Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #31
mhg88
Local High School Star

mhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: How do I increase my verticle leap?

White guys who weight trained:

This guy is 5'7" touching 11' with a lean

This guy is 5'9" with a 46.5" standing vert
mhg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #32
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

you have neutral fibers that can go either way. And slow twitch muscle does still play a role in the vertical leap anyways so the whole "I'm white, boohoo, you're black, you're SUPPOSED to be more athletic than me," train of thought is nothing more than white people being salty because for once they may have found something they aren't the best at so they try to rationalize and eventually find a way to trace it back to themselves and how they made us that way.
Seriously, it is.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #33
mhg88
Local High School Star

mhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatZNasty
you have neutral fibers that can go either way. And slow twitch muscle does still play a role in the vertical leap anyways so the whole "I'm white, boohoo, you're black, you're SUPPOSED to be more athletic than me," train of thought is nothing more than white people being salty because for once they may have found something they aren't the best at so they try to rationalize and eventually find a way to trace it back to themselves and how they made us that way.
Seriously, it is.

I agree with that. White people don't put the work in because they think they can never jump high since they are white, but it's simply not true. If you work hard you can jump high no matter what color you are. My friends joke around and call me black because I can jump, but I'm the one doing squats while they are sitting around playing madden football.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #34
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

Run&Gun=Fun has decent reputation

Quote:
There are a lot of white people out there who can jump 40"+

Of course, there are anomilies to any rule. But why do you think no white man has ever come close to running 100metres in under 10 seconds? Its genetics,
Quote:
The key is to train the white muscle fibers that you do have.

Although physical activity can improve fitness, it cannot alter a person's biological endowment by converting fast-twitch fibers to slow-twitch ones, or vice versa.

If our friend here is playing semi pro basketball and is watching guys reverse 180 dunk from the free throw line its naive of us to suggest he can do that with training.

If your not genetically predisposed with the necessary muscle composition to be a good leaper its unlikely any amount of training will change that.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #35
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

same type of thing I was going to post mhg. There's this guy Dr Squat who is like 60yrs old and still gets over 48 inches on a stranding vert. He used to have the photo of himself doing it on his site, but he redid it and I can't find it anymore. Anyways here he is. His results came strictly from training olympic lifts, most of which are non explosive in nature. And amazing thing is, if he had gotten into plyometrics and agility training (he's a power lifter, not a bball player though so that's why he didn't), he could get that vertical even higher and I doubt he's very coordinated to play hoops but imagine that.

Don't look into increasing your vertical, or any goal you set for yourself really, and think in a defeatist way like all that I'm white, I'm fat, I got bad genetics BS or you're never going to maximize your ability anyways.

I come from a family where morbid obesity and heart problems and everything that goes with that runs rampant, on both sides. Go to either family reunion and you'd be hardpressed to find someone who can jump over a dictionary. But when I was like 15 and set the goal I wanted to dunk, none of that mattered to me and I got to the point where (at my best) I was dunking off of a vertical, 360 (180) either direction with either hand, windmills, pretty much any dunk that was out at the time except for between the legs and I'm only 5'11.

If you're gonna increase your vertical, go for it. Do the research, try a bunch of different programs and methods and see what works for you.

And there's quite a bit of literature and studies coming out lately suggesting that you can in fact change fast twitch and slow twitch muscle.

Last edited by DatZNasty : 06-30-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #36
mhg88
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun=Fun
Of course, there are anomilies to any rule. But why do you think no white man has ever come close to running 100metres in under 10 seconds? Its genetics,

Although physical activity can improve fitness, it cannot alter a person's biological endowment by converting fast-twitch fibers to slow-twitch ones, or vice versa.

If our friend here is playing semi pro basketball and is watching guys reverse 180 dunk from the free throw line its naive of us to suggest he can do that with training.

If your not genetically predisposed with the necessary muscle composition to be a good leaper its unlikely any amount of training will change that.

That's correct, and I never stated otherwise. Just said that certain activities involving explosive movements, such as basketball, will naturally train the fast twitch fibers that the person already has.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #37
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Terrible advice. The impact that a street court has on your heels/feet are devastating in the long term. The long term effect far outweighs the short term effect.

Basically it's all shock transfer. It's why jumping, or even running consistently on street/pavement is not recommended by most people who know what their talking about.

yes... NEVER do that on a daily basis... even if you have terrific shoes...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #38
mhg88
Local High School Star

Quote:
There's this guy Dr Squat who is like 60yrs old and still gets over 48 inches on a stranding vert.

Quote:
Don't look into increasing your vertical, or any goal you set for yourself really, and think in a defeatist way like all that I'm white, I'm fat, I got bad genetics BS or you're never going to maximize your ability anyways.

Great advice right there.

Quote:
I was dunking off of a vertical, 360 (180) either direction with either hand, windmills, pretty much any dunk that was out at the time except for between the legs and I'm only 5'11.

Congrats man, that's really impressive. How long did you train to get to that point?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #39
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

Couple yrs, but I didn't just train. I mostly just hooped and like on a day I didn't feel like going I'd just break out one of my plyometric routines and do it. Only program I did all the way through was Mad Bounce and then I did bits of pieces of damn near every other one that has been out since. I even have that one (won it in a contest) that is like 1000$ and an ebook. Never even really looked at it that much because it's the most inconvenient format possible and you can't print it (it's over 400 pages anyways) or copy and paste or even screencap it.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #40
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

Run&Gun=Fun has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg88
That's correct, and I never stated otherwise. Just said that certain activities involving explosive movements, such as basketball, will naturally train the fast twitch fibers that the person already has.

Ok, but you do understand that those guys whose pictures you posted must have a high proportion orf red muscle fibres...that leaping ability cannot simply be the product of training.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #41
Gad23
I hit open 5-footers

Gad23 has an OK reputation so far

i'm also interested to increase my vertical leap too. when i started playing about 2 years ago, i could barely touch the rim. i'm 6'2.5 btw with a 8'5 reach so i had like a 20 inch vert at first. lol. after just playing bball in 2 years (no weight training) i can just dunk the ball 1 handed so my vert is around 26-28 inches which is still crap. hoping to increase to 36 inches. any advice?

how many times should i weight train? how many reps? what exercise? im hearing so many contrasting stuff from so many sites. should i do plyos first? btw im like 176 pounds and very skinny.

PS:sorry for long post
Gad23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #42
bail
Serious playground baller

bail has an OK reputation so far

its in the genes I think. But it really helps when you jump alot if youre still a young kid. but right now it will be hard for to increase your vertical it might be too late. Just do more legs excersises. Jumping in pool is a good idea.
bail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #43
Gad23
I hit open 5-footers

i dun quite believe its all in the genes but maybe its limited to an extent by your genes. it baffles me why some guys in the nba don't train to increase their vert or speed. guys like mike dunleavy, adam morrision who could definitely use some more hops. lol.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #44
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

You got a 8'5 standing reach? You should be killing the damn rim. Sounds like you never lifted before so you should do something more bodyweight plyo oriented just to start to develop a strength base before you get into some real intense plyos like shock jumps and olympic lifts. I don't like it but it does tend to have decent results in those new to training, look up Air Alert 3 and only do it twice a week like Mon- Thu for a few weeks and see what happens.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #45
Gad23
I hit open 5-footers

i heard air alert is bad for the knees? all the repeated jumps or something. or should i do it on soft ground to absorb the impact? i'm thinking of doing some squats, lunges once or twice a week cos i got bball training like 4 times a week. plus im trying to bulk up to 200 pounds. lol. cos i play power forward or center most of the time.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: