Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-11-2018, 01:24 AM   #16
Bimbo Coles
Local High School Star

Default Re: What does etiquette dictate in this situation? Streetball question.

Here's what I did: I didn't surrender the court. They started putting together a game, just assuming I'd play. How presumptuous! "I'm out, and I retain the right to the court". Yeah, that's verbatim. The second individual: "You're not going to do that to us, are you? Seriously, bro? Where's that rule?". To the latter enquiry, I said: "You don't need a rule, it's commonsense. You can't kick someone off the court". One of the group chimes in, "but you're excluding us". I told him that they're "welcome to shoot". F***, the audacity of people. No courtesy. No respect. I always ask folks if I can shoot (never barge in), and thank them each time they retrieve my ball. I wouldn't even think of thinking of playing a game without first asking the person on the court.

Why is shooting considered less than playing? Am I not meeting what the court was designed for? Would this happen to a woman? Would a child being taught be brushed aside? It's not like I'm kicking a ball along the ground - I'm shooting at the basket, and quite well too. Court occupied.
Bimbo Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:42 AM   #17
DCL
Very good NBA starter

if you never had any intention of playing, then all that drama could had been avoided if you just chose an empty playground where nobody ever goes instead of going to a popular place where a bunch of people come and expect to have games.

sure, i know what you're probably thinking -- it's a public basketball court and i have every right to occupy it with a basketball! i'm shooting a basketball by myself. how is that any less important than 5 or 6 other people wanting to use the basket for a game??? why do i got to move? why can't they drive and go elsewhere? i was here first.

sure, you can pull that card out, but do you want to be That Guy?

you're asking about etiquette.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:04 AM   #18
Bimbo Coles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
if you never had any intention of playing, then all that drama could had been avoided if you just chose an empty playground where nobody ever goes instead of going to a popular place where a bunch of people come and expect to have games.

sure, i know what you're probably thinking -- it's a public basketball court and i have every right to occupy it with a basketball! i'm shooting a basketball by myself. how is that any less important than 5 or 6 other people wanting to use the basket for a game??? why do i got to move? why can't they drive and go elsewhere? i was here first.

sure, you can pull that card out, but do you want to be That Guy?

you're asking about etiquette.
Sure, I'm asking about etiquette. Etiquette that is clearly not being observed by those taking over the court. The situation is avoidable on their end. Manners need to be shown. I'm a gentleman, yes, but I'm not going to give in to those bereft of any consideration for others.

There's no option to find another court. This is my local. The court is shared by both sole shooters and group players.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #19
JohnnySic
green is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
there are certain courts to go where you just go shoot and they're empty all the time. even if you want a game, ain't nobody coming unless they came with you.

and then there are courts where it's always packed and everybody just show up to get runs. if you're a loner guy who shows up and just wants to hog a space and shoot around but refuse to play, maaan, get the fvvvvvvck off the court. your ass autistic or something? you don't belong there.
This. You dont go to a busy court and expect to have it to yourself. There are courts (at least in my area) that are almost always empty. Go to one of those.
JohnnySic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #20
pauk
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
there are certain courts to go where you just go shoot and they're empty all the time. even if you want a game, ain't nobody coming unless they came with you.

and then there are courts where it's always packed and everybody just show up to get runs. if you're a loner guy who shows up and just wants to hog a space and shoot around but refuse to play, maaan, get the fvvvvvvck off the court. your ass autistic or something? you don't belong there.

Would love to find a court like that, been searching all my life... never found one, anywhere in Europe... the ones i do find empty are empty for a big reason.... the court is messed up, hoop has no net, bent rim, hoop is in some kinder garden school & is sitting at 7' . etc.

I just want to practice my jumpshot & freethrows, love the sound of "swish!" (so a crispy net is a requirement), its my zen, its how i mentally relax, its my sanctuary... a 10' hoop & with a net (no chain bs) and im good to go, even if its sitting in the midst of lava, i just want to shoot damnit.... is that to much to ask for? But all of those hoops are sitting on courts that are occupied 24-7 who play 3vs3 etc..

Are there any nice empty courts / hoops like that in US? If so, im moving!

Im kinda leaning towards Bimbo Coles opinion on this one.

I think there should be like a:

"shooters hoop" where people shoot J's, anybody can barge in and get his J's in, no problem, even better perhaps as we can retrieve eachothers balls

and

"3vs3 etc hoop", queue up / play with them / bother them instead..... and if you are so damn many why not rent a gym court? When you are so many its cheap/worth it..... For a single shooter that is not an option... its not often you get a team/group of friends and rent a court.... just to shoot... lol

Last edited by pauk : 09-11-2018 at 09:10 AM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #21
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

What kinda dudes wanna ball with their friends all the time? I'm trying to play on the best court, now unless the other 3 courts are filled with scrubs, I'm finding my way to calling next on the best court.

I don't wanna play 2 on 2, that shit is boring and tiring unless you half ass it. If that's the ONLY option, I'll play but 3 on 3 and 4 on 4 >>>> 2on2 or 1on1. The guy who won't play should sit out, it's only fair.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #22
DCL
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Would love to find a court like that, been searching all my life... never found one, anywhere in Europe... the ones i do find empty are empty for a big reason.... the court is messed up, hoop has no net, bent rim, hoop is in some kinder garden school & is sitting at 7' . etc.

I just want to practice my jumpshot & freethrows, love the sound of "swish!" (so a crispy net is a requirement), its my zen, its how i mentally relax, its my sanctuary... a 10' hoop & with a net (no chain bs) and im good to go, even if its sitting in the midst of lava, i just want to shoot damnit.... is that to much to ask for? But all of those hoops are sitting on courts that are occupied 24-7 who play 3vs3 etc..

"shooters hoop" where people shoot J's, anybody can barge in and get his J's in, no problem, even better perhaps as we can retrieve eachothers balls

and

"3vs3 etc hoop", queue up / play with them / bother them instead..... and if you are so damn many why not rent a gym court? When you are so many its cheap/worth it..... For a single shooter that is not an option... its not often you get a team/group of friends and rent a court.... just to shoot... lol

in my city, you will find more UNUSED basketball courts than used ones on any given day.

and nope, they're not all ghetto junkyard courts. a lot are alright but just under-utilized. there are just soooooo many options to choose from.

every outdoor court has its own character. you know which places only play full court. you know which ones only play half and nothing else. they all have different scoring systems. sometimes it's to 16 by 1 and 2, or sometimes it's to 24 or 32 by 2 and 3. some places have dudes calling weak ass fouls on everything, some never allow the game to stop. whatever. you don't set those rules. they were already set way before you ever got there. and you know all the average skill levels at these places. there are courts that only got athletic dudes dunking all over the place. and there are courts where only old guys shoot airballs. and then there are places that got a mix of everybody, which is where i usually go to. but regardless, the main point is that there are just a ton of basketball courts to choose from, and if you happen to just want to find a basket to shoot free throws all to yourself and have nobody bother you, it's not hard to do that.

but obviously, not everybody lives around places like this. and i admit i have taken these things for granted. it sounds like you and bimbo coles have to share your local court with a lot of people because you guys don't have many options. well, in that case, you should already know the etiquette of your own playground and how to settle these things. in my area, if there's a shooter hogging up space on a court that's usually used for full court games, it's HIS BAD. there are many options for him, and he should have gone somewhere else in the first place.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #23
iamgine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbo Coles
Here's what I did: I didn't surrender the court. They started putting together a game, just assuming I'd play. How presumptuous! "I'm out, and I retain the right to the court". Yeah, that's verbatim. The second individual: "You're not going to do that to us, are you? Seriously, bro? Where's that rule?". To the latter enquiry, I said: "You don't need a rule, it's commonsense. You can't kick someone off the court". One of the group chimes in, "but you're excluding us". I told him that they're "welcome to shoot". F***, the audacity of people. No courtesy. No respect. I always ask folks if I can shoot (never barge in), and thank them each time they retrieve my ball. I wouldn't even think of thinking of playing a game without first asking the person on the court.

Why is shooting considered less than playing? Am I not meeting what the court was designed for? Would this happen to a woman? Would a child being taught be brushed aside? It's not like I'm kicking a ball along the ground - I'm shooting at the basket, and quite well too. Court occupied.
I think the common unwritten rule in the US is the court priority is for playing game. If you are 'shooting and retain the right to the court', then I think you're the one breaking the rules/etiquette. It's only rude if they don't ask you to play with them. Now this might be different in different cultures/countries.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #24
DaHeezy
NBA lottery pick

If you want to shoot alone, buy a hoop and put it in your driveway.
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:42 AM   #25
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

If you want to shoot on a court that is heavily populated for full court games, do so at hours when the court is empty. If you are serious enough to work on your game shooting by yourself, then you should be able to wake your ass up at 5:30am and shoot before work like a real baller. No excuses. Iím not interested in hearing it. Put in that work and it will pay off when everyone else shows up to the court.
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #26
Bimbo Coles
Local High School Star

Rudeness should be met in kind. Even if I'm in the wrong, I'm glad they were aghast when I mirrored their lack of manners. Had they asked me nicely, I would have relinquished the court. I guess what DCL and others are saying is that they don't need to, but it does no one harm to be courteous and respectful in these kind of situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk

and

It's so therapeutic. I'm there 2, 3 hours at a time. I just enjoy going through my own process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
I think the common unwritten rule in the US is the court priority is for playing game. If you are 'shooting and retain the right to the court', then I think you're the one breaking the rules/etiquette. It's only rude if they don't ask you to play with them. Now this might be different in different cultures/countries.
Hence my asking the question. I don't think that I'm in the wrong, but their may be an unwritten rule that I'm unaware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
If you want to shoot on a court that is heavily populated for full court games, do so at hours when the court is empty. If you are serious enough to work on your game shooting by yourself, then you should be able to wake your ass up at 5:30am and shoot before work like a real baller. No excuses. Iím not interested in hearing it. Put in that work and it will pay off when everyone else shows up to the court.
I'm the most advanced shooter who frequents the court. It's they who need to work on it.

The games aren't shooter-friendly. Everyone's driving. My skill set isn't transferable.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #27
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

There is a “first come, first served” element here. It’s also noteable that there are multiple courts.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #28
Bimbo Coles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
There is a ďfirst come, first servedĒ element here. Itís also noteable that there are multiple courts.
You're on my side?
Old 09-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #29
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbo Coles
You're on my side?
I ain't...me and my crew would have bounced you off the court if you want to hog the court to yourself and not want to play ball. FOH
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #30
Bimbo Coles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
I ain't...me and my crew would have bounced you off the court if you want to hog the court to yourself and not want to play ball. FOH
I'd obviously try to de-escalate the situation, and I'm not keen on a criminal record, but I'm not taking a licking. As I said, I'm a local. It wouldn't take me long to return with, say, a baseball bat... sans ball and glove.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: