Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Default Celtics won't make playoffs? Paul Pierce Sucks?

So let me tell you guys what happened... I just got back from the barber shop, and the fellas were, of course, talking about the NBA draft.

When I had arrived this morining, an older gentleman was in the process of bashing Paul Pierce. I sat down, turned my ipod on, and started navigating to the games in order to pass the wait playing sudoku or parachute, but I never quite made it... In that short space of time, the incessant bashing of Pierce had already pissed me off to the point where I felt I had to speak up and challenge this stranger on some of the foolishness he was speaking. So that's what I did.

So easing my way into the conversation, I claimed that Paul Pierce wasn't nearly as poor a player as he seemed to think, and that there are only three swingmen in the league right now who I'd definitely take over him: D. Wade, Lebron and Bryant... any maybe 2 or so who were debatable... So he tried to clown me on that, talking about how Pierce doesn't make good decisions on the court and some other foolishness that didn't make any sense. I said that if one were to simply look at the numbers, you'd see how valuable a player Pierce was... I hit him with my favorite stat... the Celts' 2-22 record without Pierce at one point this year... he wasn't trying to listen to that... I ran down Pierce's stats from the last few season... he was still hating...

Then he went on to say that the Celtics weren't going to make the playoffs next year. Now that really got me interested, so instead of starting a "yes they will, no they won't argument" I simply asked him if he could name 8 teams who would make the playoffs over the Celts... He claimed that he didn't have to name 8 teams... that he just knew it... I suspected that he couldn't even name 8 teams out east, less 8 that would be better than the Celts, so I simply reiterated my stance that I think the Celts will make the playoffs and get past the first round next year with this current roster... May even get past the second round... He was still hating... so I let the conversation die down...

So now I'm asking you guys... Am I crazy to think that the Celts are at least a top 8 team out East right now with the addition of Ray Allen. I know Ray Allen is getting old... believe me, I've heard all of the arguments... but do they suck so much that Paul Pierce/Ray Allen/Al Jefferson can't get them a playoff berth... has the East become that good overnight?

Secondly... am I overrating Pierce to any great extent... Does he really suck? Is he no longer a valuable player?

Thirdly... should I just stop talking to old people at the barber shop, and should I get more games on my iPod to keep me from doing so?

Last edited by MaxFly : 06-30-2007 at 12:47 PM.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
bomber
Good college starter

Default Re: Celtics won't make playoffs? Paul Pierce Sucks?

No your right on, I predict they get to the second round with this current roster next year.

The MLE will be crucial this offseason.
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Paul Pierce is awesome.

Ray Allen is really good. SO is Big Al. They will have 3 of the best 4 players on the court against every team in the East. Should get past the second round depending on Coaching, which could be disastrous.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

to make the second round would mean (division winner or not) the Celtics have to beat one of the incumbent Atlantic division "powers" or one of the Central division powers.

let's see how this team performs in the regular season first before jumping to that conclusion
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
to make the second round would mean (division winner or not) the Celtics have to beat one of the incumbent Atlantic division "powers" or one of the Central division powers.

let's see how this team performs in the regular season first before jumping to that conclusion

I think the Celts would be able to beat out the Raptors for the Atlantic Division title and a top 4 seed. It would be best to adopt a wait and see stance, but we're just speculating right now. Any number of things can happen that can change the Eastern Conference landscape.

Last edited by MaxFly : 06-30-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
MMM
877-954-1893

Anyone who says somethign like Paul Pierce sucks is not worth listening too, as for whether or not we are a playoff team I wont comment on but i think it is probable just don't write anything in stone yet.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
I think the Celts would be able to beat out the Raptors for the Atlantic Division title and a top 4 seed.

it is highly possible. my point is not saying the Celtics will be a hanger on the 8th seed, but rather it is possible they even get a higher seed than that... provided we see early evidence that this new squad can be able to play at a high level... so for that... we must wait for the regular season
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
SuperboyXX0018
Banned

The Knicks will compete for the Atlantic Division title aswell. On paper we have the best team.
SuperboyXX0018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperboyXX0018
The Knicks will compete for the Atlantic Division title aswell. On paper we have the best team.
Toilet paper?
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #10
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

Not with Jamal Crawful. Your team won't compete with a horrible SG, Jamal Crawful ala Larry Hughes.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #11
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Toilet paper?

Old 06-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Problem is the PG situation and Doc. Doc could destroy this team.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #13
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

guy in the barbarshop was an idiot. pierce is SO underrated after the last two poor seasons for the celts. he scores, creates, rebounds, gets to the line, hits big shots, has range, can defend (did for jim obrien anyway), and is a good teammate. the only real knocks on him are pure athleticism and leadership, and we'll let gerald and ray handle those issues.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #14
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:

they might compete we really just have to wait and see how it plays out next season i know it sounds boring but it is the truth. As for the best team on paper in the division i'm not sure about that.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #15
SJellen
I hit open 5-footers

out of sight out of mind.
if allen and peirce are healthy, and gomes and jefferson keep improving then watch out. but if not - they have alot of pieces to trade at the deadline.
SJellen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: