Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 12-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
BBallGuru08
I brick open layups

BBallGuru08 has an OK reputation so far
Default Recent Busts, Steals, and Draft Blunders

Lottery Pick Busts:

Adam Morrison - He has that Mike Dunleavy Jr intrigue to him. Both were highly touted out of college. Both were #3 overall picks. Both were compared to the great Larry Bird. Dunleavy is finally having limited success in Indiana, but he has a big edge over Morrison. MDJ is a better athlete than he is given credit for. Morrison couldn't jump over a nickel and couldn't defend this chair I'm sitting in. He's also a huge health risk and will spend the majority of his career on the IR.

Shelden Williams - Sometimes, being a great college player doesn't translate to the NBA level and Williams is proof of that. He's an undersized C that lacks offensive skills. He's too slow to play the SF spot and not skilled enough for the PF. Will be an Adonal Foyle type player.

Joakim Noah - A player that benefited from playing with two draftees that were picked before him (Horford and Brewer). A bright player with good physical attributes, but nothing jumps out at you about him. Will be nothing more than a role player during his career. A more polished Kwame Brown.

Acie Law - A score first PG that will have a tough time being a good point guard in the league. Atlanta is still looking for a reliable point. A Luther Head type player. May turn out to be a solid role player, but not worthy of a lottery pick.

Patrick O'Bryant - Its hard to tell with this guy. It could be a product of his coach not trusting him. When in the game, I've seen a lot that I liked. With Biedrins probably signing a long term extension and the implementing of small ball in GS, O'Bryant will get permanent bench splinters whether its warranted or not. Ronnie Brewer, Cedric Simmons, or Rajon Rondo would of been a better pick.

Late Draft Steals:

Louis Williams (2005, 45th Pick) - This kid is going to be a great player in the league. May not be an All Star type player, but will get recognition soon. When Miller is out of Philly, Williams will step in and play very well. Could be a 17 point, 8 assist guy. Still only 21 years old.

Monta Ellis (2005, 40th Pick) - I'm not a huge fan of Monta and I'm a GSW fan, but its hard to ignore his skillset and what he offers as a second round pick. Ultra quick and a solid one-on-one defender. Must improve his point guard play. As long as Baron is in GS, then Monta will be a SG. I'd like to see him goto a team where he can be a bigger part of the future.

David Lee (2005, 30th Pick) - Why did the Knicks traded for a huge contract in Randolph is a mystery. David Lee is a double double guy that works hard. Randolph is a overrated player that complains. I guess he fits right in with Marbury in NY. Isaiah is bascially making Lee untouchable which makes less sense.

Draft Blunders:

Orlando - Fran Vasquez (11th Pick, 2005) - What a waste of a pick! Imagine if the nabbed a guy like Gerald Green, David Lee, or Danny Granger.

Atlanta - Marvin Williams (2nd Pick, 2005) - Nothing against Williams but Atlanta's biggest need has always been the point guard spot. What do they do instead? Draft a guy who virtually plays the same position as Josh Smith and Childress. There were two guys that were drafted right after Marvin that could of really helped this team...Deron Williams and Chris Paul. How good would this team be with Deron Williams, Johnson, Smith, and Horford? Utah probably would of taken Chris Paul and New Orleans take Marvin Williams which of worked out great for all 3 teams.
BBallGuru08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Nygher
Banned

Nygher has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Recent Busts, Steals, and Draft Blunders

I disagree with putting Law and Noah in this. They haven't even played 30 games in their career
Nygher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
nashforprez
Local High School Star

nashforprez has an OK reputation so far

Lebron James will forever be the biggest bust of all time. Not for the Cavs, but for James
nashforprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallGuru08
Lottery Pick Busts:

Adam Morrison - He has that Mike Dunleavy Jr intrigue to him. Both were highly touted out of college. Both were #3 overall picks. Both were compared to the great Larry Bird. Dunleavy is finally having limited success in Indiana, but he has a big edge over Morrison. MDJ is a better athlete than he is given credit for. Morrison couldn't jump over a nickel and couldn't defend this chair I'm sitting in. He's also a huge health risk and will spend the majority of his career on the IR.

Shelden Williams - Sometimes, being a great college player doesn't translate to the NBA level and Williams is proof of that. He's an undersized C that lacks offensive skills. He's too slow to play the SF spot and not skilled enough for the PF. Will be an Adonal Foyle type player.

Patrick O'Bryant - Its hard to tell with this guy. It could be a product of his coach not trusting him. When in the game, I've seen a lot that I liked. With Biedrins probably signing a long term extension and the implementing of small ball in GS, O'Bryant will get permanent bench splinters whether its warranted or not. Ronnie Brewer, Cedric Simmons, or Rajon Rondo would of been a better pick.

Late Draft Steals:

Louis Williams (2005, 45th Pick) - This kid is going to be a great player in the league. May not be an All Star type player, but will get recognition soon. When Miller is out of Philly, Williams will step in and play very well. Could be a 17 point, 8 assist guy. Still only 21 years old.

Monta Ellis (2005, 40th Pick) - I'm not a huge fan of Monta and I'm a GSW fan, but its hard to ignore his skillset and what he offers as a second round pick. Ultra quick and a solid one-on-one defender. Must improve his point guard play. As long as Baron is in GS, then Monta will be a SG. I'd like to see him goto a team where he can be a bigger part of the future.

David Lee (2005, 30th Pick) - Why did the Knicks traded for a huge contract in Randolph is a mystery. David Lee is a double double guy that works hard. Randolph is a overrated player that complains. I guess he fits right in with Marbury in NY. Isaiah is bascially making Lee untouchable which makes less sense.

Draft Blunders:

Orlando - Fran Vasquez (11th Pick, 2005) - What a waste of a pick! Imagine if the nabbed a guy like Gerald Green, David Lee, or Danny Granger.

Atlanta - Marvin Williams (2nd Pick, 2005) - Nothing against Williams but Atlanta's biggest need has always been the point guard spot. What do they do instead? Draft a guy who virtually plays the same position as Josh Smith and Childress. There were two guys that were drafted right after Marvin that could of really helped this team...Deron Williams and Chris Paul. How good would this team be with Deron Williams, Johnson, Smith, and Horford? Utah probably would of taken Chris Paul and New Orleans take Marvin Williams which of worked out great for all 3 teams.

U are right for all of this except Noah and Law...
Adam Morrison = BUST
Shelden Williams - too undersized and slow (he's like 6'8''?)
Patrick O'Brayant - I dont' know...

U are right for Elis and Lee, I dont's really know if Louis Williams is a steal?

What really is a blunder?
Fran Vasquez is a good player but not close to Green, Lee, Granger and Elis! He's a late 1st round or early 2nd round player.
All 3 team would benefit from picking right player/Atlanta-Deron/Utah-Chris Paul/New Orleans-Marvin.
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
FOYE4MVP
minnesota timberwolves

FOYE4MVP has an OK reputation so far

i think acie law is a good pick-up for the hawks. he provides playmaking and he can score anywhere.
FOYE4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i totally agree w/ the o'bryant pick. i watched one game of bradley vs. indiana state and he didn't even start. he came off the bench in a couple of little spurts and didn't dominate in the least. they went on to have a great season after that though, and i think that's what they drafted him by. bad pick IMO, shame on GS management.

i think the MIA/PHI draft trade of jason smith for daequan cook was a steal for the heat.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOYE4MVP
i think acie law is a good pick-up for the hawks. he provides playmaking and he can score anywhere.

I would've rather had them get Conley, but that'd be a reach at #3, and I'm perfectly content with Horford.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
j Fresh3
Banned

j Fresh3 has an OK reputation so far

: the last few #1s all busts and all big men...

Bogut
Bargnani
Oden

:
j Fresh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year

ukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by j Fresh3

Bogut
Bargnani
Oden

:

I just laugh at the fact you put Oden in this.

Enough said...
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation

You're right about Louis. Himself and Willie are the two players I like from Philly.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:06 AM   #11
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

No one from the last 3 years should be classified as a bust yet unless they are already out of the league.. Seriously I don't care if they suck right now... All of them have showed potential to be decent players in the future. Way too early to talk about these guys being busts
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #12
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by j Fresh3

Bogut
Bargnani
Oden

:

I wouldn't call any of them busts yet
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: