, I don't get it, kind or self depreciatingly but I don't think many people look in the mirror like shit it sucks I'm stupid. Cept me. Haha. But usually it is more like Wai or what happen or damn drugs r bad.

Another thing about being smart or being dumb whatever is people assume it means something. It means shit. It's not like beauty which just is. It's not like athleticism which just is. Sure you have to work to maintain those things too, but intelligence has no value when it isn't used. And it's really ****in hard to use it. You think if someone is 150% smarter than someone else they can do a job and be more productive, make more money, but that's not true imo. It takes a special place for them, and in a normal place they get stuck staring at the walls and thinking about their existence instead of using their extra productivity.

So, I'm smarter than you is a good insult. Probably the best. For some reason people hate that other people, esp people they dislike, can be smarter, but it really doesn't mean anything.

Like 115-120 iq, if we assume iq exists and matters, that's it. That's what you want. You can do almost anything conceivable. Live any life you want. People who are 150 or 170 iq are fun to think about, because we know some famous people who have that, and we're like wow that's amazing how smart they are and how easy their life must be. But statistically there are many others just as smart some probably working a dead end job through no real fault of their own, and are miserable

If your capability is higher than the ceiling of where you are, it's meaningless, and the world doesn't have that many high ceiling places and a lot of them (like academia) are filled with cliques that would be loathe to let a "genius" be accepted.

My theory is a lot of people are a lot smarter than people think they are, just like you said. But you're wrong about 90 iq being dumb. It's perfectly respectable. And I'm not just saying that because I got a 90 something on an online test once. 90 is within average range imo

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:49 AM   #34
MaxFly
Stylin' on you
 
MaxFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,827
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
I donít believe you can test for innate intelligence and eliminate upbringing

This... I think, on average, IQ over various demographic populations is largely a function of nurture, not nature.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:23 AM   #35
Ass Dan
LOL Maker, Intraweb
 
Ass Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Dry An@l Rapist of Wack
Posts: 3,349
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Upbringing, culture, exposure to things...

all play a key role.

this is also the basis for privilege.

things like IQ cannot be accurate without looking at the big picture.

just like privilege, as Asian Americans are the most privileged if you look at privilege in a vacuum.

IQ, in a vacuum isn't much of an indicator of anything societal.

It only represents the individual, and where they are. Biases are not factored in.

Asians also score high because they are the only race that does large scale test taking training in after-school crams schools from a young age.

set up cram schools in the hood and you will see test scores sky-rocket.
Ass Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:09 AM   #36
HarryBergeron
Underhandicapped
 
HarryBergeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: 2081
Posts: 888
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern
Funny, I just came from researching Ashkenazi Jews and their IQ. They have a high IQ due to evolutionary stress.

Of course when researching such things you find people who are not even Ashkenazi Jews using it as an excuse to put down black people. And what I find interesting is that I bet that none of the IQs of those people are over 100. They're insecure and that insecurity has a big hold in their lives and they need to obsessed, and use blacks as an excuse to feel better about themselves. Because a reasonable intelligent person would not be so obsessed and try to put down a group of humans down. That would not be the focus of a curious mind.

A lot of emotional pain had to into that evolution, since it involved hundreds of years of normal intelligence Ashkenazi Jews not being able to find any work, or have any kids. Due to discrimination, if you did not have a high IQ, you would not be able to reproduce as much, even if you were smarter than most of the non Jews (regular whites).

It's hard to explain, but they're not that smart due to being special, but rather for being down. Hard to explain. Simple, just that dumb average people would not be able to understand it.

As far as IQ and race. Nutrition plays a HUGE role in mental development. As well as a whole lot of other things. If a country has a large percentage of malnourished people, their average IQ will be lower. Just like the average IQ of Americans were lower 100 years ago.

I know what a 90 IQ looks like, dumb. I used to deal with a lot of people from Ghana, whose supposed average IQ is around 67 (which is an IQ you would pretty much instantly recognized in a person). There's no way the IQ of the Ghana people were under 90. And there's sure no hell in hell it's in the 60s. (They had to fill out lots of forms, which would be difficult for someone with a 67 IQ).

IQ is something that I judge as individuals. Most people, including whites, are dumb (IQ under 100. Only few high IQ people, with dumb assholes lumping themselves in with those people), I would say that at least 90% of racists are of low IQ. So I always wonder how they would react to verified people of a different race who are smarter than them. As in you look down on an entire race due to color, but how would you react to the millions of individual who are smarter? Would they be ok in sterilizing themselves, or having the respect go to the other person?

If they're celebrating that Ashkenazi Jews have an average IQ of 112, and using it as a way to put blacks down, how would they react to find out that they have a 90 IQ?

Basically I hate the IQ talk, because individual IQs are all over the place. And those people lump themselves in use it to feel as though they are really smart, and don't realize that it's about individual IQ.

Only read the first paragraph and I already know you are a liar and an idiot. If you were actually "researching" ashkenazi iq youd know its a myth that it is high.

I can dispel this quite easily. Israel has an average IQ of 98 and 40% of israelis are ashkenazi. For the 112 or 115 myth to stack up, then mizrahim, sephardum, arabs etc would all have to be in the low 80's.




Dont believe jewish lies.
HarryBergeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:17 AM   #37
HarryBergeron
Underhandicapped
 
HarryBergeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: 2081
Posts: 888
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Iíll repost what I said one of the other 200 times someone who pretends to be sick of racial discussion and being(shockingly) considered racist brought it up:



I donít believe you can test for innate intelligence and eliminate upbringing and how much the person being tested cares about doing well.

I dominate IQ tests. Iíd bet anything Iíd do worse if I were raised by my fathers family instead of my mothers.

Then you are a truly ignorant person at odds with the entire anthropological and zoological establishment.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minn...Adoption_Study

Upbring does impact IQ, but even blacks from well to do homes score worse than economically depressed whites and asians.
HarryBergeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:43 AM   #38
DJMcDonald
The Hamptons
 
DJMcDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,578
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docs Orders
why do blacks get mad at us bringing up prison statistics


why do hispanics get mad at us bringing up immigration statistics


why do Japanese get mad at bringing up Hiroshima and Nagasaki


They're facts


We should be able to socially bring these discussions up commonly without smug backlash and negative feedback


DJMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 AM   #39
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 18,929
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBergeron
Then you are a truly ignorant person at odds with the entire anthropological and zoological establishment.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minn...Adoption_Study

Upbring does impact IQ, but even blacks from well to do homes score worse than economically depressed whites and asians.

Did I say it was about money? I said I was better off with my mothers family. My fathers side had more money. They were all church people. My father was a pastor. So was his mother. They had their own church....good number of members. They were not poor. My moms side was poor....but two generations of teachers and a great grandmother who likely would have been were she not taken out of school at such a young age(this was 1910...school wasnt a priority for people living on a farm).

Both sides in the church...but one side id get slapped for asking where Cain found a wife if he was one of the only 3 people. One side id have a discussion.

I was an absolute dick as a small child(now im a dick...but not an absolute dick). Apparently correcting other kids was my favorite thing to do. Id routinely ask my mom why other kids were so stupid when I got to public schools and most could barely read. I was the kid the teacher calls on to finish the out loud reading when shes sick of listening to kids struggle. Always being told "You read good!" by kids I felt were stupid had me asking my mom about it.

It was laid out to me that their parents let school teach them but I learn everything at home. Which when you think about it...does make other kids look stupid. Im watching kids try to work out what 4x13 is when I know at a glance. Id always get in trouble for not showing my work because I did math in my head so quickly. I wasnt used to worksheets and tests because I was taught in this system:


Quote:
The Montessori method views the child as one who is naturally eager for knowledge and capable of initiating learning in a supportive, thoughtfully prepared learning environment. It attempts to develop children physically, socially, emotionally and cognitively.[2]

Although a range of practices exist under the name "Montessori", the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) and the American Montessori Society (AMS) cite these elements as essential:[3][2]

Mixed age classrooms; classrooms for children ages 2Ĺ or 3 to 6 years old are by far the most common, but 0–3, 3-6, 6–9, 9–12, 12–15, and 15–18 year-old classrooms exist as well.
Student choice of activity from within a prescribed range of options.
Uninterrupted blocks of work time, ideally three hours.
A constructivist or "discovery" model, where students learn concepts from working with materials, rather than by direct instruction.
Specialized educational materials developed by Montessori and her collaborators often made out of natural, aesthetic materials such as wood, rather than plastic.
A thoughtfully prepared environment where materials are organized by subject area, within reach of the child, and are appropriate in size.
Freedom of movement within the classroom.
A trained Montessori teacher who follows the child and is highly experienced in observing the individual child's characteristics, tendencies, innate talents and abilities.

My mom was certified in it. My grandma worked with me. The kids around me started to seem slower and slower. Eventually I had to be told nobody would like me if all I did was correct them so I shut up in public school once I got there.

Im running circles around kids in the honors classes. Im destroying people on the debate team....best in quiz bowls...they would send me to the library to take my tests because everyone would cheat off me. At the time...I felt like I was just smarter than everyone.

Im sure I was smarter than some of them....but it wasnt that simple.

I spent my whole life with people obsessed with young education....taught to think rationally. To work out problems myself. We had deductive reasoning exercises......

I may have been a bit smarter than some....but I was humiliating people. Put me back in Africa doing whatever the hell a 7 year old does in a village on the Ivory Coast I suspect my test scores dip.

Am I dumber....or am I worse prepared and worse concerned with the outcome of a test I know my intelligence is judged by? Caring what people thought of my intelligence...and what I thought of it myself? I cared about those tests. The placement test....the learning center tests they had me take. I cared. I wanted to do well. There were kids during the public school testing half asleep. I destroyed those tests because it was a matter of pride. I could show how little I cared about their shitty school....and still do better than everyone. I was in classes with 12 year olds when I was 7 all doing the same work most kids would do in high school. Think "normal" 7 year olds were gonna compete with me fairly?

I was sculpted into the person I became. Me vs a lot of kids wasnt a fair fight because school taught them..then they went home....and I was in school damn near all day every day at home.

A lot of "dumb" people just never had a chance. We had the mom of a dyslexic kid marry into the family in the 90s. He was in slow classes. Literally on the short bus. My mom figured out something was wrong with him and got him tested. Turned out he wasnt slow. He just never had the right teachers. Me and my mom taught that kid to read ourselves.

If he never meets a family of educators...and stays in slow classes....is he actually slower?

These things are rarely so simple as people want them to be.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #40
stalkerforlife
Free the banned users.
 
stalkerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL.
Posts: 22,760
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

The white delegation has decided to offer Simon, AKA HarryBergeron, in a trade for kblaze.
stalkerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #41
Long Duck Dong
Local High School Star
 
Long Duck Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,936
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Statistics only matter when proving how different the path in life each demographic on average chose to take in life and how we must artificially force these things to be equal. Statistics like IQ, SAT scores, cranial capacity, crime and recidivism are worthless and just meant to hurt the self esteem of others.
Long Duck Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #42
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!
 
TheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: amongst wackos
Posts: 11,998
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell


Why does this chart trigger people?
Trump is clearly not that bright IQ wise but he conned millions of folks smarter than him and is the most powerful man in the world as we speak...higher IQ is a bit overrated, there are other variables involved. China has amongst the highest IQs of all yet they don't invent anything and most of their population is dirt poor.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #43
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 28,173
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
China has amongst the highest IQs of all yet they don't invent anything and most of their population is dirt poor.
Bad culture + bad political system.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #44
Patrick Chewing
#MAGADETH
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 18,960
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
Trump is clearly not that bright IQ wise but he conned millions of folks smarter than him


You normally would have to fail at something or go back on one of your promises to be considered to have conned someone. I'll let you explain to us what he's failed at or what promises he's backed out of.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #45
Hardtop Hero
I rule the local playground
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 531
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
Because black people are very sensitive.

They can dish it, but they can't take it.

Ever see black comedians make fun of white people nonstop? Perfectly okay. If a white comedian goes in hard? Racism.

Blacks can say they're better athletically all day long, but if we say we're smarter? Racism.

Their insanely high sensitivity is why you see them commit the most violence by far per capita; they are very unpredictable due to their sensitivities.

A few things.

A. White people are quite sensitive, given their suicide rates.

B. You're too stupid to understand oppressor/oppressed humor. Now, I'm not a big fan of "white people do this, black people do that" type of humor because it mostly lacks the requisite wit that I prefer. However, there's an inherent difference in the histories of black and white people in this country, that you lack the forethought to understand. To put it another way, the average black person would gladly trade power dynamics in exchange for whitey being able to make fun of them.

C. Let's say I give you the IQ thing (it's full of shit, but for the sake of argument). What do YOU personally get out of it? You are dumb ass, and an admitted failure in life. Obviously Barack Obama, Neil Degrasse Tyson, myself, and about a hundred other black people I could name off the top of my head are smarter than you. So what is it? You live vicariously through white people's alleged collective intelligence, because of your individual lack of intelligence? That's why I've never understood people who tout supposed "proof" like this, since they are usually stupid.

D. Come on son. You don't really want to get into all the violence white people get up to.

It's always amazing how bigots are quick to point a finger at every other race, but when it comes to carefully examining their own - no thanks.
Hardtop Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy