Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 06-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far
Default Now What?

So now that the draft is done.We have are point guards now we need to fill these other holes.I would love for us to go after Gerald Wallace.Chris Wallace said that the three points we need to fix were.1 rebounding,2 defense,3 point guard play.Ok one down two to go.Gerald wallace helps with defense and rebounding.He is only 6'7'' but averaged over seven boards a game and more then two steals a game.His blocks were down.But the year prior he averaged over two a game.He is a great athlete that makes great cuts to the basket and creates space for him self brilliantly.He would be reat here.Also he is only 24!! Future people.Rebounding.I wanted Aron Gray in the draft.I think he was a steal at 49.He was third team all american last year.He is Jake Tsakalidis size except good.Not real good but servicable.Now we have to look for a trade to get the big man.Or at least some size.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:20 AM   #2
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Now What?

Looks like Wallace can do a good job of covering both rebounds and defense, but he obviously can't do it alone. I have no idea who are becoming free agents this year so maybe some one can give me a site or link that gives me that info, that might help me give my opinion on who we can sign. But anyway Wallace looks to be our best option right now and with Jason Richardson being picked up by Charlotte, I doubt they will be re-signing Wallace.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
jailer
MillionDollarException

arently jordan still wants to resign him.As for other free agents.There is Jamal Magloire,Chris Mihm,Desmond Mason,Ealr Boykins,Mo Williams,Chauncy Billups,Anderson Varejo,P.J. Brown,Vince Carter, Rasahd Lewis.Im sure there are more but these are the few that come to mind.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:21 AM   #4
the grizzz
Can barely lace up my sneakers

the grizzz has an OK reputation so far

i would like to see rashard lewis. he is a great score and all around a great player. the only thing is he reportedly wants to play in NYC and many teams would like him. portland is one of those teams
the grizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
jailer
MillionDollarException

Man Im just ready for it to start.I want to see what the grizz have cooked up.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

J-Memphis has an OK reputation so far

looks like Wallace the G.M. not to be confused with Gerald is shooting for Anderson V. from the Cavs. I will admit that he hustles and can rebound and defend pretty well which could benefit the Grizz and Pau, but I am not exactly pumped about the prospect of him in a grizz uniform. Mostly because of his ridiculous shot in Game 3 of the Finals.

And then theres the one million times hes pissed me off falling on the floor flopping so hard Vlade Divac is scared no one will remember him as the all-time greatest flopper anymore. Yes sometimes its good defense, and hes quick setting his feet, but a lot of times he just did it because he knew he couldnt really defend the opponent (like Duncan). I think his defense is overhyped because of his need to flop, which could become illegal if the anti-flopping rule really comes to play soon.

But there really isnt many PF's that would be a better option this year unless we went small and go after G. Wallace. It could work, but I think that might hamper Gay's growth this year.

So in a way Id rather see someone like A.V. who doesnt need to score to allow Gay, Kinsey, Lowry, and Conley to grow offensively while maintaining the scoring from Gasol and Miller.
J-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #7
jailer
MillionDollarException

I see what your saying in terms of letting gay grow.Im saying that wallace's game is not one where he needs the ball.He runs like rip hamilton or reggie miller.He gets alot of put backs and plays inside alot.He could only help in every way for this team.It dosen't really matter though.The bobcats will over pay to keep him.Which I don't believe we will.Verajo is one player that I looked at.He is a high energy player I agree.Actually I think noah is alot like him.Exept noah has alot more potential.There the exact same mold.Im also hearing Miki Moore.I was thinking about Jamal Magloire.He is a legit center.Probably will be more expensive than verajo.But anderson has already been offered a deal from the cavs.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 AM   #8
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Memphis
looks like Wallace the G.M. not to be confused with Gerald is shooting for Anderson V. from the Cavs. I will admit that he hustles and can rebound and defend pretty well which could benefit the Grizz and Pau, but I am not exactly pumped about the prospect of him in a grizz uniform. Mostly because of his ridiculous shot in Game 3 of the Finals.

And then theres the one million times hes pissed me off falling on the floor flopping so hard Vlade Divac is scared no one will remember him as the all-time greatest flopper anymore. Yes sometimes its good defense, and hes quick setting his feet, but a lot of times he just did it because he knew he couldnt really defend the opponent (like Duncan). I think his defense is overhyped because of his need to flop, which could become illegal if the anti-flopping rule really comes to play soon.

But there really isnt many PF's that would be a better option this year unless we went small and go after G. Wallace. It could work, but I think that might hamper Gay's growth this year.

So in a way Id rather see someone like A.V. who doesnt need to score to allow Gay, Kinsey, Lowry, and Conley to grow offensively while maintaining the scoring from Gasol and Miller.
If Varejao made that shot, everyone would be on his nuts but because he missed it, everyone hates him. Hate maybe too strong of a word here but it does seem like everyone doesn't like him that much anymore because of that shot.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
jailer
MillionDollarException

Wow that is so true.Everyone that I talk to him about.They immedietely talk trash about that game three shot.Huh funny.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #10
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

Kebab, youre right, IF he had made that shot, people would be all over him, and I am hating on him for missing the shot... but when his biggest vocal supporter all year, The King himself, says "I was gonna get the ball back" and thats it, you know it was a bad shot. He panicked and took a quick fling instead of reposting or giving it back to LeBron in the final seconds.

It was a bad shot. Made or missed.

Regardless, hes got amazing energy and can help in many ways. I'll admit that. But I haven't liked him this entire season. Probably because even my girlfriend gets pissed at how much he's on the floor beggin for a call. It would be harder for me to stomach the signing more so because of how frustrated I've been over his flops in a game.

He's a guy that frustrates other teams and other fans. His team and his fans enjoy him. If hes on the Grizz, I'll at least be more receptive to him than Brian Cardinal.

The only thing that no one is mentioning is the FA list next year. If you havent seen the list look it up at ESPN. KG, Marion, Brand, JO, AI, Gilbert, and at least 12 other players as good or better than Gerald Wallace will be availible next season. With very little teams with cap money, why not invest a few million this year and save the rest for next after Gay and Conley have another season under their belts. (I'm not implying any of those guys will sign with Memphis, but there is definitely more to choose from). Theres no need to jump and spend 6-8 million now on someone whos worth far less when it could be better spent next year.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:48 AM   #11
jailer
MillionDollarException

I understand your point on not wanting to over spend.Lets face it the players next year will not come here.There are alot of big names.None of which will play for memphis.All of those guys want to win and are up there in age.Except for arenas.Wallace will cost at least eleven million a season.Not six to eight.If we can over pay for guys like cardinal and Tsakalidis.I would be damn surprised for us to not go after a real player in gerald wallace.Look at j-wil's contract.I mean we gave millions a way.Now we have a chance at an up and coming star and we want to be cheap.I don't get it people.Pau wants to win.He might not want to wait for next season.Unless conley puts in a chris paul rookie season.Which I don't see happening.Anyways on sunday there were eight teams inquiring about gerald wallace and the grizz were not one of them.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:59 AM   #12
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Memphis
Kebab, youre right, IF he had made that shot, people would be all over him, and I am hating on him for missing the shot... but when his biggest vocal supporter all year, The King himself, says "I was gonna get the ball back" and thats it, you know it was a bad shot. He panicked and took a quick fling instead of reposting or giving it back to LeBron in the final seconds.

It was a bad shot. Made or missed.
Yes I agree it was a bad decission whether he made it or missed it. He didn't have any body control at all, he just kind of stumbled in and threw it up for the lucky shot. But a casual fan wouldn't see it that way. The casual fan would see it like that if he made it he would be a god for saving the team and if he missed it then everyone would hate him, which they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Anyways on sunday there were eight teams inquiring about gerald wallace and the grizz were not one of them.
Grizzlies best have some other signing deals/trades that are going to happen, otherwise we can look forward to another season at the bottom. I also agree with J-Memphis' idea of spending carefully, we don't want to throw away money when it can be better spent on better players in a year, but we still have to make some moves this off-season.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #13
jailer
MillionDollarException

I mean I agree I don't want to give anderson varejao an 80 million dollar contract.But we need more talent here.Pau is the only guy we have wit size on the roster.Everyone else is around 6'8 to 6'9.Thats sad.I have looked at every other team.They all have at least two to three guys over 6'10.Being small really limits our play.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

If we got Anderson, Id be 50-50 about the deal. Why? He hustles. You cant hate on hustle.

But...

If we do the same deal for Darko... I'll move. To any other NBA city. Hes got good blocking skills but hes more inconsistent and way less fun to watch than Stromile.

But a new idea

Kurt Thomas has 1 yr and 8 mil left on his contract. He plays for our new Coach's old team. Like I was saying it would be nice to pay someone for one year to have cap space for next years free agents. Why not try to send Warrick (who would thrive in PHX) and/or Kyle Lowry for Kurt Thomas. Hes big plays great D, and can hit a 15-18 footer. Hed fit great next to Pau, and knows the run and gun system were gonna use this yr.

If that worked out, wed look like this:

PG: Mike Conley, Jr.
SG: Mike Miller
SF: Rudy Gay
PF: Pau Gasol
C: Kurt Thomas

Bench: Alexander Johnston, Tarence Kinsey, Damon Stoudamire

I think thats a great way to go in the Coach and Conley's first year. Then we can go after someone great next year. What ya think?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #15
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

EDIT:

Stromile Swift - 5.4 Mil - 1 yr
Kyle Lowry - 1.01 Mil - 1 yr

Kurt Thomas - 7.8 Mil - 1 yr

This worked on ESPN's Trade Machine and as it stands it would give an additional 1 mil to spend in 08.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: