Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Randy's Movie Recommendation

Letters From Iwo Jima (2006) directed by Clint Eastwood.

I just watched this movie last night, and after only one viewing I feel confident is saying that Letters From Iwo Jima just might be the greatest war movie ever made. It tells the story of the Battle of Iwo Jima, but this time it is from the POV of the Japanese soldiers stationed there.

LFIJ is the "sequel" to Flags Of Our Fathers, a movie about American soldiers that fought on Iwo Jima and their controversial return home. Flags is a good movie, but Letters blows it out of the water. The cinematography and battle scenes are amazing and the characters are developed with perfection. I actually found myself rooting for the Japanese soldiers during the war because I felt that I was actually there with them.

I am a huge Martin Scorsese fan and was extremely happy when he won Best Director and Picture for The Departed, but now that I have seen Letters From Iwo Jima, I feel that Clint Eastwood was stiffed by the committee because he has already won each award twice for both Million Dollar Baby and Unforgiven.

Go and rent this movie! It is both beautiful and inspiring to watch.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Default Re: Randy's Movie Recommendation

you take movies pretty seriously.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Randy

Yes I do, and this is one of the best movies made this decade.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

Just out of curiosity, do you go to film school?
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkylikemonkey
Just out of curiosity, do you go to film school?

Yeah I do. I'm taking summer classes right now, my first "real" student film will be done and edited by mid-July. It should only end up being like 2-5 minutes long so I'm going to try to post it on YouTube.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
The_Masterplan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Yeah I do. I'm taking summer classes right now, my first "real" student film will be done and edited by mid-July. It should only end up being like 2-5 minutes long so I'm going to try to post it on YouTube.

are you gonna be in it?

BTW do you have any videos of yourself playing guitar.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

Quote:

What school are you going to?
Old 06-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
are you gonna be in it?

BTW do you have any videos of yourself playing guitar.

As of right now I plan on being in it, I'll probably have my best friends and my ex-gf in it too unless I can find another girl with long legs who doesn't mind being objectified

I have to write and shoot a few projects before this last one, so the short film I plan on posting is sort of an accumulation of everything we've done this summer up until now. I still have to pitch the idea to the guys in my filming group but I'm sure they'll be down for it. The only crappy thing is that we can't use copyrighted music and there are a few popular songs I wanted to use in it. Oh well.

I haven't posted any vids of me playing, I don't even have a YouTube account. I'm afraid that once I start posting stuff I'll probably never stop.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
Randy

Quote:
What school are you going to?

I went to the University of Colorado in Boulder but their program is more experimental and avant-garde filmmaking which really turned me off so I went searching for a more professional film school.

I had a dream on the 4th of June that told me to transfer so i looked online and found this place: http://www.coloradofilmschool.net I have no idea how I never saw this school before but somehow I knew I was supposed to go there. I took a tour on Monday the 6th, loved it and knew it was for me, so I signed up for two summer classes that started the next day, the 7th. I got the last opening there was in the class; had I waited just one day to take my tour I never would've gotten into the classes.

It all feels like some divine plan is in motion to lead me here so I can be the next Spielberg. Sounds kind of gay, I know.

Are you interested in filmmaking or something?
Old 06-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

Quote:
I went to the University of Colorado in Boulder but their program is more experimental and avant-garde filmmaking which really turned me off so I went searching for a more professional film school.

I had a dream on the 4th of June that told me to transfer so i looked online and found this place: http://www.coloradofilmschool.net I have no idea how I never saw this school before but somehow I knew I was supposed to go there. I took a tour on Monday the 6th, loved it and knew it was for me, so I signed up for two summer classes that started the next day, the 7th. I got the last opening there was in the class; had I waited just one day to take my tour I never would've gotten into the classes.

It all feels like some divine plan is in motion to lead me here so I can be the next Spielberg. Sounds kind of gay, I know.

Are you interested in filmmaking or something?

Yeah I'm very interested in filmmaking. I'm going to college next year and planned to go for film.. I got into the film programs at Syracuse, Ithaca and Purchase. I was rejected from the film programs at NYU and Emerson, but I was accepted to the studio TV program at Emerson. I decided to still go there even though it wasn't for film in hopes that their connections will still get me into something film related in the future.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #11
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

Quote:

That's cool. I've been thinking about taking some film classes.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:07 PM   #12
Randy

Quote:
Yeah I'm very interested in filmmaking. I'm going to college next year and planned to go for film.. I got into the film programs at Syracuse, Ithaca and Purchase. I was rejected from the film programs at NYU and Emerson, but I was accepted to the studio TV program at Emerson. I decided to still go there even though it wasn't for film in hopes that their connections will still get me into something film related in the future.

So where did you end up going? Spielberg got rejected from both USC and UCLA film schools so I wouldn't get too down.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

The only thing about film school that I'm not sure about is if you have the talent why not just spend the money you're spending on film school and make a movie? I know film school can teach you a lot of things if you're going to go into camera work, production, or something specific like that but how many writers/directors that are working today went to film school?

Film school can teach you a lot but it can't teach you talent.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #14
jbot
Future D1 Dad

i've gotta see those movies then. i love war movies, especially wwII flicks. clint eastwood is an amazing man, both as a director and actor. glad to see you're in film school, randy. that's something i always wanted to do.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:16 PM   #15
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

Quote:
So where did you end up going? Spielberg got rejected from both USC and UCLA film schools so I wouldn't get too down.

Well I start college next fall, I'll be going to Emerson.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: