Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
1bball fan
Can barely lace up my sneakers

1bball fan has an OK reputation so far
Default How do I increase my verticle leap?

I've recently started playing basketball at a semi proffessional level in australia but my verticle jump is really average. Australians don't seem to be able to give me any information on what are the best types of exercises to do do to improve my verticle. Does anyone know what i should be doing to improve my leap?
1bball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

check out the streetball forum, lots of topics about this in there I think
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
Noob Saibot
NBA lottery pick

Noob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected poster

rim jumps - go to a court either an outside court or an inside court and try to touch the rim on each goal. run to each goal and jump to touch the rim. do this for about 1 minute, 3 sets each.

do lot of squatting too. you don't have to use weights.
Noob Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How do you increase your vert? Easy get offline.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
eeeeeebro
Decent college freshman

eeeeeebro has decent reputationeeeeeebro has decent reputation

jump while submerged under water
eeeeeebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

RecSpecs110 is considered somewhat coolRecSpecs110 is considered somewhat cool

Keep jumping? How else could you do it?
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
eeeeeebro
Decent college freshman

eeeeeebro has decent reputationeeeeeebro has decent reputation

when i was in highschool i had a high vertical leap and all i did was jump and try to touch things that lingered high in the air like the rim. practice jumping on your right foot helps too.
eeeeeebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
go to a court either an outside court or an inside court and try to touch the rim on each goal. run to each goal and jump to touch the rim. do this for about 1 minute, 3 sets each

Terrible advice. The impact that a street court has on your heels/feet are devastating in the long term. The long term effect far outweighs the short term effect.

Basically it's all shock transfer. It's why jumping, or even running consistently on street/pavement is not recommended by most people who know what their talking about.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Use a trampoline.

Duh.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

Wear ankle weights all day and then try jumping it will make you feel lighter.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 PM   #11
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I heard ankle weights were actually bad for your ankles/jumping
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #12
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
They worked for Earl Manigult and Jackie Jackson.

Last edited by L.Kizzle : 06-29-2007 at 08:59 PM.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
They are.

The only way to increase your vertical is to increase your base strength and then go into plyometrics.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:56 PM   #14
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

I heard if you don't use them right they can cause injury, also heard that they stunt your growth.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
they are. Every time you jump they pull on your ligaments.

1. try loosing as much fat as possible.
2. Build up your legs and lower back. Stretch and work on your flexibility. (squats, box jumps and calf raises)
3. you can try and get a weight west and put some light weights on it.
4. Jump
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: