Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Atlanta Hawks Forum

Atlanta Hawks Forum Atlanta Hawks message board - atlanta hawks fan forum

Old 07-01-2007, 04:55 AM   #1
Wrecwon
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Wrecwon has an OK reputation so far
Default ATLANTA HAWKS: Decisions, Decisions!

There is a lot on my mind about how the draft went. But thats another story, lets just take it from a Hawks perspective. Going into the draft, the Hawks needed a point guard and a center. When Al Horford was picked, I was in total shock. Don't get me wrong, the guy is probably the best forward in the draft...but the past four drafts, the Hawks have been picking up forwards and forwards only. Knight claims that the Hawks needed a versatile player who could play both forward and center positions. Com'on! You already have versatile players and they're not producing! HAWKS NEED A TRUE CENTER! My predictions were for Atlanta to pick up Yi Jianlian. Before anyone yells at me...think about it. Hawks desperately need a new center...sorry Big Z (u still the man)! Their last couple of games, Zaza has been putting up some impressive numbers but when it comes down to it, he's still considered a "decent 2nd option." Lorenzen Wright...HAH, don't make me laugh! He's not someone you can count on, even without his concussion. And Batista...hmmm...lol, the guy doesn't even play for the Hawks...he's a bench warmer.
Yi would have been the perfect candidate for the needed center position. There has been a lot of speculation and prediction about Yi and how he might surpass Yao. The guy is tall, young, and aggressive. What more can you ask for? Maybe the Hawks didn't do their homework on the guy and never acknowledged him as a consideration during the draft. Oh, they were probably busy designing their new uniforms, hoping that this "drastic" change will attract more people to come watch their games(which by the way, are very nice). But I strongly believe they missed out on something big. I'll tell you one thing, if Yi was picked the Hawks wouldn't have any more trouble trying to fill up their seats, thats for sure.
Now back to the point guard situation. I'm glad the Hawks didn't pick up Conley, the guy is a good distributer but he's not a shooter. The Hawks needed a guard that could pass the ball but also shoot whenever Joe gets double teamed. Acie Law was a good pick. So I commend the Hawks for that.
After their draft picks, the Hawks, surprisingly, are still not satisfied. The Hawks have 5 million left in their cap space and they are shopping. I'm sure all of you have heard about the 3-way trading rumor b/w the Hawks, Timberwolves (Garnett), and the Suns(Stoudemire). Hey, if Hawks somehow make the Stoudemire trade possible that would be awesome. But Hawks fans don't get your hopes up. Remember these are just rumors.
In my opinion, Chauncey Billups would be the best and realistic addition for the Hawks. As of July 1st, Billups will become an unrestricted free agent. However, Joe Dumars is confident that the Pistons will have no problems re-signing him back to the team. But if Billups doesn't sign, hopefully the Hawks can win him over...please god!

http://www.screamingsports.com/en/pu...x?b=391&u=1188
Wrecwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
csc30
Can barely lace up my sneakers

csc30 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: ATLANTA HAWKS: Decisions, Decisions!

Hey Man,
Rumor has it that Yi is nowhere near Yao when it comes to ability in the paint. I am glad we didn't take him because you really have no idea what he can bring . I like Horford, but I still think we have a lot of pieces on that team we can use to trade to complete our 07-08 roster.
csc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
selrahc
Local High School Star

selrahc has one of the lowest reputations on this boardselrahc has one of the lowest reputations on this boardselrahc has one of the lowest reputations on this boardselrahc has one of the lowest reputations on this boardselrahc has one of the lowest reputations on this boardselrahc has one of the lowest reputations on this boardselrahc has one of the lowest reputations on this board

yi isn't a center. hes more of a sf pf tweener
selrahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:52 AM   #4
T21
I brick open layups

T21 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecwon
There is a lot on my mind about how the draft went. But thats another story, lets just take it from a Hawks perspective. Going into the draft, the Hawks needed a point guard and a center. When Al Horford was picked, I was in total shock. Don't get me wrong, the guy is probably the best forward in the draft...but the past four drafts, the Hawks have been picking up forwards and forwards only. Knight claims that the Hawks needed a versatile player who could play both forward and center positions. Com'on! You already have versatile players and they're not producing! HAWKS NEED A TRUE CENTER! My predictions were for Atlanta to pick up Yi Jianlian. Before anyone yells at me...think about it. Hawks desperately need a new center...sorry Big Z (u still the man)! Their last couple of games, Zaza has been putting up some impressive numbers but when it comes down to it, he's still considered a "decent 2nd option." Lorenzen Wright...HAH, don't make me laugh! He's not someone you can count on, even without his concussion. And Batista...hmmm...lol, the guy doesn't even play for the Hawks...he's a bench warmer.
Yi would have been the perfect candidate for the needed center position. There has been a lot of speculation and prediction about Yi and how he might surpass Yao. The guy is tall, young, and aggressive. What more can you ask for? Maybe the Hawks didn't do their homework on the guy and never acknowledged him as a consideration during the draft. Oh, they were probably busy designing their new uniforms, hoping that this "drastic" change will attract more people to come watch their games(which by the way, are very nice). But I strongly believe they missed out on something big. I'll tell you one thing, if Yi was picked the Hawks wouldn't have any more trouble trying to fill up their seats, thats for sure.
Now back to the point guard situation. I'm glad the Hawks didn't pick up Conley, the guy is a good distributer but he's not a shooter. The Hawks needed a guard that could pass the ball but also shoot whenever Joe gets double teamed. Acie Law was a good pick. So I commend the Hawks for that.
After their draft picks, the Hawks, surprisingly, are still not satisfied. The Hawks have 5 million left in their cap space and they are shopping. I'm sure all of you have heard about the 3-way trading rumor b/w the Hawks, Timberwolves (Garnett), and the Suns(Stoudemire). Hey, if Hawks somehow make the Stoudemire trade possible that would be awesome. But Hawks fans don't get your hopes up. Remember these are just rumors.
In my opinion, Chauncey Billups would be the best and realistic addition for the Hawks. As of July 1st, Billups will become an unrestricted free agent. However, Joe Dumars is confident that the Pistons will have no problems re-signing him back to the team. But if Billups doesn't sign, hopefully the Hawks can win him over...please god!

http://www.screamingsports.com/en/pu...x?b=391&u=1188
Yi is not a center, not by a long shot! He is 7'0" but his stature and his game are SF, PF at the best (like Nowicki - lots of skills on the offense but no D at all)... Even if Hawks fail to acquire true center, I think combo of Zaza/Horford/Shelden will do just fine in the East and with all the athleticism Hawks possess rebounding will not be a problem... However, it would be great if Hawks could land one more piece - veteran FA (Center or a PG)...
T21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: