Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #16
Kobe=MVP07`
Local High School Star

Default Re: Melo>Bron. The playoffs proved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
Melo couldn't even get his team out of the first round with AI.

Melo would have NEVER done what Bron did to Detroit. Melo doesn't have the heart.

to the first thing you said, thats just stupid, it doesnt matter at wat stage in theplayoffs it happend, they both lost to the eventual champs, atleast melo could get a win or 2 in that series..
im not choosing sides actualy, cz u can argue easily that melo hasa better team with ai camby etc...

they may play the same position but they are very diff players

lebrons biggest fall is his shot, and his clutchness [dont bring up game 5 [or 6 i forget] where he had 48 pts, cz he wwas chuking everything he was hot, for gods sake sasha vujacic got hot 1 game too, 1 game doesnt make sum1 clutch]

melo however is 1 of the most clutch players in the nba , i remeber reading that in the last 30 seconds of the game with the score with 3, osmehing like that, melo was mot clutch at taking andmaking those shots..

obviously lebron gets his stats reb ast...
Kobe=MVP07` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #17
allball
National High School Star

I like both of these players and have no reason to choose either as best. as for the whole clutch argument, we must be talking reg. season here and no doubt Melo has better players on his team. as I've said before they have different strengths. give me either and I'll be happy.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #18
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

i'll take Lebron over Melo. he's a better all around player. its a shame that neither of them have that Larry Bird killer instinct.

Melo wishes he could pass like Lebron but Lebron wishes he had a jumper like Melo. Melo's midrange shooting is already insane and he's only 23.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #19
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe=MVP07`
to the first thing you said, thats just stupid, it doesnt matter at wat stage in theplayoffs it happend, they both lost to the eventual champs, atleast melo could get a win or 2 in that series..
im not choosing sides actualy, cz u can argue easily that melo hasa better team with ai camby etc...

they may play the same position but they are very diff players

lebrons biggest fall is his shot, and his clutchness [dont bring up game 5 [or 6 i forget] where he had 48 pts, cz he wwas chuking everything he was hot, for gods sake sasha vujacic got hot 1 game too, 1 game doesnt make sum1 clutch]

melo however is 1 of the most clutch players in the nba , i remeber reading that in the last 30 seconds of the game with the score with 3, osmehing like that, melo was mot clutch at taking andmaking those shots..

obviously lebron gets his stats reb ast...

I was going to reply to this thread about how Bron has had at least 3 clutch playoff perfomances better than anything Melo has ever done in the post-season but then after realizing I don't even understand what the **** your saying in your post I decided not to bother.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #20
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Melo was guarded by Bowen too, they just figured out Bowen couldn't effect him. He was doubled and trapped everytime in the post. And actually Parker and Vaughn were guarding AI better than Bowen anyways.

Fact of the matter is this is the only way to compare them, same competitor in the same postseason. And while the help of AI didn't allow them to use the tried and true method of sending the team to Melo because nobody else can make shots, Melo was still guarded as tough as anyone in the postseason and Lebron got anything but tougher coverage. The Spurs used help to make sure Lebron couldn't drive, but they left him open for the jumper. He simply can't shoot. Melo's other advantages vs playing a team like the Spurs is simply he can score in so many different ways. He can quickly take a guy one on one, or catch and shoot, post up, finish off the pick and roll. Lebron can stand in the corner without the ball, and when he gets it dribble for 8 seconds before making a b-line for the hoop. The Spurs interior D won't allow that.

Lebron has a lot to learn. I mean I've never even seen the guy set a pick for someone else, and with the threat that he is it would certainly help open up his teammate.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #21
allball
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee

Lebron has a lot to learn. I mean I've never even seen the guy set a pick for someone else, and with the threat that he is it would certainly help open up his teammate.

come on dude. who is lebron going to set a pick for? it's useless to set a pick for a non-penetrator and the Cavs have no penetrating guards at least until recently with Gibson. bad call coach.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #22
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
come on dude. who is lebron going to set a pick for? it's useless to set a pick for a non-penetrator and the Cavs have no penetrating guards at least until recently with Gibson. bad call coach.

Are you joking? Hughes is a guy that has in the past made a living being a slasher, just that the Cavs have tried to make him a jumpshooter to open things up for Bron, but slashing is his specialty. Sasha has proven to be a really good finisher and can get to the hoop. Gibson's pretty good to as a finisher (but he's probably the worst of the 3. All of them are penetrators, and all of them would benefit from pick from Bron. Bad scouting, Scout.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #23
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Using this as criteria for saying who is better than another is completely foolish.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:12 PM   #24
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IversonMelo2K7
What better way exists to gauge who is better than examine their comparative play in the playoffs against the best team, and best defense in the NBA (spurs). Melo was outstanding in the Spurs series, not possessing quite the athleticism of Bron but fundamentals "the king" will never dream of, specifically a silky-smooth jumper, ever-expanding range, and far better handles.

Melo puts up 26 on almost 50 percent shootiong, Bron puts up what 17 on 35 percent? This is in the playoffs, against the same team. Its pretty clear that Melo is the superior player.

a basketball related post? from this hardcore thug? using words like comparative and specifically? this is not very thug like i have to admit.
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #25
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

k anyways, imo lebron>melo

yea they played the same team but lebron's was on a much bigger level with a worse supporting cast. Melo had Camby, Iverson, Smith, and everyone else to free him up for those points. Don't get me wrong, Melo is a great player and i love his game but for now and ever lebron>melo
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #26
dawsey6
/thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IversonMelo2K7
What better way exists to gauge who is better than examine their comparative play in the playoffs against the best team, and best defense in the NBA (spurs). Melo was outstanding in the Spurs series, not possessing quite the athleticism of Bron but fundamentals "the king" will never dream of, specifically a silky-smooth jumper, ever-expanding range, and far better handles.

Melo puts up 26 on almost 50 percent shootiong, Bron puts up what 17 on 35 percent? This is in the playoffs, against the same team. Its pretty clear that Melo is the superior player.

Just because Melo had a better series this year against the Spurs doesn't necessarily make him better than Lebron James. Yes, his team faced the best defensive team in the NBA (which is a broad reasoning for why he did good against them in teh first place), and he did well, but like others have said before, his primary matchup wasn't the team's best perimeter player, because he was worried about Iverson (and I would be, too, as a coach). Second reason being some players have good games against certain defenses and really bad games against others. It doesn't mean that their not as good, it just means that they can pick apart one team's defensive strategy better than another's. Not so much to do with how good the D is, just the flow of the defense, and defensive strengths and weakness and how they are counter-acted by the offense. Why did the Warriors beat the Mavs? Not because they're better, but because they knew how to counter their offensive and defensive stategies. MJ scored 63 points against Bird's Celtics in 86', but does that make him better than Bird? No, it just means that he knew how to pick apart the Celtic's great defense. It's ALL about matchups the playoffs. Nothing more, nothing less.
dawsey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #27
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

I can't believe you people are debating Melo vs Lebron, but you won't give a case in Wade vs Lebron. Lebron/Wade>Melo.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #28
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:

So in 04 when Melo averaged 15 on .328 shooting in the series vs Minny Bibbys 17 on 39 vs them in round 2 makes Bibby inarguably better that year right?

And his second season? When he put up 19 on 42% shooting vs the Spurs. Im guessing that if Rip Hamilton matched that vs the Spurs that would make Rip the equal of second season Melo?

How about last year? When Melo averaged 21 on 33% shooting in the Clipper series first round loss? I suppose the fact that Raja Bell, Shawn Marion, and perhaps even Barbosa and Diaw ALL played as well or better vs the Clippers means Melo is no better than any of them right?

Every one of them shot better and while Diaw and Barbosa didnt score as much both were in the 14-15 range and playing their roles better than Melo did. Bell even made the biggest shot of the Suns season that series to send a game to double OT. Marion averaged 28/15 on 50+ shooting. Bell 18 on 47.

This is how it works right? Compared numbers vs the same teams in entirely different situations with no consideration given to teammates, coaching, the other team playing better or worse vs one of the two, or any factors at all aside from stats vs the same team.

If they make Melo better than Lebron this year...why wouldnt they make Marion better than Melo last year? **** by this method Melo would have been about the 5th best Sun on last years team right?

In 1994 Rod Strickland put up 24 and 10 on 50% shooting vs the Rockets to Ewings 19 and 12 on 37. Rod>Pat in 94? In 81 Larry Bird put up 15 on 42% shooting in the finals vs a team Norm Nixon put up 19/10 on 51% shooting against. Norm Nixon was better than Bird in Birds first title season? In 99 KG got 22/12 on 44% vs the Spurs and Spree got 26/7 on 43. They were equals in 99? Too big a position difference? In 89 Terry Porter averaged 22/8/6 on 50% shooting vs the Lakers and Isiah Thomas got 21/7/3 on 48. 4th year Terry Porter>Isiah in his prime in his first title run? In 96 Scottie Pippen averaged 16 on 34% shooting vs the Sonics and Mitch Richmond did 21 on 44. Hornacek did over 20 on well over 50% shooting vs the Sonics. Making Mitch clearly the better player in Pippens prime. Same for Hornacek. All nba first team, all D first team, better full season play and 72 wins out the window.

What determines how good you are....are numbers over 4-5 games...vs the same team. Thats it.

07 Melo >07 Bron. 06 Marion>06 Melo. Damn near everyone to play the spurs in 04 >04 Melo. Norm Nixon > Bird in 81. Mitch Richmond and Jeff Hornacek > Pippen in his prime.

It really is just that simple huh? What the hell was wrong with me thinking more factors into how good two players are than a week of games played vs the same team?

Basketball comparisons should be done with a calculator and a 4-5 game sample vs the same team with all other factors wiped out.

I feel so foolish using old methods like common sense, watching basketball, and considering skills, impact, and the unique situations players find themselves in. I tell you...I learn something new every time I come here.

Last edited by Kblaze8855 : 06-17-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #29
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

Lebron's the better all around player. thats a fact.

the only advantage Melo has over him is that his midrange game/around the basket game destroys Lebron's.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #30
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

As per usual, Blaze just game over'ed this sht.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: