Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 07-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #196
SirPresident
I hit open 5-footers

SirPresident has an OK reputation so far

PARIS (Reuters) - Zinedine Zidane said on Wednesday that Italian defender Marco Materazzi insulted his mother and his sister during the World Cup final against Italy.

The French captain reacted to the insult by head-butting Materazzi's chest in the second period of extra time of the match. He was sent off.

"He (Materazzi) pronounced very tough words about my mother and my sister. I tried not to listen to him but he kept repeating them," Zidane said in a live interview on French television channel Canal Plus.

Zidane offered an apology to all children and to all fans for his behavior but he said he did not regret it.

"This was not something to do. I want to make it clear because it was watched by two billion people and by millions of kids," Zidane said.

"I want to apologize to them but I can't regret what I did because it would mean that he (Materazzi) was right to say what he said."

Playing the last game of his career, Zinedine was shown a red card, leaving his team mates to finish the match without him. France lost on penalties.

Zidane denied Materazzi called him an Islamic "terrorist", as was reported by a Paris-based anti-racism group.

Zidane is of Algerian origin, his parents being born in the village of Aguemone in the Kabylie region.

FIFA decided on Tuesday to open a disciplinary investigation to clarify the circumstances surrounding the incident and Sepp Blatter, the chairman of the soccer's ruling body, hinted that Zidane could be stripped of the tournament's best player award.
SirPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:19 PM   #197
SirPresident
I hit open 5-footers

SirPresident has an OK reputation so far

Ahhh sorry about that people, i have no idea what happened i hit reply and my comp froze up and did that.
SirPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:32 PM   #198
MDIZZ the TiMVP2
Can barely lace up my sneakers

MDIZZ the TiMVP2 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHAKIDD532
dan patrick said that an italian player, as stupid as it sounds, gave him a purple nurpal, meaning he twisted his nipple, so he headbutted the dude...

if so HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
MDIZZ the TiMVP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #199
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Jerm has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
I agree with GOBB and Rasheed as well. The fact remains that if it was a racial slur, Zidane has been going through that for his entire career, which has been quite lengthy. It doesn't make any sense for him to just lose it on the biggest stage becasue it happened again.

His mom was "seriously ill" and if he was called "the son of a terrorist whore" which means that this guy not only insulted his heritage but his mother too, heads will roll if it were me. I don't know, what would you do?...Run home and cry to your dying mom?

Mama you were insulted but I did nothing about it and kept my composure. Mama, here is the world cup. Your mom smiles and calls you the best of sons.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #200
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
His mom was "seriously ill" and if he was called "the son of a terrorist whore" which means that this guy not only insulted his heritage but his mother too, heads will roll if it were me. I don't know, what would you do?...Run home and cry to your dying mom?

Mama you were insulted but I did nothing about it and kept my composure. Mama, here is the world cup. Your mom smiles and calls you the best of sons.

Well I commented on this earlier in the thread and agreed that if it was about his mom, then I can certainly understand what he did. But i stand by the fact that if he was provoked by something racial, I don't think he should have acted that way. You gotta understand that every star athlete in the world goes through those kind of things, and however disgraceful it is for the people who are doing the namecalling, it is part of sports now. Sad, but unfortunately true. Now, knowing that every single opponent is going to send slurs at you trying to get you, the star player, tossed from the game, would you give in and do exactly what they are trying to make you do.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:51 PM   #201
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ContentID=1054

Zidane treated outrageously: Gosper

14th July 2006, 8:20 WST

Kevan Gosper, one of Australia's top Olympic officials, has hit out at soccer's world governing body FIFA over Zinedine Zidane's dismissal in the World Cup final for failing to take into account the effect of verbal abuse.

The France captain was sent off for headbutting Marco Materazzi in the chest after the Italian defender allegedly repeatedly insulted his mother and sister.

Zidane spoke on French television on Wednesday about the hurtful nature of the comments and while he would not elaborate on the exact words, he said he would have preferred "to have been punched in the face".

Gosper, one of Australia's senior International Olympic Committee members, described Zidane's straight red card as "outrageous" as it failed to consider Materazzi's role in the incident.

With the incident now under investigation by FIFA, Gosper said the organisation had the opportunity to crack down on the blight of sledging in sport.

"The outrageous on-field treatment of Zinedine Zidane offers the FIFA Disciplinary Review Panel an opportunity to send a message to the sporting world that verbal abuse can be more wounding than physical attack and will not be tolerated," Gosper said in a statement on Thursday.

Gosper called on FIFA to acknowledge the psychological effect sledging can have upon sportsmen and to treat it as seriously as any physical abuse during matches.

"Without a public appreciation by FIFA of the long-term impact on Zidane, he will carry forever the burden of a verbal abuse every bit as wounding as a physical attack," Gosper said.

"The referee got it wrong when he failed to establish the reason for Zidane acting as he did before abandoning him to the Hall of Infamy."

France went on to lose the World Cup final to Italy 5-3 on penalties, following Zidane's dismissal with 10 minutes to play in extra-time and the score level at 1-1.

AAP

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ContentID=1054
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:02 PM   #202
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/...as_spoken.html

Now that Zidane has spoken

Zizou has reinvigorated a controversial debate in a controversial fashion.

Cameron Duodu

July 13, 2006 01:53 PM

Zidane's refusal to reveal exactly what Materazzi said to provoke that headbutt must have been highly frustrating for those with no understanding of the Berber culture.

But if Zidane had repeated those "difficult", "hard" words in his TV interview, he would have been insulting himself, his mother and his sister. There are, of course, many points of view regarding who is to blame in this sorry affair.

There is not much point in trying to change people's minds on an issue as charged as this. But I think it is useful to examine the mindset that led to Zidane acting in the way that he did. We, the Akan of Ghana, have much the same attitude as the Berbers. In our childhood, we are taught that if someone insults another person, and you then go and tell the insulted person what the other person had said, then it is YOU who have insulted him or her. This is obviously done to warn us to avoid back-biting, which, in modern parlance, would be called "bad-mouthing".

African cultures are also different from European cultures in that legal abstractions do not, for the most part, come into play in the dynamic relationships that exist between human beings. The objective of our laws is always to ensure that natural justice is done. Hence, anyone arguing that the reaction to a provocation should be punished, but not the provocation, would receive short shrift

The Akan of Ghana have canonised the idea of cause and effect with a proverb that says, "If nothing had gone and stamped itself on the dried palm leaf, it would not have crackled noisily"

The Zidane episode has led to a re-examination of some of the practices in football that are making the game an abomination to players such as Samuel Eto'o of Barcelona. Is FIFA's campaign, "Say No To Racism" a serious one? At the moment, it seems a grubby one, in which players, and managers who make racist comments, and clubs whose spectators use monkey chants, are merely rapped on the wrist.

If the punishments were severe enough, it would deter others from engaging in such acts. Even Materazzi might have thought twice before provoking Zidane, for fear that he might be charged with racist behaviour.

As Zidane remarked, the episode was witnessed by between one and two billion people, which means that a World Cup Final is perhaps the most global event of our age. FIFA should take advantage of this opportunity to reform and become truly global.

Taking away Zidane's golden football won't solve a problem that will still be rearing its ugly head twenty years from now, unless very firm action is taken today. Zidane has told the world: "I am a man first". It is more a message to FIFA and its European-inspired rules than to anyone else.

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/...as_spoken.html
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: