Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #16
mhsbasketball
lol: smh:
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Big D
Posts: 598
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

do **** push ups
mhsbasketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #17
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater
 
XxNeXuSxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UConn
Posts: 7,998
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
I heard if you don't use them right they can cause injury, also heard that they stunt your growth.
How would they "stunt" your growth?

That's probably the largest myth around, anything stunts your growth nowadays. "You got to stop benching! It will stunt your growth" "Running? That'll stunt your growth!" Now "Ankle Weights?! STUNT YOUR GROWTH!"

All of that is crap. The only thing that has the potential of stunting your growth would be squatts and deadlifts. Any work out that has a danger of hurting your spinal is chord is the only way you could suddenly "stop" growing.

Ankle weights are bad for your knees and can hurt some ligaments, but they certainly aren't gonna stop you from growing.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:20 AM   #18
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,284
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
How would they "stunt" your growth?

That's probably the largest myth around, anything stunts your growth nowadays. "You got to stop benching! It will stunt your growth" "Running? That'll stunt your growth!" Now "Ankle Weights?! STUNT YOUR GROWTH!"

All of that is crap. The only thing that has the potential of stunting your growth would be squatts and deadlifts. Any work out that has a danger of hurting your spinal is chord is the only way you could suddenly "stop" growing.

Ankle weights are bad for your knees and can hurt some ligaments, but they certainly aren't gonna stop you from growing.
Hey I was just saying what I've heard.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:23 AM   #19
el_locoteee
Decent college freshman
 
el_locoteee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,670
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

Roids?
el_locoteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:35 AM   #20
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year
 
DatZNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,845
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

Seriously, plyometrics. Most specifically, look up various tops of box jumps, bounding, and then some compound movements like squats, lunges, dead lifts, hang and power cleans, calf raises, when you get experienced enough to be able to do them.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:13 AM   #21
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!
 
brantonli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 13433 km from Land of 2 Rings
Posts: 6,647
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
Wear ankle weights all day and then try jumping it will make you feel lighter.

They are going to ruin your feet for your short semi-professional career.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:30 AM   #22
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year
 
DatZNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,845
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

Here's a friend of mine video we shot last week
http://datznasty.freepgs.com/jamesdunk1.wmv

http://datznasty.freepgs.com/jamesdunk2.wmv

He actually didn't get up at all in either of these, but he's 6'6 so he can get away with that. He can jump though. I got a couple of myself where I'm trying to come from this black line (it's 13'6 and I have done it plenty of times before), but I take gigantic steps and keep stepping way over the line. Plus, I'm not elevating like I used to, though i still think if I got my steps better I would have gotten it.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:55 AM   #23
1bball fan
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

I got an email about a few days ago and i checked out the link and i have no idea if any of them work. http://hoopstip.vaponte.hop.clickbank.net/ has anyone used a program like this before? is it plyometrics or what?
1bball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #24
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star
 
Run&Gun=Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,189
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

Yeah plyometric training is training that increases muscular power...Power is what is required to jump higher.

Muscular power is maximum amount of muscular force in one effort...So when you do leg weights use medium amounts of weight low reps and perform the contraction as quickly as possible.

If your white you are likely not going to be able to improve that much...its just the way it is, people of this colour just dont have fast twitch fibres associated with muscular power.

If your a good long distance runner this is a bad sign your muscle fibres are suited to endurance exercise and training is likely to have minimal results.
If your a good sprinter your in luck!

A Classic exercise is hurdle hopping...you'll need some barriers to jump over.

Jump forward over the barriers with your feet together
The movement should come from your hips and knees
keep your body vertical and straight, and do not let your knees move apart or to either side
Tuck both knees to your chest
Use a double arm swing to maintain balance and gain height
You should land on the balls of the feet, allowing energy to be stored by the elastic components of the leg muscles, and immediately take off again
Keep the feet touch down time between hurdles to the shortest time possibe.

Quizmaster.

Last edited by Run&Gun=Fun : 06-30-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #25
allball
National High School Star
 
allball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring, TX (H-town)
Posts: 2,116
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tips-To-In...Leap&id=413573

but no matter what you do if you dont have great feet you wont be able to reach your max vert dynamically in game situations and you wont have the quick springing ability. so you may jump higher but it may not be very useful to you.

i know many guys with great vertical leaps that just play ball. no routines. no gimmicks. they're just great athletes.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:50 PM   #26
mhg88
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,385
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun=Fun
Yeah plyometric training is training that increases muscular power...Power is what is required to jump higher.

Muscular power is maximum amount of muscular force in one effort...So when you do leg weights use medium amounts of weight low reps and perform the contraction as quickly as possible.

If your white you are likely not going to be able to improve that much...its just the way it is, people of this colour just dont have fast twitch fibres associated with muscular power.

If your a good long distance runner this is a bad sign your muscle fibres are suited to endurance exercise and training is likely to have minimal results.
If your a good sprinter your in luck!

A Classic exercise is hurdle hopping...you'll need some barriers to jump over.

Jump forward over the barriers with your feet together
The movement should come from your hips and knees
keep your body vertical and straight, and do not let your knees move apart or to either side
Tuck both knees to your chest
Use a double arm swing to maintain balance and gain height
You should land on the balls of the feet, allowing energy to be stored by the elastic components of the leg muscles, and immediately take off again
Keep the feet touch down time between hurdles to the shortest time possibe.

Quizmaster.

Complete BS
mhg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #27
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star
 
Run&Gun=Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,189
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg88
Complete BS

If you've predominantly got red (slow twitch) muscle fibres you can train all you want but you'll never jump as high as someone who has a predominance of White (fast twitch) muscle fibres, even if this person doesnt train at all.

White people are normally high in the slow twitch fibres and thus are suited to long distance running, cycling, swimming ect events.

Black people naturally have higher fast twitch fibres a reason why the NBA has predominatly black athletes.

This is basic physiology.

Last edited by Run&Gun=Fun : 06-30-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #28
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star
 
Run&Gun=Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,189
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg88
Complete BS

posted twice!

Last edited by Run&Gun=Fun : 06-30-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #29
mhg88
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,385
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun=Fun
If you've predominantly got red (slow twitch) muscle fibres you can train all you want but you'll never jump as high as someone who has a predominance of White (fast twitch) muscle fibres, even if this person doesnt train at all.

White people are normally high in the slow twitch fibres and thus are suited to long distance running, cycling, swimming ect events.

Black people naturally have higher fast twitch fibres a reason why the NBA has predominatly black athletes.

This is basic physiology.

Not true. It is very possible, even probable that someone who trains correctly can outjump a person with more white muscle fibers. The key is to train the white muscle fibers that you do have. Black people naturally have a higher percentage of fast twitch fibers, true, but this has little to do with why the NBA has more blacks. There is a lot of other things to take into consideration. Black people grow up playing more basketball and other sports more often. Every time they do this they are training their white muscle fibers. There are a lot of white people out there who can jump 40"+ and they got there through training, so don't make it sound impossible, because it isn't. And for the record I'm white with a 36" vertical, improved from 32" after only a few months of training. There's another white guy on here with like a 38" vert. Don't discourage the guy
mhg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #30
Gad23
I hit open 5-footers
 
Gad23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 222
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

i heard that u can't actually get more fast twitch muscles but only increase the proportion of fast twitch mucles. for example. if u have 50-50 slow and fast twitch. u can train till its 75-25 for example.
Gad23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy