Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Atlanta Hawks Forum

Atlanta Hawks Forum Atlanta Hawks message board - atlanta hawks fan forum

Old 06-29-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
T21
I brick open layups

T21 has an OK reputation so far
Default Best value!

Its over!
I would say that we could be happy with how things unfolded... Hawks went with logic and drafted package (3 & 11) with greatest value.
Horford and Law > Conley and Thornton.
Hawks also addressed their true needs (PG and BIG) with two most NBA ready players, who can both join the starting lineup, contribute and upgrade the team.
The upside is in the fact that Hawks still hold so many cards in their hands, that if they want to make trades or sign FA's (just think of next years FA crop) to further upgrade the team, they have plenty of options and pieces to make it happen'...
P.S. I'm glad Hawks weren't trigger happy on trade front (I'm refering to that stupid Seattle rumor 11 for Ridnour), although it would have been nice to see Amare in Hawks uniform... Anyway, Hawks stayed comitted to their strategy and are on the right course...
T21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
frankthetank966
I hit open layups

frankthetank966 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Best value!

Great Post!!! Anyways the more I look at the amare trade the more bogus I think it was. Anyways I loved the draft and completely agreeded with you. Anyways do you know any good free agent centers? I can imagine us trading Johnson, Lue and/or Shelden for a veteran center. How 'bout Camby?
frankthetank966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
E.B.S.
Can barely lace up my sneakers

E.B.S. has an OK reputation so far

I wouldn't say that the Amare rumour is totally dead. Anything can still happen and if Kerr wants Garnett as bad as it sounds, they'll still need 3 teams to complete such a deal. And I have source that says Amare wouldn't object to a deal from Phoenix to Atlanta. He's infact welcome the change in scenery.

Drafting Law was a smart pick, but the Hawks are still thin at the point. As much as it would hurt losing someone like Childress coming off the bench, I still think dealing for Calderon is the Hawks best option right now.

If by chance such deals still happen, that being Amare and Jose coming to Atlanta, then the Hawks are gonna be a damn scarey squad next season.
E.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
DAXX
Serious playground baller

DAXX has an OK reputation so far

atlanta sucks ass
DAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
frankthetank966
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B.S.
I wouldn't say that the Amare rumour is totally dead. Anything can still happen and if Kerr wants Garnett as bad as it sounds, they'll still need 3 teams to complete such a deal. And I have source that says Amare wouldn't object to a deal from Phoenix to Atlanta. He's infact welcome the change in scenery.

Drafting Law was a smart pick, but the Hawks are still thin at the point. As much as it would hurt losing someone like Childress coming off the bench, I still think dealing for Calderon is the Hawks best option right now.

If by chance such deals still happen, that being Amare and Jose coming to Atlanta, then the Hawks are gonna be a damn scarey squad next season.
I love to dream. This is never going to happen. We should get calderon but what about popalokus? Nobody drafted him.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
E.B.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank966
I love to dream. This is never going to happen. We should get calderon but what about popalokus? Nobody drafted him.

True, but how comfortable would you guys be with two rookies running the point this season? Neither would be able to jump right in and fix the problem. There's still a learning curve for guys that are so young.

Sure Calderon's only been in the league for a couple seasons, but the international experience can't be measured. Its a dilemma that Colangelo will have to figure out at least by the latest the trade deadline because next season Calderon will command some big bucks and there's no way the Raptors are going to have both PG's at $7+ million/season.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
frankthetank966
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B.S.
True, but how comfortable would you guys be with two rookies running the point this season? Neither would be able to jump right in and fix the problem. There's still a learning curve for guys that are so young.

Sure Calderon's only been in the league for a couple seasons, but the international experience can't be measured. Its a dilemma that Colangelo will have to figure out at least by the latest the trade deadline because next season Calderon will command some big bucks and there's no way the Raptors are going to have both PG's at $7+ million/season.
Also true, but I believe that after the first few games Horford will come in and start at CENTER! I have made my case about this on another thread and I am sticking to it. He has the size and skill set. Anyways as for Law, he is not a "natural" NBA PG. But the more I look at it, the better he is for the Hawks than Conely. #1 He has more experience and we need that since we are already so young #2 He is a much better shooter and when Joe Johnson gets double teamed who do they go to? Law. #3 He has great size for an NBA PG.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
E.B.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank966
Also true, but I believe that after the first few games Horford will come in and start at CENTER! I have made my case about this on another thread and I am sticking to it. He has the size and skill set.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then because for the center spot in the NBA I think he'll be more undersized and better suit the PF role instead. For the NCAA sure he was a force and both C & PF, but the NBA's a whole new beast if you ask me. Not saying he's not going to be a force to reckon with down the road, I just don't think he'll have the immediate impact that some would seem to think he'll have this season. JMO
Old 06-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
frankthetank966
I hit open layups

While here is my post maybe it will help.

Why we should Al Horford.

But I have tons of confidence in him that he is capable of playing center and being successful. Lets look at some other big men around his height and weight. Al Horford (6-10 245 lbs and still growing) Marcus Camby (6-11 230) Dwight Howard (6-11 265) Carlos Boozer (6-9 258) Tim Duncan (6-11 260) and Amare Stoudemire (6-10 245 exactly like Horford). All of those guys I just listed are top 6 rebounders in the league and a few of them (Stoudemire and (Boozer) are top 10 scorers in the league. I think Horford can easily play the center position seeings as he is NBA ready, has excellent post skills and great defense and is a hard worker so he can do anything he desires.

Last edited by frankthetank966 : 06-29-2007 at 03:26 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: