Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Wizardly Cool

Default Nuclear Winter

I'm not a conspiracy theorist who believes the world is soon coming to an inevitable ending doom, but I do believe specific potential global tragedies are realistic possibilities. One of them, is nuclear winter. I'm sure most of you guys on here already know what nuclear winter is, but for those few who don't I'm going to briefly describe it.

Nuclear Winter is a non-proven currently hypothetical prediction that a global climate change would result if a large-scale nuclear war were to erupt. Something similar (however smaller) to an asteroid impact or say a supervolcano eruption. Basically just massive amounts of smoke and dust injected into the earth's stratosphere. It would ultimately block almost all sunlight, freeze the vast majority of the planet, and most living things would eventually die.

If anyone has been watching the news recently, the US is underway to construct a missile defense system in central Europe (Czech Republic). Russia's initial response was not indulgent, and it shouldn't be. How would the US react if Russia was doing the same in say Colombia? We'd react apprehensively. We claim it's in the wake of Iran's accelerated nuclear program, but with Bush's attack-first, ask questions later resume I can see why other nations would question our motives.

Honestly, I didn't grow up during the height of the Cold War, but I don't see how people were able to sleep at night. I've talked to my parents, grandparents and others, who said they just learned to live with it, and go about their normal everyday lives as if everything was peachy. Knowing there's both friends (US) and enemies (USSR) awaiting with their fingers on the nuclear trigger would drive me insane. I don't believe another stockpiling race will emerge, but there could be a time again when we're itching to pull the trigger again.

Just the US and Russia alone have enough stockpiles to destroy the planet over and over and over again. Why? I suppose back then it was a "our dick's bigger than yours'" pissing contest. Now, it seems India and Pakistan are flexing their muscles. Iran wants in the mix too. China is a threat. Very few things in this world make me feel uncomfortable, but the thought of nuclear war is something I honestly do worry about. I'm not biting my nails, but I do wonder if and when this will happen.

I'm not a "save the world" hippy either. I believe we need super advanced weaponry to keep the world safe and protect our own well being, but we don't need weapons that are intended to kill millions of people at once. These weapons of immense mass destruction are nothing more than smoking mirrors intended to scare the world into believing we can't be fu*ked with. Well, apparently everyone in the world wants to be the bully too.

More and more nations will eventually develop these weapons, and I'm just waiting for one who's itching to pull the trigger to do so. If nothing else, it'd be one hell of a fireworks display. Are we ready for a nuclear winter?

Discuss...

Last edited by Wizardly Cool : 06-15-2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Nuclear Winter

Nash equilibrium states that disarmament is not a feasible solution.

(essentially whoever disarms first wil get nuked the hell out of)

nuclear winter would be the end of human life and other current life forms, but the Earth will not be destroyed. in millions of years, the earth will regrow life... maybe not in its present variety, but it will reform.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It will be hard to maintain a respectable posts-per-day average on ISH in the event of a nucleur winter
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Honestly, I didn't grow up during the height of the Cold War, but I don't see how people were able to sleep at night. I've talked to my parents, grandparents and others, who said they just learned to live with it, and go about their normal everyday lives as if everything was peachy.

this is very true .....Nuclear war scared me to f*ckin death as a kid....I saw a movie called "the day after" and I couldnt sleep for a month...... We lived near one of those sirens (i think the fire company ones) and after I saw the movie where the horns was blaring, I would hear that at noght and jump up scared to death...

it was some scary stuff back in the day...In reality the world is alot more scary today due to all the little things that could end your life, but yeah..... that cold war sh*t hung a big cloud of doom over everyone
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: