Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Default Trying to help a friend.........

My friend is 27 with a degree in Audio-Visual production and bags groceries for a living fulltime.

I understand that his field is a hard one to find a job in, but I'm frustrated with him b/c he's not even trying. He is too afraid to take a chance to better himself. He has absolutely no debt and no reason not to consider something such as going back to school.

He is one of those people who is completely stuck in his routine. He makes up tons of excuses (ex. "Don't want to have to drive far to get to my job b/c of gas")

Does anyone else have a friend like this? I can't get through to him. He HATES his job, isn't using his degree, and is stuck in complete mediocrity. He is too afraid to change things up, though. He is so used to complaining about things, but doesn't actually do anything.

mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Default Re: Trying to help a friend.........

What does your friend want his career to be.

Since he has a degree in audio-visual, is he more into working in the music business or videogame world?
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
What does your friend want his career to be.

Since he has a degree in audio-visual, is he more into working in the music business or videogame world?

Not entirely sure, but I think he's more interested in doing camera/production work. I don't know anything about that field or what one can do with such a degree.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Its his life, screw him, lol He did all that work and isn't using it what an idiot.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Its his life, screw him, lol He did all that work and isn't using it what an idiot.

He doesn't want to quit the fulltime job b/c he needs to pay his bills. I get that. However, when I suggested going to school PART TIME to get another degree, he looked at me like I was speaking chinese. He said he doesn't want to wear himself out like that

Maybe you're right.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

I have a friend who is similar but different from your friend. We are the same age, 21, but he has yet to accomplish much since high school. I am moving from Boulder to Denver in August because I transferred schools and he wants to move in with me. I would have no problem with this but he has hardly any motivation, while I on the other hand know exactly what I want to accomplish over the next few years.

He has been at the same community college for 3 years now but still does not have an Associate's and now plans to transfer to another CC but in Denver. I cannot understand how/why he did not apply to a 4 year school. Metro State in downtown Denver automatically accepts any in state resident with at least a 17 (I think) ACT score, which he easily has.

It is almost July and he has yet to apply and/or be accepted anywhere for the fall semester but continues to say, "I really should apply to Metro before it's too late." Guess what? If you keep saying and not doing, it will be too late. I wish he would just get on it and get the next phase of his life started.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: