Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 07-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #61
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
[IMG]
"I mean, itís really not that serious. Itís not life or death. It really is a game. And fun is part of the game. Entertainment is part of the game.Ē

(I'm sure MJ thought Rodman's punch to the balls and IT's decapitation was "not that serious")
Your picture is from a playoff game not a summer league game. Different circumstances.

On top of that you act as though there are not dozens of highlights in which Isiah put on dribbling displays in games.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #62
God of BasketBall
Banned

@the photo of Nate jumping over dudes back. What was he thinkin dunk contest there? Geeze. Funny topic there ZaZa
God of BasketBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #63
BeckDiggLer
Decent playground baller

Quote:

"I mean, itís really not that serious. Itís not life or death. It really is a game. And fun is part of the game. Entertainment is part of the game.Ē

(I'm sure MJ thought Rodman's punch to the balls and IT's decapitation was "not that serious")

Look at Vinnie he can't believe how his boyz are f..ckin MJ up, he is horrified.
BeckDiggLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:42 AM   #64
God of BasketBall
Banned

Hardly horrified Vinny wants leftovers...waiting for a head or a few fingers to fly out so he can do what Beatle's do and eat it up.

Beatle Juice Beatle Juice Beatle Juice!
God of BasketBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #65
Return of GOBB
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Hardly horrified Vinny wants leftovers...waiting for a head or a few fingers to fly out so he can do what Beatle's do and eat it up.

Beatle Juice Beatle Juice Beatle Juice!
Return of GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #66
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Your picture is from a playoff game not a summer league game. Different circumstances.

I'm glad you are such a staunch defender, but this is not about playoffs, regular season, pre-season or summer league...this is a message IT is sending to the team, for all games. The message is:

Go out there and have fun. Its no big deal, its just a game, play how you want to play.

That may work on some players who are super tight and need some calming to perform - Channing probably feels pressure and we know Steve is sensitive, a little "Hey, just go out and do your thing" probably helps them..

...but Nate badly needs direction. Watch him play regular season, summer league, whatever - telling him to go out and do his thing, just entertain, is begging for trouble.

Quote:
On top of that you act as though there are not dozens of highlights in which Isiah put on dribbling displays in games.

Every player at some point in the season, goes off and just does their own thing. There are 5-10 games every season for every team (including the Spurs) where the whole team just sort of does their own thing and hopes for a win. Its just NBA basketball - 82 games, long road trips, sometimes you just gotta let the guys play.

For nate, doing his own thing ios the norm, and now its the accepted expectation.

Last edited by Joey Zaza : 07-12-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Joey Zaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #67
Da KO King

Quote:
...but Nate badly needs direction. Watch him play regular season, summer league, whatever - telling him to go out and do his thing, just entertain, is begging for trouble.
I'm not replying to be a "defender" of the Knicks. I replied because you are posting pics with no type of context to them and making them seem as though Nate Robinson is a reckless nut case and Isiah Thomas just saying anything.

You seem to only focus on the "have fun" talk but continue to miss both Thomas and Robinson saying its not a problem if its done at a time that its not going to hurt the team. Just cause Thomas vows now to smother Robinson's creativity does not mean he's just going to let Nate do whatever when ever.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #68
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:

Wham! on the nails head goes the hammer.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #69
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

Quote:
You seem to only focus on the "have fun" talk but continue to miss both Thomas and Robinson saying its not a problem if its done at a time that its not going to hurt the team. Just cause Thomas vows now to smother Robinson's creativity does not mean he's just going to let Nate do whatever when ever.

I am posting what I see and reacting to what I read. What I am reading is Isiah saying that its entertainment andthe guys need to go out and have fun. This whole "well he'd never do that in a game" seems an afterthought the underlying theme of IT's coaching..."Go out, have fun, play the game"..and we know he would do it in a game. Maybe not a bounce pass dunk, but reckless show boating play -- yeah he'll do it in a game whenever he feels like doing it. His reckless play caused Frye's injury last year.

If IT has made other statements about defense or execution or playing as a team or within a team concept or rebounding or being aggressive or attacking the basket or sharing the ball, I'd love to see them. All I've seen is lets have fun...which is fine, but don't accuse me of only pointing out the "fun" talk when there only is "fun" talk to point out.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #70
Da KO King

Quote:
"If any of us were his size and could do the stuff that he does, hell, you want to try it," said Thomas, whose Knicks faced Ron Artest's Kings in a summer-league game late last night at UNLV. "What's the sense of having it if you can't use it? Now, we don't want him to use it and it costs us a game, but . . . "

That's an interesting "but." The energetic Robinson has free rein under Thomas, but is that necessarily a good thing? Thomas believes showboat plays enhance the Knicks product.

"People pay a lot of money to see us play," Thomas said. "Part of our job, whether we like it or not, is to be entertaining. You don't make the kind of salaries these guys make if you can't put on a show. Part of basketball is show business. We're on TV. They want to see a good show, but they also want to see good basketball."
How do you read this and get that Isiah is putting entertainment over winning?
Old 07-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #71
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:
They want to see a good show, but they also want to see good basketball."

Wasting their time with the Knicks then arent they.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #72
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

Quote:
How do you read this and get that Isiah is putting entertainment over winning?

Lets just look at Isiah's quotes, take the newspaper commentary out:

"If any of us were his size and could do the stuff that he does, hell, you want to try it. What's the sense of having it if you can't use it? Now, we don't want him to use it and it costs us a game, but . . . "

So what's he saying? A guy who can do what Nate can do, should do it...and these things we're talking about low-percentage, but potentially visually exciting plays...but he shouldn't use it if it going to cost us a game.

Does anyone ever do anything that they think will cost the team the game? Obviously, when Nate does his thing, he thinks it will be successful and enhance the game...but his riskY plays are seldom successful, which is what makes them risky. The next time he makes a big tunrover with a flashy pass, the excuse would be "I thought it would work, I didn't intend to cost the team the game." Under my reading of IT's philosophy, that's acceptable.

"People pay a lot of money to see us play. Part of our job, whether we like it or not, is to be entertaining. You don't make the kind of salaries these guys make if you can't put on a show. Part of basketball is show business. We're on TV. They want to see a good show, but they also want to see good basketball."

This reads exactly like, put on a good show and also play good basketball. Its not, if we play good basketball, we'll win and people will watch. Its put on a good show and also play good basketball.

First time out I was just playing around with silly summer-league articles...but now as I read them these quotes are pissing me off.

The "play good basketball" is secondary. F-ing secondary. But, as long as you're there putting on a show, play good basketball.

PLAY GOOD BASKETBALL IS FIRST, SECOND, THIRD, AND LAST. THAT'S COACHING.

Put on a good show, but of course try not to lose the game. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? That's like what they told Rocky in Rocky I. Just put on a good show out there.

HOW ABOUT PLAY GOOD BASKETBALL. SIMPLE, DIRECT, PLAY GOOD BASKETBALL.

These are your quotes to defeat my point Da KO. You're losing it. They are all about putting on a show, do what YOU can do...not do what the team needs.

AWFUL. I was having fun....now I cannot even enjoy these articles anymore. Too angry.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:30 PM   #73
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
First time out I was just playing around with silly summer-league articles...but now as I read them these quotes are pissing me off.

its because you are smart enough to figure out that this approach wont be effective enough to help the players get better.

The sixers went thru this last year...everything was Jim Obrien's fault..he was crazy, he didnt have any people skills, he was mean, didnt talk to the players, blah, blah, blah....

Iverson was the main one talking about kissin cheeks in the mouth and all this other foolishness....What did it amount to? more losses..

Wanna know why? It is because 'player's coaches' get walked on by the player unless there are the proper amount of veterans on team to maintain some discipline...

Zeke will get walked on by these guys...I dont think it happens on purpose, but Ive seen it before...Guys get the coach they wanted and then dont bust their asses for the coach. Coach loses and gets fired for trusting his players to play like professionals.....Unless the team already has a culture of professionalism/discipline, the coach should be a task master and drill discipline into their heads daily...

Coach tells them that they'll have plenty of fun as a byproduct of the all wins they'll get by playing sound ball

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 07-12-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #74
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

Isiah Thomas had lunch with some beat writers yesterday and talked mostly about building personal relationships with his players and trying to rebuild Stephon Marbury's confidence.
"I just want him to enjoy playing," Thomas said of Marbury. "I know from being his size, trying to do the things we're going to ask them to do, they have to feel good about themselves. I want Steph to be a confident player, feel good about coming to the arena. If you're not playing in the right system, the right atmosphere, it's not going to work for you."

----------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #75
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

LaS VEGAS, July 8 — Stephon Marbury is happy. Very, very happy. Over-the-top, up-with-people, puppies-and-butterflies kind of happy.

Zaza note - I have a bad feeling about this writer

"They couldn't surgically take the smile off my face," Marbury chirped late Saturday night.

This striking new look is not the result of a face-lift, but of a coaching transplant.

Zaza note - Dude, you have a guy like Marbury who says stupid things all day long. Just run your tape-recorded and print the quotes

Larry Brown, Marbury's greatest tormentor, is gone. Isiah Thomas, Marbury's greatest advocate, is now coaching the Knicks.

Little wonder, then, that the smile never drooped one centimeter for the 15 minutes that Marbury spoke with New York reporters attending a Knicks summer-league game at Cox Pavilion.

Marbury came to show his support for his young teammates and for Thomas. It would be reasonable to assume that he was beaming so brightly — gloating, even — over Brown's dismissal. Zaza note - where is the eye roll emoticon? But Marbury insisted that his glee had little to do with Brown and everything to do with Thomas.

"I'm talking about Isiah being the coach," said Marbury, who has been close to Thomas, who also is the team president, since Thomas acquired him from Phoenix in January 2004. "I wanted him to be the coach before all of this. I used to beg him, 'Why don't you coach? Why don't you coach?' Because I know that he knows how to coach. I've seen him coach."

Thomas had coached the Indiana Pacers for three years before assuming control of the Knicks. But Marbury said Thomas's response was always the same: "I can't help you down there."

That changed last month when James L. Dolan, the Madison Square Garden chairman, fired Brown and ordered Thomas to coach the team. Now Thomas is operating on a one-year ultimatum, with his employment at stake.

Now it is Marbury, Steve Francis and Eddy Curry who will determine how long Thomas remains with the Knicks.

"I've got one thing to say to that: We make love to pressure," Marbury said.

Zaza note - Thank you Steph. You are a treasure.

That curious bit of imagery was accompanied by several equally creative ways of avoiding any direct shots at Brown. The two feuded so ferociously last season that a divorce seemed inevitable.

Zaza note - Just write your dumb article, we can live without the analogies

Indeed, during the final weeks of the Knicks' 23-59 season, Marbury sounded oddly upbeat, as if he were sure that Brown would be fired two months before it actually happened.

Marbury said Knicks players were not so much welcoming the coaching change as "welcoming wins."

Zaza note - Brown always coached them to shun wins

"I think everything was under strain at the end of the year," he said. "This year, we'll have a different togetherness."

Thomas has said he will use a consistent 9- or 10-man rotation Zaza note - consistently varying between 9 and 10?.

Marbury also looks forward to starting alongside Francis in what he called "a devastating backcourt" — if the two guards can strike a balance in controlling the offense.

Although Thomas has played down their close relationship, Marbury called Thomas a "father figure" and said their bond would help communication on the court.

"With Isiah, being that I understand what he likes and what he wants and what he doesn't want you to do on a basketball court, it's a lot easier for me," Marbury said. He also said he trusted that Thomas, unlike Brown, would keep his critiques private. In declining to talk much about Brown, Marbury seemed to be doing the same.

"This is the last conversation about this," he said. "And after this, there's no more about last year, because last year is history."

For now, at least, so is Marbury's infamous sour expression.

"People ask me, 'Why don't you ever smile?' I say, 'Because I never was happy,' " Marbury said. "When you're losing, it's not fun. When you win, you all see me, right? I'm screaming, I've got the ball in my hand, they're showing me on the back page smiling."

Zaza note - if he wins, he's happy and if he's happy, they win. Its the chicken and egg all over again.

-----------------
So his father figure is making it easier for him to make love to Pressure. Then he welcomes the "win" and is smiling.

After I welcome the win, I usually fall asleep. <ba da bum>

Just hope Pressure doesn't get preganant, because then you'll have baby agita to deal with. <Ba da bum>

Last edited by Joey Zaza : 07-13-2006 at 01:44 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: