Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #16
Rolando
Local High School Star

Default Re: US is now the world's top producer of oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
The US isn't selling oil. Private businesses are. This isn't a geo-political strategy.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

That's right. The US has very little connection with private businesses...I forgot about that....Separation of Business and State...of course. My mistake. It was just a crazy theory of mine.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando
That's right. The US has very little connection with private businesses...I forgot about that....Separation of Business and State...of course. My mistake. It was just a crazy theory of mine.

The oil that is being extracted today...are you saying it was easily extractable economically decades ago? You're clearly ignorant if this is what you think.

Also, the US isn't China. So yes, there still is separation of business and state.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #18
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Cool to see Trumpeters cheering on oil production. Speaks volumes as to how little they comprehend basic science. I expect nothing less.

Reminds me of Trumpeters yelling "COAL COAL COAL." Natural gas is slowly taking coal out of business across the US as it has dipped in cost in recent years. I personally wish we could have more nuclear facilities, but sadly the train has left the station when it comes to nuclear. USA hasn't created a new nuclear powerplant since like 1978 due to fear after Chernobyl and three-mile island mishaps...

Anyways, the next goal needs to be oil, which mostly fuels the transportation sector. I think biofuels, such as ethanol, can take on oil, but better option is electricity generated using residential solar. Cars being electric and charged by individual household fueled by solar power should be the residential answer. For commercial transportation, it needs to be ethanol-based (or something similar to ethanol - I don't know what other biofuels exist out there).

Hopefully, the orange buffoon will be out of the office in 2020 and after Mueller takes him apart, Republicans get slapped in the face by Ms Reality in 2020. Then we can return back to normal - renewed focus on renewables after 2016-20 accident in the White House led by the Orange Toddler in Command.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #19
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
Cool to see Trumpeters cheering on oil production. Speaks volumes as to how little they comprehend basic science. I expect nothing less.

Reminds me of Trumpeters yelling "COAL COAL COAL." Natural gas is slowly taking coal out of business across the US as it has dipped in cost in recent years. I personally wish we could have more nuclear facilities, but sadly the train has left the station when it comes to nuclear. USA hasn't created a new nuclear powerplant since like 1978 due to fear after Chernobyl and three-mile island mishaps...

Anyways, the next goal needs to be oil, which mostly fuels the transportation sector. I think biofuels, such as ethanol, can take on oil, but better option is electricity generated using residential solar. Cars being electric and charged by individual household fueled by solar power should be the residential answer. For commercial transportation, it needs to be ethanol-based (or something similar to ethanol - I don't know what other biofuels exist out there).

Hopefully, the orange buffoon will be out of the office in 2020 and after Mueller takes him apart, Republicans get slapped in the face by Ms Reality in 2020. Then we can return back to normal - renewed focus on renewables after 2016-20 accident in the White House led by the Orange Toddler in Command.

Oil production came from private businesses and innovation. Renewables won't come from the government.

How do you plan on making ethanol? Replacing shit tons of land to make corn/sugar cane? That won't have its own environmental concerns with it?

Love how you cheer on natural gas replacing coal as the boom in oil production generally coincides with a boom in natural gas production as well. The same technology that provides added oil production is used for natural gas as well.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #20
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando
Global warming and the greenhouse effect is some real actual civilization threatening stuff. Just check out the largest hurricane to come ashore north of Florida this coming weekend.

It's actually weakening and will not be nearly as strong as Hazel was in 1954, the last time a CAT 4 hit the NC coast. Did we have global warming back then too?
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #21
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Oil production came from private businesses and innovation. Renewables won't come from the government.

How do you plan on making ethanol? Replacing shit tons of land to make corn/sugar cane? That won't have its own environmental concerns with it?

Love how you cheer on natural gas replacing coal as the boom in oil production generally coincides with a boom in natural gas production as well. The same technology that provides added oil production is used for natural gas as well.

Petroleum is usually what we focus on with the general term oil.. Also, natural gas is without a question cleaner than petroleum. Does anyone even dispute that??

Natural gas is not renewable so it's not an ideal energy source, but vastly better option than coal/petroleum. I know we use natural gas for electricity generation so we can't replace petroleum straight up with natural gas or nuclear or even solar. We would need to shift transportation sector to electric-based vehicles bilaterally to benefit from shifting away from petroleum at the same time.

Also, we can use a combination of ethanol (or another biofuel) with petroleum. Maybe 50/50?? I would prefer it being used just for commercial vehicles though. Residential vehicles in an ideal world would be electric.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #22
Rolando
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
It's actually weakening and will not be nearly as strong as Hazel was in 1954, the last time a CAT 4 hit the NC coast. Did we have global warming back then too?

I hope that you are right. It would be nice if the storm would weaken.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: