Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Pyro
Banned

Pyro has an OK reputation so far
Thumbs up Mike Conley Jr. = Tony Parker

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=323549

Neither Kirk Hinrich nor Ben Gordon is necessarily a true point guard, but it’s not likely the Bulls would look to fill that position with the No. 9 pick of the June 28 NBA draft.

Ohio State freshman Mike Conley Jr. didn’t let that apparent lack of need deter him on Saturday when he performed a solo workout at the Berto Center.

“I love the city of Chicago, love the Bulls,” Conley said. “I don’t assume anything. I have no idea where I’m going to get picked. So I’m taking all precautions. I’m working out for teams that I feel I could have a good chance of being drafted.

“After watching (the Bulls) I noticed their style of play is really up and down, really guard-oriented. Their guards do a lot of work, they get their teammates involved a lot and are very unselfish. I like that about the team.”

The 6-foot-1 Conley’s draft status is tough to predict. He could go as high as No. 3 to Atlanta or still be around when the Bulls select ninth. Every team from 3 to 7 can list point guard as a potential need.

Asked to compare himself to another player. Conley chose the recently named MVP of the NBA Finals.

“I’d probably have to say right now Tony Parker is the best comparison,” he said. “Pretty much the ability to penetrate, get into the lane at will, create plays offensively by himself. I feel like I do a lot of similar things.”

If Conley does last until the ninth pick or beyond, one rumor has Portland interested in trading for another first-rounder so it can match Conley with center Greg Oden. Those two players are good friends and were teammates in high school, college and AAU.

“That would be wonderful to play with him again at the next level, but it’s not necessarily a goal,” Conley said. “We understand, coming to this level, we might have to split up. That’s the risk we have to take by going to the NBA, so we weren’t planning on playing together again.”

Technically, Conley hasn’t signed with an agent. But both he and Oden will be represented by Conley’s dad, Mike, who came along for the trip to the Berto Center.

Mike Conley Sr. is the former Olympic triple jumper who won a gold medal in 1992. He grew up in Chicago and attended Luther South High School, but now lives in Indianapolis.

Decision due for draft: Underclassmen who have not signed with an agent have until Monday to pull out of the NBA draft and return to college. Among the top prospects yet to announce a decision are centers Spencer Hawes and Jason Smith.

Both players interest the Bulls, but neither is expected to pull out of the draft. Georgetown’s Jeff Green, a potential top-10 pick, is reportedly undecided.

Chandler update: The official reason for DePaul’s Wilson Chandler skipping a workout with the Bulls this week was an ankle injury, not a shoulder injury, as was written here.

One league source suggested the reason Chandler has stopped working out for teams is he expects to be chosen by New York with the 23rd pick, which would be an eye-opener. Most projections have the 6-8 forward going in the second round.

Last edited by Pyro : 06-17-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Pyro
Banned

Pyro has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Mike Conley Jr. = Tony Parker

bump
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

JohnnyBravo5 has an OK reputation so far

And Tony Parker w/o Tim Duncan=Carlos Arroyo
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Conley Jr = Chris Paul
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo5

Tony Parker has performed well when Tim was M.I.A
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

No, definitely not. Conley is the player who would love to pass the ball to the inside scorers frequently, while Parker is not a typical PG at all with so little assists per game.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Conley averaged 6 assists on a team that scores 70 ppg.
Tony Parker averaged 5.5 assists on a team that scores 98 ppg.

I would say Conley's more of a playmaker. I wouldn't put the Chris Paul tag like the other guy put on him, but he's not far off.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Tony Parker has performed well when Tim was M.I.A

That is the same garbage we hear about Conley without Greg Oden, but we both know that is nonsense.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

Tony Parker without Tim Duncan is still better then Arroyo.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
allball
National High School Star

allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation

Quote:

so by that you are saying Carlos Arroyo could start for the Spurs and be as good as Parker. speed kills bro.

allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #11
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

I think that Conley is more a pass first player than Parker.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
so by that you are saying Carlos Arroyo could start for the Spurs and be as good as Parker. speed kills bro.

Y'all know what I mean, I guess a more accurate comparison is Barbosa. The point is that he is in a fortunate position to be with Duncan and Manu, the threat of which allows him to dribble penetrate and get open jumpshots. If Barbosa was on the Spurs he'd do similar things
Old 06-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
allball
National High School Star

allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation

Quote:
Y'all know what I mean, I guess a more accurate comparison is Barbosa. The point is that he is in a fortunate position to be with Duncan and Manu, the threat of which allows him to dribble penetrate and get open jumpshots. If Barbosa was on the Spurs he'd do similar things

Barbosa has similar speed but people underestimate Parker's awareness and decision making which I think Barbosa lacks.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
HoopNightmare
I brick open layups

HoopNightmare has an OK reputation so far

Somebody Else you can compare to Tony Parker.

Jason Castro
NBA Position: Point guard
HT: 5’10
WT: 165
College Team: Philippine Christian University
Club Team: HARBOUR CENTRE BATANG PIER (PBL Philippines)
NBA Comparison: Tony Parker

Jason Castro is a cat like quick point guard who can get to the bucket and finish at will. He is a proven winner and his efficiency rating is second to none in the PBL.

MVP of the Philippine Basketball League Silver Cup 2006
MVP of PBL Unity Cup 2007
First Team Silver Cup ALL-PBL 2006
First Team Unity Cup ALL-PBL 2007
2006 SEABA Club championship (Jakarta Indonesia)
2006 PBL Silver Cup finalist
2007 PBL Unity Cup Champion
HoopNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #15
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

I think conley has alot of upside.He probably wont be able to come in and start right away.But by his second year he will be putting up 13ppg and 6.5 apg and probably 2spg.He will be a good player maybe not an allstar but alot of players arent picked as all stars but we know they play like one.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: