Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 07-31-2006, 02:23 PM   #16
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Kidd made kmart look better than he really was. Guy has no outside shot at all, ,mostly put backs. And now with the knee injury and that salary. Just say no to kmart.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #17
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

Denver doesn't need another C and we don't need another PF.

No possible way this goes down.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #18
Finn T-Mac
Great young streetballer

[quote=Silent Mav]Kidd made kmart look better than he really was. Guy has no outside shot at all, ,mostly put backs. QUOTE]

Kmart has the range to shoot, have you seen any of those old nets games. But i agree with the thing that kmart needs a good pg to be the best he can be. I've always loved the man's game as a nets member, but it would do good for him and for the mavs to get him. The salary is just another thing. (remember he was an all-star)

Finn T-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #19
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

And I'll stick to my point that he wouldn't have been an All-Star without Kidd. Yeah, I've seen him hit the occasional ( very occasional ) outside shot. But to say he has range is stretching it a bit. He plays the same position as Dirk. It makes no sense to pay that much to a backup. He seems to be the type that would be a clubhouse problem if he didn't get the minutes. Just look at last year. I know this is just for fun, and it's fun to go what if. But even in the what if world, I'd prefer not to have him.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:27 PM   #20
Finn T-Mac
Great young streetballer

Yeah, he plays same position as dirk, and he would never, at this point of his career, be a substitute. It would just be great to see how he plays under the coaching of avery, if they would find him a place on the starting linup.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #21
soog
I brick open layups

plays the same position as dirk; however, plays it very differently. He's much more physical. And you think we can't afford to lose what Dampier did for this team, kmart, even in the midst of his horrible year last year, avg'd comparable Rebs and Blks, while averaging more pts and more steals. we have 4 centers, more than enough bodies to throw at shaq, and he would do a better job than anyone of stopping amare or TD. I think he's worth the risk. If he doesn't work out then we exchanged one 6pt 6reb rediculous contract for another 6pt 6reb rediculous contract.

Also unless i have missed something, i thought denver only had Camby, Nene, and KMart under contract right now... well at least thats all they had last time i checked. Two for one big man isn't a bad trade for em.
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #22
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

Dampier has 40 million left on his deal.

Martin has 70 million.

We trade Damp, we only have 1 legit C and 3 PF's.

If the Nuggets trade Martin, they have 1 legit PF and 3 C's.

Makes ZERO sense for either team.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:47 PM   #23
Rapsfan4life
Great young streetballer

Your right, Why would Denver want Dampier?? Dallas shouldnt take a chance with Martin, they should keep their team together for another run
Rapsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #24
Finn T-Mac
Great young streetballer

Quote:
But i agree with the thing that kmart needs a good pg to be the best he can be. I've always loved the man's game as a nets member, but it would do good for him and for the mavs to get him

Quote:
Yeah, he plays same position as dirk, and he would never, at this point of his career, be a substitute. It would just be great to see how he plays under the coaching of avery, if they would find him a place on the starting linup.

I still have to say that Dallas might need player like K-Mart. KVH is rumored to leave to denver, so let him go, with dampier or somebody else. Don't get upset but I would say that k-mart would be the best one-on-one defender on the mavericks team. And the talk about long range shooting, remember the time when pf didn't need to pull up from 18-20 feet. Kenyon is a banger, he plays like the old pf used to, and get the job done. (Well maybe i'm just remembering the old nets days, but i believe avery would make him the player he was) And what comes to dampier, he's not the banger, he's big and strong, but that ain't always enough. So like i said before, if the mind is right and they get him a starting lineup spot...
Old 08-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #25
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

So you would start him at center just to find him a spot? And he may never be the player he was with the Nets. He would need to show he's close to his old form before even thinking about taking on that contract. He's too much of a question mark for the money. If the risk\reward was less ,maybe. Sorry, but quoting yourself didn't change my mind from the first time you said it. I appreciate the fact that you like him, stick up for a player you like. Just like my opinions on him are mine, I don't expect everyone to agree.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #26
Finn T-Mac
Great young streetballer

Yeah, this is just still speculating on the trade. And hey, k-mart might someday be the "old himself" but like my username gives little hint, nobody's better than t-mac. Hope the mavs do good next season.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #27
soog
I brick open layups

my argument for getting him is that (assuming his not injured all the time this year) his numbers, at worst, will be comparable to damps. He also would be able to do a better job against TD or Amare. And he will always be a better shooter than damp. And yes i would start him at C except for a few select cases.

He's more of a banger down low offensively, avg'd almost as many blocks and reb's last year as damp. He will always avg more points. He gives up 2 inches to damp and according to their listed weights, 20lbs. He's not that much smaller in reality.

So is it worth risking an overrated center who gets into foul trouble against any good post player and was signed for too much (i love damp, but he's not worth the money) for an athletic pf who has had injury and attidue problems, but has the potential to play at a very high level.

Yes it is a risk, but would we really be risking that much in dampier? and the money is a non-issue, we can match the salary in a trade, his contract isn't that much more than damps (40M to a multi-billionaire who is still making rediculous ammounts of money). Honestly he almost bought a hockey team, he can afford Kmart.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #28
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Yeah, he did a real good job against Duncan in the 2003 Finals. Duncan averaged 24,17,5,5. Tim almost had a quadruple double the final game. After calling out KVH the year before, he pulls a no-show in the final two games. Potential and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee. Is it enough potential to overcome the injury and attitude problems? Let me see him play at a high level without Kidd and in the west. And yes, Damp's not perfect but I'd rather have him to throw at Shaq than Kmart. Do you honestly think Kmart would've done better against Shaq?

It's not a matter of can you afford him. It's a matter of is it money well spent. And just for me, I need to see more from him before I'd consider spending the money. But then again it's not my money, nor my team. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Silent Mav : 08-04-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #29
soog
I brick open layups

Against the mavs Duncan avgs this year: 33.4ppg 12.0rpg 3.8apg 1.0spg 2.4bpg. And that is with him being 3 years older and having constant injuries. He made damp almost foul out every game. But i wont make too many excuses =P, lets say his increased point production, despite his age and injuries, makes this a comparable job of guarding him. How did damp respond on the other end? 3.9ppg 5.3ppg 0.1apg 0.29spg 1.57bpg. I will guarantee that kmart's numbers would be better than that. (**EDIT: Kmart avg'd 15ppg 10ppg 2asp 2spg 2bpg in that series) Despite Dampier's tremendously superior defense if he's only responding with 3.9pts and under 5.3 rebs, what good was his effort.

However, I am most focused on the foul issues. Damp was not quick enough on his feet to stay in front of duncan, thus he almost fouled out every game, and duncan shot as many free throws as dirk did in that series. This duncan is not the duncan of several years back, while still incredible, you make him work on the defensive end by making him guard an offensive threat, and you dont allow him to get to the free throw line by having someone quick enough to stay in front of him, and he wont put up those godly numbers.

Last edited by soog : 08-04-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:18 PM   #30
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Quote:
Despite Dampier's tremendously superior defense

Good one!

But you don't count on Damp for offense. Anything you get from him there is gravy. He doesn't get that many touches. The Nets needed Kmart's offense, therefore more touches and more points. Kmart won't get as many shots with the Mavs as he did the Nets. But Damp will never average as many points as Kmart regardless. Also Damp didn't even play starters minutes. So as a byproduct of that, the rebound numbers would be lower. And to be honest, the way Timmy was playing against us, I don't see Kmart slowing him down any.

We were able to get past the Spurs last year without Kmart. Again I ask, would Kmart get us past Shaq?

Last edited by Silent Mav : 08-04-2006 at 05:20 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: