Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default Misconceptions about the Catholic Church

as a catholic, it irritates me that many people have preconceived notions and misconceptions about the catholic church and some of our teachings.

here are a few:
  • catholics arent christians
  • catholics worship the virgin mary
  • priests forgive sins
  • catholics worship idols (because we have statues of the saints in many of our churches)
  • all priests are child molestors
  • the catholic church is the whore of babylon
i volunteer in the county jail and one state prison and the conflict between catholics and other christians is most pronounced there; but is just an exaggertion of society at large

at times, it feels like a form of religious bigotry. some people feel free to bash catholics in ways that they would never do to other faiths.

have you encountered any of these things?

do you have questions regarding the catholic church that perhaps have been misinterpreted by others?
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

Default Re: Misconceptions about the Catholic Church

I'm catholic but i am by no means a religious man.

I think there are misconceptions about every religion and this is why it is the source of all conflict in the world.

I know its off topic but i think all religion is Bogus.

There are what 4 main religions?
Christianity
Judaism
Bhuddism
Hinduism

With a variety of less popular religions

Each has different beliefs about afterlife, creation and so forth.

The most devout followers dedicate their whole life to religion and in doing so compromise their enjoyment. Assuming that there is 1 religion that is "correct" and their beliefs are true this means that all other religions are wrong and followers are essentially waisting their time.

Now the constraints of Christianity arent that bad but if i were Bhuddist, whom aren't allowed to sleep on a comfortable bed, dance, lie, drink alcohol ect ect and spent my whole life adhering to these guidelines only to die and realise its a load of crap and "Nirvana" is a myth then you've just wasted a life.

The stories of creation and other "important stuff" vary so much that its hard to believe any of them are remotely close to what has happened and how humans have come to be.

Science has categorically proven that Christianities version of creation is false.

Also, the laws stipulated by these religions have become obsolete. For instance is it really feasible nowadays to expect people not to drink alcohol, have sex before marriage, *********e ect its not. Every thing bar religion adjusts to suit current expectations why is religion exempt?

I'm gonna go on because religion angers me!

There are so many contradictions as well...We're supposed to love thy neighbour...but if they're gay throw them to the wolves?

Murder is a sin...But we're supposed to turn the other cheek...its bogus!

Believe me i want something to believe...But i need a reason to believe.

Last edited by Run&Gun=Fun : 06-30-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun=Fun
I'm catholic but i am by no means a religious man.

I think there are misconceptions about every religion and this is why it is the source of all conflict in the world.

I know its off topic but i think all religion is Bogus.

There are what 4 main religions?
Christianity
Judaism
Bhuddism
Hinduism

With a variety of less popular religions

Each has different beliefs about afterlife, creation and so forth.

The most devout followers dedicate their whole life to religion and in doing so compromise their enjoyment. Assuming that there is 1 religion that is "correct" and their beliefs are true this means that all other religions are wrong and followers are essentially waisting their time.

Now the constraints of Christianity arent that bad but if i were Bhuddist, whom aren't allowed to sleep on a comfortable bed, dance, lie, drink alcohol ect ect and spent my whole life adhering to these guidelines only to die and realise its a load of crap and "Nirvana" is a myth then you've just wasted a life.

The stories of creation and other "important stuff" vary so much that its hard to believe any of them are remotely close to what has happened and how humans have come to be.

Science has categorically proven that Christianities version of creation is false.

Also, the laws stipulated by these religions have become obsolete. For instance is it really feasible nowadays to expect people not to drink alcohol, have sex before marriage, *********e ect its not. Every thing bar religion adjusts to suit current expectations why is religion exempt?

I'm gonna go on because religion angers me!

There are so many contradictions as well...We're supposed to love thy neighbour...but if they're gay throw them to the wolves?

Murder is a sin...But we're supposed to turn the other cheek...its bogus!

Believe me i want something to believe...But i need a reason to believe.

religion, at its best, helps us to live well here and now. in the past, christianity put too much emphasis on "other-worldly" focus of heaven but current theological thought sees the Kingdom of God much differently now.

how we live in the present with the various values and benefits of faith/God/community, helps us become human and live life well

love, hope, faith, justice, forgiveness, respect, life, mystery are all areas that good religion teach

unfortunately, not all followers of the various religions, catholics included, teach these things well

when control issues and power dynamics do not serve God, religion and faith gets compromised

also,

the scriptures answer the "why" questions because they exist as record of faith experiences

science answers the "what" and "how" questions-- such as creation and the physical world
Old 06-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

^^You forgot Islam, it's the second largest religion in the world.

I was rasied Catholic but I never understood the whole Christian vs. Catholic thing. If both accept Christ as savior, what the hell is there to fight aboout? A few minor details? Who cares, if they both accept Christ shouldn't they be brothers instead of enemies? Talk about hypocrisy.

One on my main issues with religion is the ignorance that it causes. Here are 2 quotes from Christian's Fred Phelps and Jerry Falwell respectively:

Quote:
"Not only is homosexuality a sin, but anyone who supports f@gs is just as guilty as they are. You are both worthy of death."

Quote:
It appears that America's anti-Biblical feminist movement is at last dying, thank God, and is possibly being replaced by a Christ-centered men's movement which may become the foundation for a desperately needed national spiritual awakening.

Not to mention the ignorance that the Bible creates. Man living with dinosaurs, the universe was created in 6 days, the universe is only 6,000 years old, etc.

My favorite quote regarding Bible ignorance is by Sam Harris:

Quote:
“Despite a full century of scientific insights attesting to the antiquity of the earth, more than half of our neighbors believe that the entire cosmos was created six thousand years ago. This is, incidentally, about a thousand years after the Sumerians invented glue.”

No offense intended RBP, I also am fully aware that religion does many great things for its people, but IMO, the doctorines need to change. The Bible cannot be preached as 100% fact when it has repeatedly been proven incorrect.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

And more questions I never understood. How come God only has one son? Can he not have any more? Why wouldn't he send a few more down to save people from different regions/religions around the world rather than consciously letting them go to hell? Makes no sense.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
^^You forgot Islam, it's the second largest religion in the world.

I was rasied Catholic but I never understood the whole Christian vs. Catholic thing. If both accept Christ as savior, what the hell is there to fight aboout? A few minor details? Who cares, if they both accept Christ shouldn't they be brothers instead of enemies? Talk about hypocrisy.

One on my main issues with religion is the ignorance that it causes. Here are 2 quotes from Christian's Fred Phelps and Jerry Falwell respectively:

Not to mention the ignorance that the Bible creates. Man living with dinosaurs, the universe was created in 6 days, the universe is only 6,000 years old, etc.

My favorite quote regarding Bible ignorance is by Sam Harris:

No offense intended RBP, I also am fully aware that religion does many great things for its people, but IMO, the doctorines need to change. The Bible cannot be preached as 100% fact when it has repeatedly been proven incorrect.

from previous posts, you know that i do not subscribe to literal biblical interpretations.

i think that is a strength of the catholic church in embracing the intellectual tradition and the development of theological thought with the scriptures as an important source that needs to be incorporated and considered but not the only source of revelation

it is all in the interpretation
Old 06-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Hawker
Banned

people also believe catholics pray/worship saints but that isnt true as well.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
people also believe catholics pray/worship saints but that isnt true as well.

in part it is because people see others kneeling down in front of the statues and praying; it would be a natural surface conclusion

and that is not to say that some people probably do think more highly of mary than they should. i think this is mostly a cultural issue however

we as catholics beleive that the saints intercede (pray) for us and we ask them to pray for us
Old 07-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
Hawker
Banned

Default Re: saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
in part it is because people see others kneeling down in front of the statues and praying; it would be a natural surface conclusion

and that is not to say that some people probably do think more highly of mary than they should. i think this is mostly a cultural issue however

we as catholics beleive that the saints intercede (pray) for us and we ask them to pray for us

ya, I had an argument with some catholic girl that doesnt know what she's talking about and had to get info from her friend to continue arguing with me.

They said that "praying" and "asking" are two completely different things which is bogus. She said, "we ask them for intercession not pray to them for intercession."

It was me against 3 or 4 people and I stood my ground pretty damn well.

They dont necessarily, "worship" them but they do pray to them.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:00 AM   #10
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Default Re: saints

Sam Harris is a douche bag. So is Richard Dawkins. They both have a point, but I find it hard to take them seriously when they speak broadly as if religion is the sole cause for all hardships in life. Yes, get rid of religion and there will no longer be any racial or economic tensions among people.. right? That's all religion's fault? No one will want to steal someone else's land? Ever again?

I find it comical that Richard Dawkins says that people don't need to be frightened by an idea like God to do the right thing. People will simply do things because they are right, not because they have to fear punishment. Well, tell that to all the people downloading MP3s and movies off the Internet. You think 95% fo those same people would go into a store and steal a movie? Nope.

Sam Harris criticizes religious moderate for providing a veil of security for extremists. Personally, I think Sam Harris provides safe harbor for violent people named "Sam" because he's non-violent.. but other Sams might be violent! You might as well have criticized every single person in the Detroit/Indiana auidience during the brawl for providing a safe haven for 1 reckless fan.

If it weren't for the religious procreating, there'd probably be no such thing as the human race. Do you think atheists will proudly lay down their lives for freedom? Just curious. Dawkins suggest people spend more time enjoying their life on Earth (that could be taken negatively or positively), so what is the likelihood that an atheist would proudly die for his country knowing it's his only chance to enjoy the fruits of his works?

I should note that I'm somewhat of an agnostic. I have no problem with much of what Dawkins or Harris say. But I think on these points, they're flat out wrong and they've overstepping their ground.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:10 AM   #11
mid80sjordan
High School JV MVP

Get Off Of Jesus' D.ick Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mid80sjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:22 AM   #12
Walton_04
Decent playground baller

The biggest mistake people make about religion is to judge the religion based on the people who practice it. Religious or not, all people are human beings with flaws. People should judge the standard, not the people who fail to measure up to it.

Back to the topic at hand. I was raised Catholic. The only flaw I see in the catholic church is the fact that priests are not allowed to marry.

God never commanded priests to not marry. The apostle Paul suggested that it is better not to marry, but he didn't mean it as a commandment; he just thought it would make life easier for a servant of God to not have a wife and church to worry about.
Walton_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 AM   #13
mid80sjordan
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walton_04
The biggest mistake people make about religion is to judge the religion based on the people who practice it. Religious or not, all people are human beings with flaws. People should judge the standard, not the people who fail to measure up to it.

Back to the topic at hand. I was raised Catholic. The only flaw I see in the catholic church is the fact that priests are not allowed to marry.

God never commanded priests to not marry. The apostle Paul suggested that it is better not to marry, but he didn't mean it as a commandment; he just thought it would make life easier for a servant of God to not have a wife and church to worry about.
word, he told you?
mid80sjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:05 AM   #14
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default critical thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Sam Harris is a douche bag. So is Richard Dawkins. They both have a point, but I find it hard to take them seriously when they speak broadly as if religion is the sole cause for all hardships in life. Yes, get rid of religion and there will no longer be any racial or economic tensions among people.. right? That's all religion's fault? No one will want to steal someone else's land? Ever again?

I find it comical that Richard Dawkins says that people don't need to be frightened by an idea like God to do the right thing. People will simply do things because they are right, not because they have to fear punishment. Well, tell that to all the people downloading MP3s and movies off the Internet. You think 95% fo those same people would go into a store and steal a movie? Nope.

Sam Harris criticizes religious moderate for providing a veil of security for extremists. Personally, I think Sam Harris provides safe harbor for violent people named "Sam" because he's non-violent.. but other Sams might be violent! You might as well have criticized every single person in the Detroit/Indiana auidience during the brawl for providing a safe haven for 1 reckless fan.

If it weren't for the religious procreating, there'd probably be no such thing as the human race. Do you think atheists will proudly lay down their lives for freedom? Just curious. Dawkins suggest people spend more time enjoying their life on Earth (that could be taken negatively or positively), so what is the likelihood that an atheist would proudly die for his country knowing it's his only chance to enjoy the fruits of his works?

I should note that I'm somewhat of an agnostic. I have no problem with much of what Dawkins or Harris say. But I think on these points, they're flat out wrong and they've overstepping their ground.

thanks reppy!

good to see that common sense still exists...

i wish more people would look at the specific issues and arguments instead of immediately marginalizing valid points because of an already made conclusion
Old 07-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #15
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

Default Re: critical thinking

I have never read anything about Buddhists not being allowed to sleep in a comfortable bed or dance, and all religions and even many who aren't religious say not to lie.
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: