Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #16
gb8
Extra Cheese
 
gb8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Everywhere You Wanna Be
Posts: 2,456
gb8 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Misconceptions about the Catholic Church

Dawkins does talk a lot of sense in many ways but i see he does seem to over step the mark somewhat in some of his ramblings. The problem with relegion is that there is no real reason as to why the doctrine have any validity at all. There are other books out there with moral value then the biblical scripture or even that of the great eastern relegions. Relegion was created by man to give meaning to his otherwise meaningless life and as such does have merit in the socialising process. However modern relegious institutions are inherently devisive and this is the main problem with relegion and is the reason why relegion can be the easy option as the cause of a lot of world problems. Islam, Christianity and judaism are all absolutist relegions which means they offer the one and only route to salvation according to their doctrine and as such cause more division by giving a false sense morality to the follower. And contradictory to common belief what we view to be humane and morally right now differs greatly from a lot of the writings in the quran and the bible or atleast it should as no matter how one triesb to downplay some of the more violent and sinister parts of these "holy" books the fact remains they do endorse actions which by todays standards are inhumane and border on torture and murder.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #17
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,513
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Misconceptions about the Catholic Church

Quote:
catholics worship the virgin mary
priests forgive sins
catholics worship idols (because we have statues of the saints in many of our churches)
all priests are child molestors
the catholic church is the whore of babylon

Im sorry, but I was a catholic and they DO worship Mary and the idols, and some priest(not all) are molestors and alot of the things that are wrong in christianity have to do with the catholic church... I am not saying this as disrespect to devout catholics because I have the upmost respect for anyone who follows their religion and takes it very seriously...Any person who can give themselves the way seriously relgious people do is to be respected for that alone...

Catholic church is based on alot of things that stray from the bible and from God and for me, even as a child it was disturbing. I always had doubts about the the nature of confession as well as many of the sacraments.

I will go into more depth if anyone asks...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #18
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS
 
RainierBeachPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 6,877
RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Misconceptions about the Catholic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
Dawkins does talk a lot of sense in many ways but i see he does seem to over step the mark somewhat in some of his ramblings. The problem with relegion is that there is no real reason as to why the doctrine have any validity at all. There are other books out there with moral value then the biblical scripture or even that of the great eastern relegions. Relegion was created by man to give meaning to his otherwise meaningless life and as such does have merit in the socialising process. However modern relegious institutions are inherently devisive and this is the main problem with relegion and is the reason why relegion can be the easy option as the cause of a lot of world problems. Islam, Christianity and judaism are all absolutist relegions which means they offer the one and only route to salvation according to their doctrine and as such cause more division by giving a false sense morality to the follower. And contradictory to common belief what we view to be humane and morally right now differs greatly from a lot of the writings in the quran and the bible or atleast it should as no matter how one triesb to downplay some of the more violent and sinister parts of these "holy" books the fact remains they do endorse actions which by todays standards are inhumane and border on torture and murder.

this argues my point about primary sources and interpretation

if the bible is the only point of reference and the mode of interpretation is literal, then that is a recipe for a very narrow worldview

imo, that is what fundamentalism within islam is suffering from right now. these teaching can validate the agenda of militant terrorists with this type of backing
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #19
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS
 
RainierBeachPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 6,877
RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Misconceptions about the Catholic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Im sorry, but I was a catholic and they DO worship Mary and the idols, and some priest(not all) are molestors and alot of the things that are wrong in christianity have to do with the catholic church... I am not saying this as disrespect to devout catholics because I have the upmost respect for anyone who follows their religion and takes it very seriously...Any person who can give themselves the way seriously relgious people do is to be respected for that alone...

Catholic church is based on alot of things that stray from the bible and from God and for me, even as a child it was disturbing. I always had doubts about the the nature of confession as well as many of the sacraments.

I will go into more depth if anyone asks...

sheed

i appreciate your honesty; i will try to post something a little later in response
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #20
gb8
Extra Cheese
 
gb8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Everywhere You Wanna Be
Posts: 2,456
gb8 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Misconceptions about the Catholic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
this argues my point about primary sources and interpretation

if the bible is the only point of reference and the mode of interpretation is literal, then that is a recipe for a very narrow worldview

imo, that is what fundamentalism within islam is suffering from right now. these teaching can validate the agenda of militant terrorists with this type of backing

I would argue though that the fact that these fascets exist in these books regardless of context actually devalue them as books which have any real worth apart from the basic tennants of control. Why should these boks be given credence over any other which explore better ways of organising society.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #21
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS
 
RainierBeachPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 6,877
RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Misconceptions about Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Im sorry, but I was a catholic and they DO worship Mary and the idols, and some priest(not all) are molestors and alot of the things that are wrong in christianity have to do with the catholic church... I am not saying this as disrespect to devout catholics because I have the upmost respect for anyone who follows their religion and takes it very seriously...Any person who can give themselves the way seriously relgious people do is to be respected for that alone...

Catholic church is based on alot of things that stray from the bible and from God and for me, even as a child it was disturbing. I always had doubts about the the nature of confession as well as many of the sacraments.

I will go into more depth if anyone asks...

the church teaches:

"The Church's devotion to the Blessed Virgin is intrinsic to Christian worship." The Church rightly honors "the Blessed Virgin with special devotion. From the most ancient times the Blessed Virgin has been honored with the title of ‘Mother of God,' to whose protection the faithful fly in all their dangers and needs. . . . This very special devotion . . . differs essentially from the adoration which is given to the incarnate Word and equally to the Father and the Holy Spirit, and greatly fosters this adoration." The liturgical feasts dedicated to the Mother of God and Marian prayer, such as the rosary, an "epitome of the whole Gospel," express this devotion to the Virgin Mary.

(catholic catechism #971)


now, not all catholics will live this out; but this is what most of us know as what the church teaches regarding mary


mary receives special honor because she exemplified what it means to do God's will and because it was her "yes" to this will that enabled Jesus to be born into the world
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #22
apriorist
High School Starter
 
apriorist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 776
apriorist has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy

I find it comical that Richard Dawkins says that people don't need to be frightened by an idea like God to do the right thing. People will simply do things because they are right, not because they have to fear punishment. Well, tell that to all the people downloading MP3s and movies off the Internet. You think 95% fo those same people would go into a store and steal a movie? Nope.

Dawkins' main problem here is that, without God, there is no context for "right" and "wrong" so you can't just say people will do the "right" thing. 'Right' in what sense? If there is no God, then there are no objective morals, in fact, morals would only have meaning in terms of power and pragmatism.
apriorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #23
reppy
Apparently likes anime
 
reppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,185
reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriorist
Dawkins' main problem here is that, without God, there is no context for "right" and "wrong" so you can't just say people will do the "right" thing. 'Right' in what sense? If there is no God, then there are no objective morals, in fact, morals would only have meaning in terms of power and pragmatism.

I think human empathy and thought can do a lot in terms of determining "right" or "wrong". If you do something that seriously harms someone physically, emotionally or their ability to provide for themselves, then it's probably "wrong".

Some morals are relative to their time. Paris Hilton would have been stoned to death a few hundred years ago. Or burned as a witch. Maybe not such a bad thing, but you know..
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #24
apriorist
High School Starter
 
apriorist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 776
apriorist has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
I think human empathy and thought can do a lot in terms of determining "right" or "wrong". If you do something that seriously harms someone physically, emotionally or their ability to provide for themselves, then it's probably "wrong".

Some morals are relative to their time. Paris Hilton would have been stoned to death a few hundred years ago. Or burned as a witch. Maybe not such a bad thing, but you know..

Different people have different levels of empathy and aggression. Little kids hit each other without seeing their parents do it or without seeing it on TV. Morals are still subjective (is abortion 'immoral'? How about the death penalty?) without God.
apriorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #25
bomber
Good college starter
 
bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,650
bomber has decent reputationbomber has decent reputation
Default Re: Misconceptions about the Catholic Church

Quote:
* catholics arent christians
* catholics worship the virgin mary
* priests forgive sins
* catholics worship idols (because we have statues of the saints in many of our churches)
* all priests are child molestors
* the catholic church is the whore of babylon

1. If you believe #1 you are ignorant
2. same
3. Never heard this before
4. This is generally true
5. WHAT THE Fack?
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:00 PM   #26
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS
 
RainierBeachPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 6,877
RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default interpretation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
I would argue though that the fact that these fascets exist in these books regardless of context actually devalue them as books which have any real worth apart from the basic tennants of control. Why should these boks be given credence over any other which explore better ways of organising society.

they might be devalued by many; but for many, it is what gives direction to our lives.

the bible is still a best seller; people believe the words in the koran

so the question becomes: is this a good interpretation or false/narrrow interpretation?

Last edited by RainierBeachPoet : 07-02-2007 at 07:41 PM.
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #27
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Misconceptions about the Catholic Church

I couldn't be bothered to read this whole thread, because I'm agnostic and I don't really believe in God most of the time, but I grew up on this crap, going to private schools and you're wrong about something I want to point out.

Catholics ARE Christians. Christan = you believe in Christ.

The difference YOU are thinking of, is Catholic vs. Protestant, which started with Martin Luther nailing that piece of paper to some church door in Germany.

Protestant is pretty much any Christian who isn't Catholic.

I grew up Lutheran and we had to study this crap. 9 years of my life wasted.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #28
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts
 
skillswithaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,219
skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Misconceptions about the Catholic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I couldn't be bothered to read this whole thread, because I'm agnostic and I don't really believe in God most of the time, but I grew up on this crap, going to private schools and you're wrong about something I want to point out.

Catholics ARE Christians. Christan = you believe in Christ.

The difference YOU are thinking of, is Catholic vs. Protestant, which started with Martin Luther nailing that piece of paper to some church door in Germany.

Protestant is pretty much any Christian who isn't Catholic.

I grew up Lutheran and we had to study this crap. 9 years of my life wasted.

Mathius
uhhh duh...notice the thread title genius. Catholics not being Christians is a misconception.
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #29
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Misconceptions about the Catholic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillswithaz
uhhh duh...notice the thread title genius. Catholics not being Christians is a misconception.

I read it wrong, I thought he was listing truths about misconceptions.

Damn, that's twice today I read something wrong and ****ed up a thread. I'm taking the rest of the night off.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #30
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS
 
RainierBeachPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 6,877
RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Misconceptions about mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I read it wrong, I thought he was listing truths about misconceptions.

Damn, that's twice today I read something wrong and ****ed up a thread. I'm taking the rest of the night off.

Mathius

ahh m, dont sweat it

this is an opportunity for us christians to show how forgiving we can be!!!
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:02 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy