Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #16
magic#32
Can barely lace up my sneakers

magic#32 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Ever heard of the University of North Carolina?

Guy played with Vince, Jamison, etc.
Like I said I may be stupid. But I've heard of N.C. and Vince Carter and Antwan Jamison and Jerry Stackhouse and Michael Jordan and James Worthy and Sam Perkins etc.etc.etc. but never heard of this guy.
magic#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:07 PM   #17
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic#32
Like I said I may be stupid. But I've heard of N.C. and Vince Carter and Antwan Jamison and Jerry Stackhouse and Michael Jordan and James Worthy and Sam Perkins etc.etc.etc. but never heard of this guy.
Well, at least you're honest about yourself.

I guess I can't hate on that.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #18
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far

there are better options than a guy who, by age 31, never stuck on an NBA team. House woud be a great compliment for the triangle...and he would come cheap.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:27 PM   #19
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurple
there are better options than a guy who, by age 31, never stuck on an NBA team. House woud be a great compliment for the triangle...and he would come cheap.
Anthony Parker never stuck on an NBA roster either and he's about to become a multi millionaire...........

Charlie Bell never stuck on an NBA roster for a long time as well.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #20
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

that's right...and neither are going to be starters. We need a starter at the point...not Smush, not Sasha, not McKie, and certainly not Shammond. maybe Evans can start w Kobe. if we are going to use the exception, there are better options. i will be happily surprised if Shammond proves me wrong.
By the way, Anthony Parker is at least the best player in Europe and their league MVP. Shammond???
Old 07-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #21
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Angry Wheres the beef?

Shammond is no gem of a player, but surely hell be betta than Aaron "the non-key". Its not like the lakers are spending much on him. The reason that they are probably taking a gamble on him, is because Phil want some older players who if not much, at least has some basketball experience. What sucks the most, is the fact that since the lakers have not made any big splash moves, we are getting fiercely frustrated at the fact that the roster sucks big monkey testicles.

Appart from a handful of players.. we aint got much...
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #22
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

whether he is a starter worthy player or not he is the type phil likes because the guy can do 2 things phil likes,

Defend, and shoot. And with shammond learning the triangle, he will contribute to this team one way or another. but i dont think he should start
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #23
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Defend, and shoot. And with shammond learning the triangle, he will contribute to this team one way or another. but i dont think he should start[/quote]

Yup.. defence we need. And he most surely should not start.

ZeN
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #24
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

the primary reason that Shammond is not in the League is that he could not defend. the secondary reason is that he could not pass, which is particularly bad for a PG. I was hoping we would make a move for Brevin Knight, who is on the market.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #25
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Defend, and shoot. And with shammond learning the triangle, he will contribute to this team one way or another. but i dont think he should start

I sure hope you are right... to me, he is a scrub that they overpaid for...

But, perhaps he has improved and I will give him a chance.
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #26
24Kobe#1fan
Can barely lace up my sneakers

24Kobe#1fan has an OK reputation so far

William is a solid pickup and he will give us what eddie house gave phoenix instant offense off the bench, but he is a more complete player since leaving the nba and is a dangerous scorer in our rotation.

p.s. he is another shooter can't go wrong with shooters around 24/7. cook,vlad,vujaic,williams
24Kobe#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:20 AM   #27
traditionone
High school junior varsity star

traditionone has an OK reputation so far

I like this signing. He played really well in Europe. I posted his stats on another Shammond thread. He was a really good shooter and decision maker at UNC. He fits the triangle and he isn't an old, broken down vet approaching his 40's.

I'm worried about his turnovers more than anything.

What makes this signing intriguing is that we'll have Shammond for 2 years. Ideally, Farmar should be ready to start by then and carry much of the PG load. Where does that leave Sasha and Smush? We have 4 PG's right now. At some point before the start of the season, there has to be a trade. Mitch has to be working with Devean George on S&T possibilities.
traditionone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:40 AM   #28
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I was hoping we'd get a more experienced, proven vet, though their arnt many out there. I dont think williams will provide much of an impact...just another inexperienced pg that has to learn the triangle...what I do think we should have done was ship out 2-3 players and got Dfish. We got too many players on the roster anyways and DFish is a proven winner that doesnt have to learn the triangle. He could have provided an instant impact but there goes Lakers management for ya....
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:46 AM   #29
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's not like they will lose every game if theyre still learning the triangle.

They were winning last year while they were still learning it. It isnt that hard of an offense to learn but there is tricks to it thats all.

Smush parker the In experienced PG helped out alot and he was very new to the triangle.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #30
LakerFan1086
Serious playground baller

LakerFan1086 has not been impressing people
Default a mini-scouting report

From DraftExpress

Shammond Williams
6-1, PG/SG, Barcelona (USA), Age: 31

Another product of the prolific North Carolina factory of NBA players, Williams completed his four-year stint with the Tar Heels and rewarded with a second-round selection by the Atlanta Hawks in the 1998 draft. He averaged 16.7 points, 3.2 rebounds and 4.2 assists his senior year.

Williams established himself in the NBA over a six-year tenure (playing for six different teams), only interrupted by a brief experience in the Turkish league. His best campaign was the 2002/03 season, when he played 78 games and averaged 8 points and 3.4 assists.

Back in Europe in the 2004/05 season, he fell for the riches of the Russian league, signing with Unics Kazan. He oddly received a passport from the Republic of Georgia, which made him a very valuable in Europe and then moved to Winterthur F.C.Barcelona, one of the traditional European powerhouses, last summer. In the ACB League, he averaged 12.6 points, 2.6 rebounds and a whooping 5.2 assists in less than 30 minutes per game, although losing in the semifinals can’t be anything than a disappointment for this team. In the Euroleague he delivered similar stats with 12.5 points, 2.4 rebounds and 4.2 assists, helping his team reach the Final Four.

It’s also interesting to note that Williams acquired the Georgian citizenship because of his teammate in Orlando Magic Zaza Pachulia, so he could join (and help) the Georgian National Team. Despite his participation, Georgia couldn’t manage to qualify for the 2005 Eurobasket, despite seeing 20 points and 7.4 assists from Williams.

Strengths

A clear-cut American-style point guard, Williams is extremely hard to stop whenever he tries to step into the lane. Enjoying terrific handles, his excellent quickness and strength do the rest to allow him to get by most of his defenders. You can see there the heritage of his pretty big NBA experience in how bulked he is.

Despite not being a pure point, Williams is a very nice passer. Playing the pick and roll or dishing while penetrating, he shows decent court vision and some ability to find the open man.

More of a scorer than a passer, Williams gets his points either slashing or shooting the ball. His jumper is pretty reliable and shows nice range. He has consistently shot over 40% from behind the arc since coming to Europe. His jumper is not very easy to contest, because he delivers it with ease off the dribble, and is highly unpredictable.

Williams enjoys the physical attributes to be a nice defender (quickness, strength and enough size for a PG), and indeed he’s a decent one. Besides, he helps his teams by going after defensive rebounds.

Weaknesses

Like we see so often these days, particularly from New York City point guards, Shammond Williams is another scoring guard in the body of a point guard. This gets severely exposed in his decision making skills, which is very inconsistent. Despite having improved through the season in F.C.Barcelona, and beyond the impressive assist numbers he achieved this season in the ACB league, Williams never managed to settle down as a reliable playmaker, basically rushing things in the offense, taking ill-advised shots, and forgetting that he should be the man who has the game under control. All in all, he’s not a floor general, abusing of his off-the-dribble skills, and severely lacking a high basketball IQ.

There’s not much more to say about his flaws, although considering he’s a point guard, it’s a pretty big knock on his game. In the line with his playmaking style, he could certainly benefit from better shot selection, as well as an extra degree of intensity on defense.

At the age of 31 he’s already a veteran, but considering his NBA experience he don’t need any time to adapt, as he looks physically at full strength.

Why sign him?

Williams’ playmaking style probably fits better in the NBA than in Europe. He’s a proven player with some serious experience in the NBA, and it appears that his European tenure may have helped him to mature a little bit and become a better player. Physically, he can keep up against virtually any competition, and he will make his open shots and can pass the rock. Given the lack of point guards that the league suffers from, particularly on the free agent market, he can be a relatively valuable one in the market.

Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly close to sign him a deal. It’s a nice situation for him, and he might even have the chance to crack into the starting five, given how the Lakers have struggled at that position the last season. Playing in Phil Jackson and Tex Winters’ triangle offense, his lack of pure playmaking skills becomes less of an issue.

This is a little report to help you guys see what this guys got. I'd like to see what he could do for us, I think he could help. To me he sounds like a poor man's Mike James.
Also, i saw a picture of this guy and he looks REAL STRONG.

Last edited by LakerFan1086 : 07-11-2006 at 12:14 PM.
LakerFan1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: