Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #31
Hardtop Hero
I rule the local playground

Default Re: Trump Gets Backlash For Doing A Double Fist Pump Arriving At 9/11 Memorial Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
He was greeting a group of supporters who were happy to see him.

Trump: "I saw hundreds of Muslims celebrating in New Jersey after 9/11"

Lie

Trump (day of 9/11) "Guess I have the biggest buildings in NYC now"

Lie, and the comment of a sociopath

Trump: "I lost hundreds of friends in 9/11"

Political differences are one thing. But just these comments alone make me think that anyone who would actually support someone that would say the above has a deficiency of character. I just can't see it any differently.

Nah, he's just a sociopath incapable of feeling empathy or the emotions that normal people have.
Hardtop Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #32
Dro
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Trump Gets Backlash For Doing A Double Fist Pump Arriving At 9/11 Memorial Service

Trump Calls Hurricane Maria A Success

First thing on his mind this morning wasn't Florence, but Maria.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...o-rico-success

Quote:
Nearly 3,000 people died in Puerto Rico from Hurricane Maria
San Juan mayor calls comments ‘a stain on his presidency’
Lauren Gambino in Washington

@laurenegambino
Wed 12 Sep 2018 02.41 EDT First published on Tue 11 Sep 2018 21.53 EDT
Shares
Trump in Puerto Rico in October last year. Trump said on Tuesday in the Oval Office: ‘I think Puerto Rico was an incredible, unsung success.’
Trump in Puerto Rico in October last year. Trump said on Tuesday in the Oval Office: ‘I think Puerto Rico was an incredible, unsung success.’ Photograph: Carolyn Cole/LA Times via Getty Images

Donald Trump on Tuesday touted the “incredible, unsung success” of the federal response last year in Puerto Rico, where the government estimates nearly 3,000 died as a result of Hurricane Maria.

The president’s remarks drew swift condemnation from the island and the mainland as Trump sought to assure the public that his administration was as “ready as anybody has ever been” for the powerful 500-mile wide Hurricane Florence swirling toward the Carolina coast.

“This is an offensive, hurtful and blatantly false comment from the president,” Senate minority leader Charles Schumer tweeted on Tuesday. “Nearly 3,000 of our fellow citizens died in Puerto Rico following Hurricane Maria. That is the complete opposite of ‘success.’”

Carmen Yulín Cruz, the mayor of San Juan and a fierce critic of Trump, said his comments added “insult to injury”.

She told CNN: “This is a stain on his presidency. He says he’s done a good job when 3,000 people have died? God bless us all if this man continues on this path.”

Bernie Sanders added:“Nearly 3,000 people died. That is not a success. That is a tragedy and a disgrace.”

Trump spoke from the Oval Office, where he was receiving a briefing on efforts to prepare for Florence by Federal Emergency Management Agency head Brock Long,

1:38
'We're as ready as anyone has ever been' ahead of Hurricane Florence, says Trump – video
Asked on Tuesday what lessons his administration learned from responding to storms in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico last year, Trump boasted that he deserved top marks.

“I think Puerto Rico was an incredible, unsung success,” he said. “Texas, we had been given A-plusses for. Florida, we’ve been given A-plusses for. I think, in a certain way, the best job we did was Puerto Rico but nobody would understand that.”

The administration’s efforts in Puerto Rico were widely criticized as slow and insufficient. During a visit to the island last September, Trump tossed paper towels into a crowd and told Puerto Rican officials that they should be proud the damage did not compare to the havoc wreaked by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, which he described as a “real catastrophe”.

As many as 1,800 deaths are attributed to Hurricane Katrina, which devastated New Orleans. Last month, nearly one year after Maria struck Puerto Rico, the island’s government raised the official death toll to 2,975 people – a dramatic increase on the previous official figure of 64.

“Puerto Rico was, actually, our toughest one of all because it’s an island– you can’t truck things onto it. Everything is by boat,” Trump said. “We moved a hospital into PuertoRico – a tremendous military hospital in the form of a ship.”

He continued: “I think Puerto Rico was incredibly successful.”
3000 American citizens btw. In all seriousness, I hope people like Rufus will be ok and get out of there.

Last edited by Dro : 09-12-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #33
Hardtop Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro

In all seriousness, I hope people like Rufus will be ok and get out of there.

Lol, you think MAGGATs care about Puerto Ricans? lmao. Hell, it could've happened in a red state and they'd still say "Mah President did the best he could. It was Obummer's policies that made it so he couldn't respond like he wanted to".
Old 09-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #34
Dro
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtop Hero
Lol, you think MAGGATs care about Puerto Ricans? lmao. Hell, it could've happened in a red state and they'd still say "Mah President did the best he could. It was Obummer's policies that made it so he couldn't respond like he wanted to".
Of course not, but I would think they would care about American citizens. I edited my post at the bottom to add that they were American citizens(I added that for them, not us, we care about everyone but I know they don't).

And here's the US' own Government Accountability Office saying FEMA was not prepared and not properly funded.

Quote:
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — A federal report published Tuesday found that staff shortages and a lack of trained personnel slowed the U.S. government response to Hurricane Maria, a storm estimated to have killed nearly 3,000 people in Puerto Rico.

The U.S. Government Accountability Office said 54 percent of federal emergency personnel were not qualified to do the rescue work in October 2017, a month after the Category 4 hurricane hit the U.S. territory. The report also states there were logistical challenges due to the location of Puerto Rico and the neighboring U.S. Virgin Islands, and added that the Federal Emergency Management Agency had to assume many of the local government’s responsibilities given the loss of power and communications as well as “limited local preparedness for a major hurricane.”

Christopher Currie, the GAO’s director of emergency management issues, said in a phone interview that FEMA was already stretched thin by responding to hurricanes Harvey and Irma, as well as California wildfires.

“The response in Florida, Texas and California was about what we planned for,” he said. “In Puerto Rico, obviously, it was a much, much different story.”

FEMA did not anticipate not having the support of local government officials in Puerto Rico, who he said were still reeling from the hurricane — the strongest to hit the territory in nearly a century. In addition, the power grid was destroyed and 95 percent of cellphone towers were not working, leaving the island with no communication for almost a week. This meant officials did not immediately understand the scale of the damage. Hurricane Maria hit on Sept. 20 and is estimated to have caused $100 billion in damage.

“Once the scale was understood, that’s when FEMA called in the Department of Defense. They said, ‘We’re overwhelmed. ... We need help,’” Currie said. “From a FEMA standpoint, a couple of things happened that they were not anticipating that they probably could have.”

The report also said that FEMA lacked enough Spanish-speaking employees, and that some staffers were not physically fit enough to handle the “extreme or austere” environment.

Currie added that FEMA was already 30 percent understaffed after Hurricane Harvey, and that some personnel were already drained by the storms and fires that hit prior to Maria.

“By the time they got to Puerto Rico, they were very tired,” he said.

The report was issued nearly a week after U.S. President Donald Trump said his administration did a “fantastic job” responding to Hurricane Maria.

FEMA said in a statement that the GAO report captures the complexity of last year’s disasters, adding that the agency issued its own report in July and has already issued recommendations for improvements. The FEMA report in part found that it underestimated how many supplies were needed in Puerto Rico and how difficult it would be to get those to the U.S. territory after the hurricane. Officials said they have since increased the amount of supplies in the affected U.S. territories, improved staffers’ skills and readiness and updated to a satellite-based communication system, among other improvements.

The GAO report, however, said it was too soon to determine whether those actions are sufficient, and that a review would be issued in mid-2019. It also reported that FEMA identified a theft fraud “scheme it had not identified following prior disasters” that affected Texas, Florida, California, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The GAO report also stated that federal, state and local officials also struggled to find temporary housing for those affected by Hurricane Maria. Currently, tens of thousands of people remain without a proper roof at the peak of this year’s hurricane season.

Currie said the recovery from Hurricane Maria remains a big concern.

“There are just a number of huge challenges still to come,” he said.

Yup, a success alright.

#MAGA

Edit - I like that MAGGATS term, I think I'm going to steal it.
Dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #35
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
You forget, this isn't his first 9/11 as President. Pull up his Tweets and clips from 9/11/17 and you'll see he respects and honors the memory of 9/11.

This attack on him and his character is relentless by you people and it just looks bad.

He has a habit of behaving this way on solemn days and during solemn occasions. It's not surprising to see him bash the FBI and the DOJ on 9/11... though on that particular day, you'd think the President of the United States would be able to take the day off from his normal invective to uphold the dignity of the office and offer a more unifying message to the country... but that's the first thing he tweeted. It was the first thing that was on his mind. He has little respect for the weight and duty of the office and it's telling how little has changed now that he is President.

MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #36
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

This is the kinda thing that doesn’t justify discussing. Like Obama and the tan suit that had a republican or two calling him unpresidential.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #37
Vino24
Local High School Star

This pretty much guarantees Trump's 2nd term
Vino24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #38
ItsMillerTime
OL A DI PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
This is the kinda thing that doesn’t justify discussing. Like Obama and the tan suit that had a republican or two calling him unpresidential.

Yep. This is a non news story.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #39
ZenMaster
Whap'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro

3000 American citizens btw. In all seriousness, I hope people like Rufus will be ok and get out of there.

I've read that 3000 number is a bit exaggerated in terms of deaths being caused by the Hurricane, supposedly it includes natural deaths in the same period.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #40
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Quote:
Uh... so tired of this nonsense talking point. Nobody cared that Obama wore a tan suit. There were a few media puff pieces about it. That’s it. Like when CNN did a puff piece about how Trump drinks a lot of Diet Coke. Stop pretending that people “lost their minds” or “went crazy” over his tan suit.

A better example would be when Obama saluted with a coffee cup in his hand. People on my own side actually did behave ridiculously over that. Saying things like it was unpresidential or he has no respect for the military. Right wing media certainly did nit-pick and demonize these little nonsense things. The same way left wing media and “objective” media nit-picks and demonizes little nonsense things with Trump.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #41
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Obviously somebody cared Obama wore that suit or there wouldn’t be video clips of people talking about it. You’d be more accurate to say nobody reasonable cared and most people didn’t know about it much the same as this situation here.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #42
Hardtop Hero

Quote:
Obviously somebody cared Obama wore that suit or there wouldn’t be video clips of people talking about it. You’d be more accurate to say nobody reasonable cared and most people didn’t know about it much the same as this situation here.

Should people care about these 9/11 related statements blaze?

Quote:
Trump: "I saw hundreds of Muslims celebrating in New Jersey after 9/11"

Lie

Trump (day of 9/11) "Guess I have the biggest buildings in NYC now"

Trump: "I lost hundreds of friends in 9/11"

Old 09-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #43
90sgoat
I like Mike!

9/11 was done by Mossad.
90sgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #44
Funktion
NBA lottery pick

Dude lies about any and everything.
Funktion is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: