Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 12:58 AM   #151
LakerRaider
Great college starter
 
LakerRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,171
LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Point isnt changed. I skipped over the one quote and attacked another I felt was more worthy of a reply. Like I told LakerRaider you wont swallow your pride in a title game with the game on the line. Fair enough. Agree to disagree. This is probably a geographical thing. This country is senstive to racial issues whereas overseas Terrorism is a sensitive issue? Just an assumption. I dont agree with how Zidane reacted, to me he overreacted.

And we honestly dont know what was actually said. It seems every 2hrs an insult is added. Yet Zidane has not spoken out and the Italian admits (i think) to saying something to Zidane but what is being floated around not being what was said. IE he too isnt saying. So whats the point of going in too deep, throwing jabs, insults when we both dont have the truth on the table.




Hardly a TKO. I initially was going to pull a Zidane and overreact by saying something ignorant back. But I didnt. Played it cool, kept it civil. Take notes kid. Dont come in here instigating petty arguments and debates.


Geographical thing??? I could be your next door neighbor for all you know, what does geography have to do with anything??? Terrorism is a sensitive issue everywhere. If a person of Middle Eastern descent or of the Muslim faith is called a terrorist, he's going to be mad. It's a racial word. You don't see a big deal about it, because you're probably not of Middle Eastern descent or follow the Muslim faith. What you don't understand is that just like discriminating against African-Americans just for the sole color of their skin is a racial issue, so is discriminating against people of Middle Eastern descent and Muslim faith for where they came from and they believe in. Why's that so hard for you to believe??? You claim you live in Philadelphia. There's alot of Arabs and Muslims there, talk to one of them, drive up to New Jersey, go down Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn, New York and ask one of them.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:08 AM   #152
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 50,726
GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default

You're not even from ny, nj, pa. What would you know?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:10 AM   #153
NoBULL
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
NoBULL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6
NoBULL has an OK reputation so far
Default

I really doubt anything racist that was said outta that dirty Italian's mouth provoked Zidane. Being Muslim and all he probably has to put up with that sh!t all the time. You have to remember though that Zidane's mom was really really ill days before the game and Zidane is really close with his mom. I wouldn't be suprised that Zidane just lost it when he heard his mom being brought up. Take this with a grain of salt, but supposedly a lip reader figured out that Materazzi (sp?) said "We all know you are the son of a terrorist whore." link
I doubt Materazzi knew that Zidane's mom was ill because if you see the videos on youtube you can tell that Materazzi wasn't really expecting it. Regardless, Materazzi is known to be a dirty player and I for one am glad Zidane headbutted that piece of euro trash in the sternum.
NoBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:11 AM   #154
LakerRaider
Great college starter
 
LakerRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,171
LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I'm biracial...black and white. Not black. You're welcome. So before you create scenerios and tell me how i would react, get my background straight.

Your examples were weak. I cleared them up and made them better. A pickup game, a regular season game doesnt have the same significance as a title game. Fact not fiction you idiot. To cry you were talkin bout me and not Wade is irrelevant. You made a general situation as if it was the same as a Game 7 of the NBA finals with 2mins left. Zidane was in a game that was in the 2nd OT. World Cup only comes every 4yrs, he was retiring. He was retiring before this world cup but helped the French qualify. Yet he acts out in a critical moment and thus the end of his career. PK is up and the best PK'er is m.i.a because he couldnt swallow your pride. Hilarious.


You didn't even know most of this information until the World Cup started and you started betting money asking all the posters here who you should bet your money on.

Ok, you're black and white??? So that's why you wouldn't get mad if a person called you the "N" word, because he's only insulting one half of your ethnicity, and not all of you, so you won't do anything because you'll get half mad right??? Right.

I guarantee you if Dwyane Wade and or any black basketball player was called the "N" word by a white player, he would react by punching the racist player out. He wouldn't be like, "hold up, don't you know who I am??? I was voted People's Magazine Most Beautiful Men, you can't talk like that to me, look at my pouty lips." No, he'll punch that racist guy.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:17 AM   #155
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 50,726
GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerRaider
You didn't even know most of this information until the World Cup started and you started betting money asking all the posters here who you should bet your money on.

Ok, you're black and white??? So that's why you wouldn't get mad if a person called you the "N" word, because he's only insulting one half of your ethnicity, and not all of you, so you won't do anything because you'll get half mad right??? Right.

I guarantee you if Dwyane Wade and or any black basketball player was called the "N" word by a white player, he would react by punching the racist player out. He wouldn't be like, "hold up, don't you know who I am??? I was voted People's Magazine Most Beautiful Men, you can't talk like that to me, look at my pouty lips." No, he'll punch that racist guy.


How do you know how people react? Its amazes how your dumbass sits online drinkin juice boxes taking swiogs aftger each paragraph thinkin you have it all figured out. If someone breaks wind and doesnt say excuse me...what will i do? Or does it depend what race the person is? Ok they are white. So what will i do? React by cursing them out? What since you know how each and every human being will react. Ever heard of the phrase "speak for yourself"? That applies dumbass.

Where is your proof something racist was said? He said She said. Keep jumping the gun, you've been shot a few times already. Change your name to 2pac. 50 cent even.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:19 AM   #156
LakerRaider
Great college starter
 
LakerRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,171
LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
You're not even from ny, nj, pa. What would you know?


What kind of response is this??? How would you know if I'm from or not from or ever been to any of these cities. Man, go to one of the grocery stores owned by people of Middle Eastern descent in North Philadelphia, and try to initiate a conversation with one of them. You might learn more than what you're learning here because your pride online is keeping you from getting educated.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:25 AM   #157
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 50,726
GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerRaider
What kind of response is this??? How would you know if I'm from or not from or ever been to any of these cities. Man, go to one of the grocery stores owned by people of Middle Eastern descent in North Philadelphia, and try to initiate a conversation with one of them. You might learn more than what you're learning here because your pride online is keeping you from getting educated.

Arabs are of the minority here. There are far fewer of them then asians and blacks. You think a black person calling them a terrorist in thier store will do what? Everyone has racial slurs. To act like being called a terrorist today is the ultimate slur is ridiculous. Cop gonna follow a person with a turban or a black male? Black male. So save me the cries. You must be of arab descent to be catching feelings. Gotta be it. Let me check your shoes for a bomb biitch.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:31 AM   #158
Kobe24
Banned
 
Kobe24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of 14 NBA Championships
Posts: 6,188
Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool
Default

I'm reporting your post Gobb,it was so wrong at so many levels.
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:35 AM   #159
LakerRaider
Great college starter
 
LakerRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,171
LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Arabs are of the minority here. There are far fewer of them then asians and blacks. You think a black person calling them a terrorist in thier store will do what? Everyone has racial slurs. To act like being called a terrorist today is the ultimate slur is ridiculous. Cop gonna follow a person with a turban or a black male? Black male. So save me the cries. You must be of arab descent to be catching feelings. Gotta be it. Let me check your shoes for a bomb biitch.


That's why Arabs are called a minority, because there are so few of them. Believe it or not, racism happens to people of Middle Eastern descent all the time and don't be surprised if you see or hear about Middle Eastern people being pulled over.

The reason why the word "terrorist" is no big deal is because it doesn't apply to you, so you don't see the big deal in it.

I'm not catching feelings. I don't catch feelings over the internet. I'm just trying to make you understand man.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:06 AM   #160
LakerRaider
Great college starter
 
LakerRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,171
LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far
Default

http://www.thepeoplesvoice.org/cgi-b...06/07/12/p9332


How Zidane's Headbutt and World Cup Soccer Played in America


By: Joe American


By now, virtually everyone in the world has seen the dramatic replay of the great French midfielder, Zinedine Zidane, headbutting Italian defender Marci Materazzi in the chest, and knocking him to the ground during the World Cup Final Game last Sunday.

On Monday evening, this headbutt incident was shown on almost every American network news channel. The talking heads jumped to conclusions and universally condemned Zidane; indeed, one network's anchorman actually called him a "louse." It's oh-so-typical that the mainstream media were too lazy to ask journalistically obvious questions, much less provide answers: "Why would professional soccer's equivalent of Michael Jordan do such a bizarre thing in his very last game? Was there was any reason for his red-card foul?"

And yet the answers to those questions could very well uncover important mitigating circumstances. For instance, my European friends tell me that a respected professional lip reader was retained to analyze the World Cup Final Game on videotape. Unsurprisingly, the lip reader discovered that Marco Materazzi had intentionally provoked Zinedine Zidane on the field by calling his sister a "prostitute," and him a "terrorist." Furthermore, Materazzi knew that Zidane is ethnically Algerian. In the context of Zidane's North African racial heritage, Materazzi's insults took on the additional dimension of extremely provocative racist slurs, which explains why Zidane suddenly snapped.

There is one more fact that points to mitigating circumstances. Materazzi almost certainly stooped to the gutter level of hurling racist insults in order to provoke Zidane, thus hoping to get France's best player ejected from the game. Of course, the World Cup not only officially condemns racism but also regards any unsportsmanlike utterance of a racist slur during a game as a very serious offense. The Italian team should not have been rewarded for this ugly winning-through-racism tactic. If the referee knew that Materazzi had been using provocative racist taunts, he could not have exonerated Zidane for his retaliatory headbutt, but he should have ejected Materazzi on a red-card foul too.

Therefore, I for one was happy to learn that some ameliorative justice was done when the World Cup officials ignored Zidane's ejection for the red-card foul, and honored him anyway by awarding him the Golden Boot as the World Cup's best player.


WORLD CUP SOCCER VERSUS TRADITIONAL AMERICAN SPORTS


On Monday, the PBS "News Hour With Jim Lehrer" had an interesting segment in which the female editor of a soccer magazine debated the male editor of Sports Illustrated about two questions: "Who was the US audience that watched the World Cup?"; and "What is soccer's future in America?"

Unsurprisingly, Soccer Magazine lady was there to pump up professional soccer, whereas Sports Illustrated gentleman was there to put down the soccer uprising.

Pro-soccer woman essentially argued that the younger American adults in their early 30s and 20s grew up playing soccer, so they've become the hard-core soccer fans who watched the World Cup games (and especially the Final Game between France and Italy, which drew an unusually large American TV audience). She concluded that Americans can change enough to give professional soccer a vibrant future inside the USA. She even went so far as to predict that soccer will become at least as popular as professional hockey, even if it never rivals the NBA, NFL, or MLB.

Anti-soccer man counterargued that the unusually large TV audience during this World Cup was an anomaly that occurs once every four years. To him, the reality inside the USA is that male and female professional soccer leagues have always gone bankrupt, precisely because they lack anything approaching a sustainable fan base. He concluded that the woman's optimistic perspective is a rehash of the same "here-comes-soccer" hyperbole that he's been hearing for 30 years. HOwever, professional soccer will never have US fan support that rivals professional football, baseball, basketball, or hockey. And there you have it -- the insular mentality of the American sports world in a nutshell!

By the way, it's noteworthy that the optimistic woman appeared to be in her mid-forties and makes her money by promoting soccer, whereas the pessimistic man appeared to be in his mid-sixties and makes his money by promoting traditional American sports. Hence, their different ages and income sources have influenced their opposite beliefs that American sports fans can -- or cannot -- change enough include professional soccer.

If you ask me, billions of soccer fans aren't wrong. The game of soccer at the World Cup level was beautiful to behold. And it would be a shame if Americans were too ethnocentric to even give it a chance. Therefore, please ponder sportwriter Patrick Daugherty's insightful column because it reveals . . .


ONE GOOD REASON WHY WORLD CUP SOCCER IS BETTER THAN NFL FOOTBALL


"Due to the media information glut, I will forego World Cup references save for one thought. World Cup games begin with 45 minutes of commercial-free soccer, followed by an intermission long enough to prepare a wholesome snack, crack a beer, make a phone call, and check e-mail. This is followed by another 45 minutes of commercial-free soccer. There are no timeouts, and no commercials, during the game. None. Zero. Zip.

"Forty-five minutes between commercials, and the ABC/ESPN television executives are on their knees, praying that Americans won't notice. Since soccer is the world's game, and since the rest of the world doesn't care whether we like it or not, ABC and ESPN have zero leverage as to how the game is presented.

"Quite unlike the spineless, one-legged dog that is the National Football League. That greedy corporate puppet will do ANYTHING for money. For instance, they have allowed five commercial timeouts to be mandated during every NFL quarter. That's the NFL-guaranteed minimum. Now, add an orgy of commercials mislabeled as "halftime."

"The result is that there are about 12 minutes of action in a typical three-and-a-half-hour NFL game. The other 198 minutes are spent on penalties, injury timeouts, getting to one's feet, zombie-walking into a huddle, substitutions, change of possessions, coaches' timeouts, and . . . commercials.

"Sports-loving American television watchers, let's compare World Cup soccer to NFL football: we can get 90 minutes of soccer action completely uninterrupted by timeouts and commercials; or we can get 12 minutes of football action interspersed between interminable delays and at least 20 commercials.

"If you ask me, that's one reason why World Cup soccer is better than NFL football."


================================================== ============= FINALLY, THREE DIRECTLY-RELATED ESSAYS ARE WORTH READING:


[1] Dave Zirin and John Cox's 7-7-06 Common Dreams essay, "French Soccer And The Future Of Europe" [The authors explain why the significance of the French national team goes well beyond soccer by juxtaposing their many World Cup successes against the racist views of right-wing politician Jean-Marie Le Pen. To which I say: "Vive la France multicultural!"]:


http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0707-22.htm


[2] Danny Schecter's 7-6-06 Common Dreams essay, "Beyond the World Cup: Can You Feel What I Feel Today?" [Contends that we imbue athletes and sporting events with far too much significance to provide a diversion from our collective inability to solve out-of-control problems in the real world. To him, the current World Cup competition falls somewhere between another Romanesque bread-and-circus spectacle and Everyman's identification with the mythopoetic journey of his nation's heroes.]:


http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0706-23.htm


[3] Branko Milanovic's 7-6-06 Tom Paine essay, "World Cup Economics: The Movement Of International Soccer Players Is A Good Example Of Globalization's Effects" [Compares labor movements among soccer players during highly-regulated World Cup competition to their unregulated movement afterwards during national league play. However, his proposed solution to correct globalization's "brain drain" is pragmatically unworkable due to capitalist greed, for the benefiting developed nations will never agree to pay immigrant laborers to return to their underdeveloped homelands for one year of pro bono publico work, and the immigrant laborers most certainly cannot afford to finance such a trip by themselves.]:


http://www.tompaine.com/articles/200..._economics.php


July 12, 2006 By: Joe American


http://www.thepeoplesvoice.org/cgi-b...06/07/12/p9332
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:34 AM   #161
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,344
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default

Laker Raider is still trying to justify what Zindane did

it was flat out dumb....its that simple... whatever was said to him could have been dealt with verbally. the situation was verbal until Zindane head butts the guy...

It was a bad idea....period..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #162
God of BasketBall
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: @Oldschool home insulting him
Posts: 276
God of BasketBall has not been impressing people
Default

Kid is determined...I damn sure aint reading all of that stuff he just posted. He'll never get over it. I wonder how he felt about Raja Bell choke slammin his boy Kobe.
God of BasketBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #163
craigthomasb
College star
 
craigthomasb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,846
craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here
Default

the truth shall be revealed later today.....
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #164
sac#1
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27
sac#1 has an OK reputation so far
Default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhmN_...elated&search=
sac#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #165
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater
 
XxNeXuSxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UConn
Posts: 8,000
XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of BasketBall
Kid is determined...I damn sure aint reading all of that stuff he just posted. He'll never get over it. I wonder how he felt about Raja Bell choke slammin his boy Kobe.

GOBB has a new name?
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:07 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy