Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
PerfectCell
Tetsuo & Youth

PerfectCell is popular on this boardPerfectCell is popular on this boardPerfectCell is popular on this boardPerfectCell is popular on this boardPerfectCell is popular on this board
Default Does anyone else get scared by the 'forever' aspect of death?

I know a lot of people who don't believe in an afterlife/reincarnation but are still unfazed by death as it essentially returns them to the same state they were in for the billions of years before they were born.

However, whether you live for 2 years, 20 years, 80 years, or even 500 billion years it will still be a infinitely smaller time than death which lasts forever. Like if death lasted 100 trillion years that would still be comforting but never feeling anything anymore until the end of time(which might not have an end) scares the living shit out of me.

My current best comforting thought is believing that God and the afterlife are uncomprehendable by even the most advanced human minds which is why no religion can really explain them. Like God and the afterlife are 4-dimensional and understanding them would be like trying to see a new color. My best analogy is if we lived in a 2d sidescrolling world such as on a piece of paper and God is the artist drawing us. 2d creatures can't possibly comprehend the 3rd dimension.

Last edited by PerfectCell : 06-23-2014 at 05:11 PM.
PerfectCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Akrazotile
Cavs fan since forever

Akrazotile is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Does anyone else get scared by the 'forever' aspect of death?

I literally shit my pants thrice a day thinking about it.

Literally.
Akrazotile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
BasedTom
Wealth Beyond Measure

BasedTom is a pretty well-respected posterBasedTom is a pretty well-respected posterBasedTom is a pretty well-respected poster

There's no use getting worried about a forever you won't be aware of.

But I respect your beliefs
BasedTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
russwest0
Forever Young

russwest0 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardrusswest0 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardrusswest0 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardrusswest0 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardrusswest0 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardrusswest0 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

You were dead for "forever" until you woke up and were born.

I don't see the big deal. When you're dead you wont have to worry about it anyways.
russwest0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

We can go back to cruising in the Astral plane..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
Akrazotile
Cavs fan since forever

Akrazotile is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Matter can be neither created nor destroyed so our composition will continue on eternally. It may be the end of the line for our consciousness, then again it may not. But technically we do stick around in one form or another. We are immortal
Akrazotile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
russwest0
Forever Young

russwest0 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardrusswest0 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardrusswest0 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardrusswest0 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardrusswest0 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardrusswest0 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrazotile
Matter can be neither created nor destroyed so our composition will continue on eternally. It may be the end of the line for our consciousness, then again it may not. But technically we do stick around in one form or another. We are immortal

This.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
BasedTom
Wealth Beyond Measure

BasedTom is a pretty well-respected posterBasedTom is a pretty well-respected posterBasedTom is a pretty well-respected poster

Everything is temporary, really. Eventually the sun too, which has stood as a constant throughout all of the years that sentient life has existed on Earth, will die like anything else. And it is just 1 of an immeasurable amount of stars in the universe.
BasedTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
Dresta
BANNED!!!!

Dresta has an OK reputation so far

Death doesn't last forever; it doesn't 'last' at all. It is just an absence. It's like saying 'that pile of nothing over there is gonna last forever'
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
russwest0
Forever Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasedTom
Everything is temporary, really. Eventually the sun too, which has stood as a constant throughout all of the years that sentient life has existed on Earth, will die like anything else. And it is just 1 of an immeasurable amount of stars in the universe.

Yup. Not only you will die too, but everyone you know will someday as well.

As a lifecoach it's something I advise all of my clients to sit down and think about at one point or another during their lives.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #11
ArbitraryWater
Not a Thundercat

ArbitraryWater is popular on this boardArbitraryWater is popular on this boardArbitraryWater is popular on this boardArbitraryWater is popular on this boardArbitraryWater is popular on this board

Well me believing in reincarnation, nah... what gets me shit scared is the thought of this world/life never ending... its a never ending cycle.

You life, die.... live your next life in another body/situation to continue learning and improving as person, die..... life your next life in another body with different circumstances again (probably) to continue improve as person, die.... etc.

that thought, of it NEVER ending, i mean, put your mind to it... this circle will never end. You will always go back to earth, until the moment you reach perfection.. and god (literally) knows how long that takes...

just my beliefs
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
outbreak
Custom User Title

outbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation here

The fact that your dead and your dead forever means you have nothing to be scared about? Why be worried when you won't experience anything and you can't control it. You won't be laying there going "shit I wish I was alive" you simply won't exist.

I'm more scared of people I care about passing away than I am of myself.

I worry more about how people I care about would have to deal with me being dead than how I would deal with being dead myself.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
outbreak
Custom User Title

outbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwest0
Yup. Not only you will die too, but everyone you know will someday as well.

As a lifecoach it's something I advise all of my clients to sit down and think about at one point or another during their lives.

your a life coach? I thought you were like 11 years old with the retarded shit you say here. Maybe you need to see a life coach?
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

existing > not existing for me...not going to try to rationalize it another way, the whole "awesome! I won't care because I won't exist!" angle doesn't work for me, I WANT to exist and "care" about things.

I am a theist though, so I believe that I am "infinite" and always have been...although I also believe that "time" is only of this universe and the whole concept of "forever" is different outside of here. I believe that in the after life there is no "past" or "present" or "future", every minute, day, year, etc is all going on simultaneously. A billion years is no different than a millisecond, etc. When you die, everyone you know will already be there.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
jongib369
National High School Star

jongib369 has a terrific reputationjongib369 has a terrific reputationjongib369 has a terrific reputationjongib369 has a terrific reputationjongib369 has a terrific reputation

Some days it scares the shit out of me, like the fact that death can happen at any moment not allowing you to do all you want in life...A lot of people like to go about it thinking they're going to make it to 70+ and have all the time in the world... Other days it inspires me to do all I can and be as nice as I can to everyone I meet. As I've gotten older and noticed time seeming as if it's passing faster really gets me....Feel as if I'm on a railroad track in the dark speeding up knowing the cliff is coming but not knowing when I'll fall.....So I just take a deep breath, think of the ones I love and cry masterrbate
jongib369 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: