Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #61
Patrick Chewing
#MAGADETH
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 18,980
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco 50
I refuse to argue the point of an article that has no foundation in fact. Of course it matters where the story comes from. Everything depends on where the story is from and the veracity of the source.

This is why the country is in the state it's in. Folks like you can't tell nonsense from truth, but that sure as hell won't stop you from preaching it. F'n find the truth. It's out there and it ain't at Fox news.

It doesn't matter where the story comes from.............................................. ..............What?


So what you're saying is that you're refusing to even refute the story, just cause it came from Fox? You rather bitch and moan about where the story came from and look like an idiot instead? Gotcha.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #62
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 18,968
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell
This is not a subject that people are honest about. Even honest people are never honest about this subject. It makes people EXTREMELY uncomfortable to even SUGGEST that there are differences in IQ based on race, generally speaking. I'm not sure why intellect is such a sensitive subject, specifically, but it is. Actually, that's not true... yes I do. Anyhow... there are very few people that are self aware in terms of the intelligence department. Very few people are ever going to tell you they're of normal intelligence and even less are going to tell you that they are less intelligent than the norm/baseline despite the fact that the EXTREME VAST MAJORITY of people are of normal intelligence.

As far as this thread being mostly rational... lol... your very first post in this thread completely disregarded the two questions and started going off on some tangent about how environmental factors in youth influence IQ. And to that point, there is no doubt that environmental/parental factors have a large impact on IQ but to pretend like they are the only factor or some extremely large percentage(and by that I mean like 70, 80 or 90%) responsible for the average IQ and that all people just start at an equal base is nonsense.

IQs are not solely determined by nurture nor are they solely determined by nature. It's both.

So what's your explanation for Spanish being third on the list if upbringing and family mean so much? There are few cultures that have a stronger sense of family than Spanish people, at least the Spanish people here in the U.S., anyways.

As ****ed up as this is and I can't believe I'm saying it, stalker got this thread right. Black people in particular, generally speaking, are ultra sensitive about this subject.

There are people spouting black supremacy on this board day and night and you never say shit about how they're trolling... you just let them be... I post a GIF laughing at how triggered so many people in this thread are, and they are... as I knew they would be... and now suddenly I've degraded into an internet troll... lol. This thread if full of a bunch of people dismissing IQ tests as being nonsensical because their scores aren't where their emotions tell them that they should be ranked intellectually.

You respond to an actual discussion with a meme and a triggered gif in a topic designed for nothing but a race argument and act surprised I say you have become a troll?

I dont need to dismiss IQ tests. Do you really think id score poorly on an IQ test?

Your response there invalidates your entire premise. You acknowledge it can be altered by upbringing and education...then it isnt static. It is not innate. Intelligence itself may be....but not the test results.

If you actually care about the subject beyond trolling(which I doubt) you should read up on the Swedish studies. Almost all the same backgrounds. Sweden mandated military service like Israel for a very long time and had young males do IQ testing as a part of it at 17 18 and 19 years old.

Go look at the testing for different kids from adoption. Kids adopted by educated parents have higher test scores. Siblings broken up by adoption because of age? The parents who had higher IQs on their tests(the tests were done for decades) had adopted kids...with higher IQs. Peoples scores can change drastically with education and upbringing. IQ tests dont test natural ability...they test....test taking ability. If it judged something innate....it would be static and not so dynamic depending on outside factors.

You can learn to do well on IQ tests. You cant learn to be intelligent.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #63
nightlight
Not airballing my layups anymore
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 129
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell

As far as this thread being mostly rational... lol... your very first post in this thread completely disregarded the two questions and started going off on some tangent about how environmental factors in youth influence IQ. And to that point, there is no doubt that environmental/parental factors have a large impact on IQ but to pretend like they are the only factor or some extremely large percentage(and by that I mean like 70, 80 or 90%) responsible for the average IQ and that all people just start at an equal base is nonsense.


https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4641149/

Sourcing gets in the way of shouting anything that doesn't jive with your own beliefs as nonsense.
nightlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #64
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 18,968
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

I was gonna link you to a thing on Sweden being concerned about the number of immigrants not passing the military recruitment IQ test but I see its in swedish and the translation is on st0rmfront which...shouldnt shock me. Thats the kind of thing those types of people would be focused on I suppose.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:40 PM   #65
jstern
NBA lottery pick
 
jstern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,841
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
Dat wall.

It's true iq is garbage but for this thread I thought we were assuming it meant something. It does. It measures your ability to take an iq test.

The thing about intelligence is not many people think they are dumb. Some people might say I'm dumb, I don't get it, kind or self depreciatingly but I don't think many people look in the mirror like shit it sucks I'm stupid. Cept me. Haha. But usually it is more like Wai or what happen or damn drugs r bad.

Another thing about being smart or being dumb whatever is people assume it means something. It means shit. It's not like beauty which just is. It's not like athleticism which just is. Sure you have to work to maintain those things too, but intelligence has no value when it isn't used. And it's really ****in hard to use it. You think if someone is 150% smarter than someone else they can do a job and be more productive, make more money, but that's not true imo. It takes a special place for them, and in a normal place they get stuck staring at the walls and thinking about their existence instead of using their extra productivity.

So, I'm smarter than you is a good insult. Probably the best. For some reason people hate that other people, esp people they dislike, can be smarter, but it really doesn't mean anything.

Like 115-120 iq, if we assume iq exists and matters, that's it. That's what you want. You can do almost anything conceivable. Live any life you want. People who are 150 or 170 iq are fun to think about, because we know some famous people who have that, and we're like wow that's amazing how smart they are and how easy their life must be. But statistically there are many others just as smart some probably working a dead end job through no real fault of their own, and are miserable

If your capability is higher than the ceiling of where you are, it's meaningless, and the world doesn't have that many high ceiling places and a lot of them (like academia) are filled with cliques that would be loathe to let a "genius" be accepted.

My theory is a lot of people are a lot smarter than people think they are, just like you said. But you're wrong about 90 iq being dumb. It's perfectly respectable. And I'm not just saying that because I got a 90 something on an online test once. 90 is within average range imo

-Smak

Online IQ tests are not accurate. Real IQ tests have to be administered by a professional.

And I didn't mean to sound insulting by calling people dumb. The truth of the matter is that even people with high IQs, and all humans really are mentally flawed.

Also, character and emotional fitness are a totally different thing. There are high IQ people who can do math, notice patterns, and basically have a relatively fast mind, but their focus on things are extremely petty and a waste of life.

IQ also doesn't determine whether someone is a good person or not. Is a high IQ person who would manipulate you and ruin you more worthy than a lower IQ person who likes to help others?

But getting back to human intelligence, it's flawed, because the human brain very limited. There are no truly smart people out there. It just seems that way to us, because we have no higher intelligence to compare it to.

In a human sense, I don't think someone is truly smart until they realize how flawed they are.
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #66
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 28,186
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Anyone who thinks IQ tests aren’t reliable are plainly ignorant. They’re actually EXTREMELY reliable.

Things about IQ testing we know for certain.

1. As the standard of living in a country increases, so does the average IQ. The data is so consistent that there is no possibility of IQ testing not being reliable.

2. Immigrants from countries with low living standards who move to countries with high living standards see generational IQ increases. The next generation (I.e., the immigrants’ children) doesn’t immediately reach the same IQ level as the native population. It increases a little bit each generation. We talking about averages of course, not on an individual basis.

It’s entirely plausible that even though a white child and a black child are raised in similar living standards, the results are not free from “nurture”. Black people on average in America have had much lower standards of living for many generations. If the white child came from a long line of people who enjoyed a high standard of living and the black child is the first generation in his line to have a high standard of living, as I already explained with the immigrant example, you wouldn’t expect his line to catch up in a single generation.

The same would be true with just whites. On average, white kids who come from generations of high living standards will generally have higher IQs than whites who come from generations of low living standards. Again, this is just averages, not on an individual basis.

We don’t have enough data to know for certain if all populations have the same IQ ceiling. We would need many more generations of testing people of similar living standards to know for sure.
NumberSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #67
Smoke117
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Smoke117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 21,469
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Yup.

Republicans have single handidly prevented this country from having any type of modern social infrastructure and lowered the bar for what the opposition can do and get away with. Literally just by demonizing immigrants and abortion they've been able to convince a huge swath of old white folk and rural types into voting away from any type of improvement.

And it's the racist democrats that want to keep the blacks on their welfare checks and in their low housing ghettos so they can keep them in check. Ignorant donut.

Last edited by Smoke117 : 09-10-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #68
jstern
NBA lottery pick
 
jstern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,841
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

There are two different people, one has a 150 IQ, and the other one has a 130 IQ. Which one is wiser?

The one with the 150 IQ is very smart, doesn't have to study as hard, can quickly notice patterns, and so on. That's just their natural ability. But character wise they will see a topic like the one in this thread and simply just starts using it to talk about how his race is superior, and starts putting down other races, because **** them.

Then you have the 130 IQ person. Not quite as smart, IQ wise as the other person. He sees a thread like this, and instead of being judgemental he seeks out to find why such differences exists. Starts looking into every aspect of intelligence and how it is affected by different factors. Nutrition, education.

The person with the 150 IQ might be "Intelligent," learn things with minimal effort, but that's where it ends, because he's going to get nowhere to the "true" reality of why things are the way they are. His reality is all going to be based on his arrogant dismissal and self focus.

While the person with the 130 IQ, his reality is going to be a lot closer to the true factual reality. (But never truly get there, because he's just human.).

So character is in a sense much more important than IQ. Because if you have a shit character, you're going to have an idle reality. Now imagine a shit character with an average 100 IQ.
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #69
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 28,186
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern
There are two different people, one has a 150 IQ, and the other one has a 130 IQ. Which one is wiser?

The one with the 150 IQ is very smart, doesn't have to study as hard, can quickly notice patterns, and so on. That's just their natural ability. But character wise they will see a topic like the one in this thread and simply just starts using it to talk about how his race is superior, and starts putting down other races, because **** them.

Then you have the 130 IQ person. Not quite as smart, IQ wise as the other person. He sees a thread like this, and instead of being judgemental he seeks out to find why such differences exists. Starts looking into every aspect of intelligence and how it is affected by different factors. Nutrition, education.

The person with the 150 IQ might be "Intelligent," learn things with minimal effort, but that's where it ends, because he's going to get nowhere to the "true" reality of why things are the way they are. His reality is all going to be based on his arrogant dismissal and self focus.n

While the person with the 130 IQ, his reality is going to be a lot closer to the true factual reality. (But never truly get there, because he's just human.).

So character is in a sense much more important than IQ. Because if you have a shit character, you're going to have an idle reality. Now imagine a shit character with an average 100 IQ.
Absolutely nobody is arguing that, higher IQ = better person. IQ is only 1 of many factors that makes up a person.
NumberSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:17 PM   #70
Long Duck Dong
Local High School Star
 
Long Duck Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,941
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern
So character is in a sense much more important than IQ. Because if you have a shit character, you're going to have an idle reality. Now imagine a shit character with an average 100 IQ.

Now imagine all the people running around with 80 IQs, shit characters and criminal pasts in the US. Those people are actually outbreeding not only your 130 and 150 IQ examples but those with 110+ IQs. I think we can all agree that as a nation we need to ensure the more intelligent, wise, law abiding people are entering this country and/or having much more children than dumb, unwise and criminal prone individuals.
Long Duck Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:21 PM   #71
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 18,968
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Anyone who thinks IQ tests aren’t reliable are plainly ignorant. They’re actually EXTREMELY reliable.

Ive heard otherwise from the people at the Sylvan learning center here that tests kids. My mom has been a teacher for about 40 years now and ive been having this discussion with educators, professors, and so on half of my life but....whatever.

I guess it comes down to what you think they are "EXTREMELY reliable" to do since you didnt really make that clear.

What I do know?

If you can be taught to have higher scores it doesnt measure your natural potential. And there is no question....you can be taught to do well on IQ tests.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:25 PM   #72
jstern
NBA lottery pick
 
jstern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,841
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Absolutely nobody is arguing that, higher IQ = better person. IQ is only 1 of many factors that makes up a person.

Hmm, not sure why you are telling me that.

I'm adding to the point that I was trying to make to ILLsmak. But even if I wasn't.

I mean would I have to wait until somebody specifically says IQ = better person for me to give the example that I gave?
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:41 AM   #73
HeatFanSince88
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 452
Default Re: Why do people get upset by speaking facts on the IQ of races?

Find me a country anyone here would prefer to live in in which the majority of the population is black/brown. meaning not white/east asian.

i'll wait.
HeatFanSince88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:35 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy