Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

Default OT: How Much is Your Rent?

I'm in the middle of apartement hunting, trying to get a nice new bachelor pad, and after a number of calls replying to listings and just looking around the city, I started wondering what average rents for different cities in North America are. Here in Saint John, rents seem pretty low, even compared to other East Coast cities like Halifax.

For example I'm looking at a few places right downtown on nice streets that are only $400-500 a month for 2 bedrooms, and the most I've seen is $1200-1300 for a loft that would coul probably split 3 or 4 ways, both of which are about 30-40% less than I was used to seeing in Halifax where you'd be lucky to pay $500 a month, even if you were splitting the cost.

So what sort of rents are you guys used to seeing in the cities you live in? Are they close to the numbers I've been seeing, lower, or higher? Even if you don't live in an apartement, you might have heard about rents in your area, so throw those in as well.

Last edited by kwajo : 07-11-2006 at 09:35 AM.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

$475 a month, for a crappy 2 bedroom apartment in Topeka, Ks.
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Grand Villain
Banned

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0883960.html

Check out this link - the info you're looking for is under the "Housing" tab.
Grand Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Depends where you live. I lve in Long Island and my father charges about 900 dollars for a basement that has 1 bedroom, 1 living room, 1 bathroom, and a few closets. He also charges 750 for a studio apartment.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

About 300-400 where I live for a house down-town(Upper Michigan). My cousin lives on the coast of Florida in a 10 by 12 apartment right by the beach. I shlt you not he pays 1200 a month for that son of a gun. it has enough room for him to sleep and eat in and thats about it. Try asking anyone from southern Florida and i bet they will tell you its insane. Not to get off topic but my 250 grandouse would be worth close to about 500 grand in the Miami - Ft lauderdale Area.
HALLandOATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Villain
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0883960.html

Check out this link - the info you're looking for is under the "Housing" tab.

yeah I know I can get averages and indexes online, I just thought it would be fun to hear directly from people, plus many of us are in a similar age demographic, so it makes it a more interesting case study
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
mad handles
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Location: my cells padded and battered like someone else had it before me and kept throwing themself at it

I pay $960 a month (not including wate which runs about $15 a month) for a decent 1 bed 1 bath in North Va. When I was moving into this place I saw crappy ones for around 800 and ones running about 1200 (all 1 bed 1 bath). Prices here near D.C. are insane.
mad handles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #8
adamcz
Bucks fan

I've unfortunately been living in the most expensive places in the country

In Boston, one bedrooms averaged $1600. I actually shared a bedroom with another guy for a year dorm-room style, until we were able to find a place that was two bedrooms, but no living room. Both places were $1600, so my share was $800. Also in Boston, it's nearly impossible to sign a lease without paying an extra month to a realtor. One of the worst cities to go apartment hunting in.

In NY it was a lot better, since there are certain neighborhoods with bad reputations that in reality are perfectly safe. After a couple years of paying too much money, I found a steal of an apartment. $1600 for a 4 bedroom, of which my share was $440. Neighborhood used to have a history of drug trafficing, but I found it to be a nice friendly area.

Down here in central NJ, the cheapest one bedroom I was able to find (ignoring studios that are too small for my girl and I) was $875. Not as much cheaper than NY as I thought it would be.

I'm jealous of you guys that live in primitive lands like Canada and Kansas!
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
Grand Villain
Banned

Quote:
About 300-400 where I live for a house down-town(Upper Michigan). My cousin lives on the coast of Florida in a 10 by 12 apartment right by the beach. I shlt you not he pays 1200 a month for that son of a gun. it has enough room for him to sleep and eat in and thats about it. Try asking anyone from southern Florida and i bet they will tell you its insane. Not to get off topic but my 250 grandouse would be worth close to about 500 grand in the Miami - Ft lauderdale Area.

I feel bad for individuals who live in these areas. Their format or set-up is designed to allow the wealthy to live comfortably, while the less fortunate are forced to live in very low housing developments, and in urban areas, high rising project building. Look at Prince George county for example (DC). If you're making anything less than $35,000 a year, you're living in a project building.

I live in Winston-Salem NC, population around 200,000, and housing cost here is average. Forsyth County (where I live) is the most expensive within the entire state of North Carolina, but looking on the grand scale of things, it's nothing in comparison with the more densely populated regions of the US. Rent in Winston-Salem could run anywhere from $350 to upwards of $1,400 for a downtown luxury high-rise.
Grand Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

Adam how much is you're salary a year?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
adamcz
Bucks fan

Don't worry about it.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #12
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

I was afraid that was to personal . Maybe i will put a disclaimer on my post next time.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #13
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Default re:

$400 a month for a run down one bedrooom near Union Square in Manhattan.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #14
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
$400 a month for a run down one bedrooom near Union Square in Manhattan.

No way. Are you getting aid from your school for dorming or something?
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

@dont worry about it. like a kid getting snubbed for an autograph.

FT Lauderdale houses are insane and rising. My friends do real estate down there, plus i had a boss who still does real estate down there. Some nice homes but certain areas the homes while are good arent worth the money imo.

My rent = duties. Take out the trash, clean the bathroom, bring in the groceries, change the cat litter and thats it. Crib looks like a Weekend from Bernies.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: