Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 07-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
poindexter
I hit open layups

poindexter has an OK reputation so far
Default Milicic signs with Grizz!

Just read Darko is signing with the Grizzlies!!
poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

TarHeelBorn has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Milicic signs with Grizz!

Lucky bum, I wanted him in Charlotte! ...

But, hey jailer! We got G-Dub! (sorry)
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
mateo31
Go ahead, make my day.

mateo31 has an OK reputation so far

Where did you read this at Poindexter?
mateo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
mateo31
Go ahead, make my day.

mateo31 has an OK reputation so far

Never mind I just saw an article on ESPN.com (the worldwide leader in sports) saying that Darko will sign with the Grizzlies. It sounds like based on the article that the deal is alleged to be worth substantially more than the 5.3 million mid level exception. Pau Gasol and Darko Millic should be a nice front line duo.
mateo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #5
poindexter
I hit open layups

read it Commercialappeal.com

looks like between 6-7 mill. for 3 years.

Millicic is still all about potential. He may prove
to be a great steal or he may prove to be a bust.
I rather think he will make a good complement to Pau.
Now have a European front line with Spain and Croatia.
And the dude is only 22. I kinda like the new lineup:
C Darko
PF Pau/Hakim
SF Rudy
SG ?/Kinsey
PG Lowry/Conley

I think they are looking at trading Miller that is why I didn't
put him on there.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 AM   #6
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If Milicic can't do anything remotely productive then I am not going to be very happy. I don't want the Grizzlies to waste their time on a guy who isn't going to show any signs of improvement, if he can improve then wonderfull but right now I don't see this working.

Trading Miller is a bad idea unless they can get someone with very good range. I can't think of anyone right now but if it where me I would hold on to Miller for a little while longer.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

I would hold on to Miller, too. I mean, how can you complain about a guy who shot 40% from 3 last year and averaged 18.5 pts? Gasol is obviously the man on the Griz but Miller is really important. Y'all would have been far worse without him last year.

I wouldn't be too down on Darko, yet. I really wanted him to be a Bobcat because he hasn't been given good minutes yet. It's hard to judge his development since he was playing with the best center in the East (the league?) last season in Dwight Howard. Pro-rate his stats to 35 minutes a game and he has a much more impressive line. He will be very beneficial to y'all defensive which is especially important under the basket in the West.

But you are right, if he doesn't produce... this will have been a big mistake for the Griz. Y'all will still have cap space and probably a lottery pick next year so that might have been better spent in the pursuit of one of the many big time free agents next year...

Man, the teams with cap space next year sure are lucky. Duncan, Granett, Brand, Arenas, Jamison, Marion, Iverson, J. O'Neal, B. Davis... seriously, it's almost depressing that some of those guys won't be paid nearly as much as they deserve because of how many of them there are. No more than 2 of 'em will get the deal Lewis just did and they are all far more valuable than him.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Yeah I still don't like Darko.The bobcats overpaid to keep Gerald wallace.So that is understandable.I agree,I hate miller.However you can't give away a guy of his shooting caliber.We need to after peterson.But he looks as if he is heading to the jazz or the hornets.We need some one else.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

I wouldn't say $9.5 mil a year is over-paying Wallace since it was speculated he would get $10-12. Plus, Orlando just set the new benchmark for the word over-pay.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
J-Memphis
I hit open layups

J-Memphis has an OK reputation so far

Im pretty 50-50 on this deal. As Ive said I didnt want Varejo or Darko, but Im obviously not the General Manager either. Heres the way I see it:

Pros:
-We could have spent every penny on Darko; we didnt and we have just enough left to get a minimum contract player who could shoot the 3... or we can hold on to the cash.

-Darko's production in just 24 minutes is pretty good. More minutes could mean 12 pts 8 rbs 1.5-2 blks a game. For a team that's had Lorenzen Wright, Big Jake, and company try to play along Pau, I think thats nothing to hate at right now.

-Darko is still only going to be 22 next season. Only one of his four seasons has his team even tried to develop him.

- We didn't draft him over Wade, Bosh, Melo, JHoward, Hinrich, etc. We just signed him to a 3 year deal. 3 years. By that time, he'll be only 25 and have plenty of chances to prove whether he's a quality C or not.

- He's not Brian Cardinal, and his contract is shorter and cheaper!

Cons:

- We could have used the money next year on better free agents. (But could have the Memphis public waited that long?)

- No, We didn't pull a Rashard-I-Must-Think-I'm-AROD-Lewis Deal, but we probably did spend a little too much for so much potential and so little proof.

- Results arent immediate, we have to wait this one out.

- He could end up being Brian Cardinal's best friend.

So while there are a few things that bother me about this deal, I'm not gonna go ballistic on the Grizz just yet. Darko's youth and blocking ability let this one slide... for now. Plus, were young, real young, and could be a fun and exciting team to watch at the Forum. That is enough to get me ready for 07/08.

Im just more worried that the last two-three years of Brian Cardinal's stay in Memphis wont end soon enough.
J-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #11
jailer
MillionDollarException

I thought this was the last season on cardinals contract?Anyway yeah Darko is young and shows pasiion.It's quite sad but he is the most talented center the memphis grizzlies have ever had.Pau gets to move back to the four.I hope pau and darko push eachother.Just like I know conley and lowry will push eachother.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #12
poindexter
I hit open layups

Good analysis J-mem. Grizz didn't overreach with just 3 years and not
5 or 6 like with cardinal. It also provides Darko with extra motivation
to produce. He is only 22 so in 3 years he will be 25 and just entering
his prime money making potential so if he can't show any production by
then he will be another Swift. Plus he will get quality minutes now being
a starter so he won't have any excuses if he sucks. I think it was a
good move. I think Cardinal still has 3 years left of a 6 year contract.
Now Ross Perot would say that was a giant sucking sound heard when
they made that deal.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #13
jailer
MillionDollarException

He signed lets see.When the grizz moved into the forum.So thats three seasons.I hope it's only five seasons on his contract.Man I hate west for screwing us with his contract.No matter what he will be a better performer then swift.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: