Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #151
Free
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 341
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devientz
The thing I hold against Wade is the team he had when he won his championship. While I know none of them were in their prime and Wade, being young, led the team....You had Shaq, Payton, Mourning, walker, williams.ect...a ton of great vetarans. and thats half the battle...Again I DO think Wade is a great player..easily top 10 right now...but leading a team of veterans to the finals vs leading a team of inexperienced players are very different. Leading a team with those players to a ring is great and all but it doesnt overthrow the likes of Garnett Kobe and Nash IMO. I dont know why you cant understand my reasoning, its not that unreasonable..In my list, Wade was #6....I also said if he could easily change my mind next season


Oh come on, Magic, Jordan, Shaq, and countless of other greats have led more talented teams to championships, are you going to discredit them also? NOt to mention the Heat were heavy underdogs in the finals, people said they were old and slow beforhand. Wade led a veteran team to a championship but he did some heavy lifting himself. Oh and I'm not arguing your top five, that's your peragative, I'm just arguing your statement that Wade is overrated or that he's unworthy of a top five player.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:31 PM   #152
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,284
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Here's my top 5:
1. Duncan
2. Kobe
3. Lebron
4. Dirk
5. Garnett

Dirk is the MVP of the season and I still dont understand why other people being injured is used against him.

Nonetheless, I can understand the dislike for him and his game but please listen to this.

The reason why he doesnt drive/post-up is b/c that isnt the way he plays. If he starts playing like that, then the way the mavs play on offense changes. So i think thats a reason why he doesnt post-up so much.
You think that Dirk doesn't post up or drive is because that would change the offense of the Mavs, why exactly is that a bad thing? The team can't get it done in the post season and they have a very weak post why would they welcome a post up player or a player that drives? He doesn't do those things because he can't do them well.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #153
Devientz
High school junior varsity star
 
Devientz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 589
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free
Oh come on, Magic, Jordan, Shaq, and countless of other greats have led more talented teams to championships, are you going to discredit them also? NOt to mention the Heat were heavy underdogs in the finals, people said they were old and slow beforhand. Wade led a veteran team to a championship but he did some heavy lifting himself. Oh and I'm not arguing your top five, that's your peragative, I'm just arguing your statement that Wade is overrated or that he's unworthy of a top five player.

I DO think Wade is overated...maybe not by you...maybe not by anyone who reads this...but I cant even tell you how many times Ive see people say that wade is "the best" player in the league.

Im not gonna post in this thread anymore...Ill just leave it at this:

"In my opinion, Wade isnt worthy of top 5....close....but not there yet"

That is all
Devientz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:34 PM   #154
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman
 
InfiniteBaskets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,948
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

I don't know how this "top 5 players... is Dirk still there?" turned into

"top 5 players ... is D Wade still there?"

So to all those people who keep criticizing Wade < Dirk, I have a question.. Why do you attack only Wade? By doing this, are you acknowledging that besides Wade, you think that (My top 5 w/o wade)
1. Duncan
2. Kobe
3. Nash
4 and 5. LeBron / Garnett tied

are all better than Dirk? If that's the case, then wouldn't the thread be over b/c Dirk would still not be in top 5 regardless of whether he is better than Wade or not?

Or perhaps you think Dirk is better than maybe LeBron or Garnett as well except you attack Wade maybe because you feel he is the easiest one to outcast from the top five or maybe you might dislike how he sometimes does get unfair calls his way. I'm not sure. But either way, in my opinion I believe that [b]if Dwayne Wade never existed in the league, Dirk would STILL not be in the top 5[b]. Feel free to debate my first point if you'd like to downplay a player besides Wade for a change.

Secondly, I will concede that although both players had disappointing seasons, Wade did not perform as well as Dirk this past season. So top five for last season only, Wade is not there. However, if I were to pick a healthy Dwayne Wade or a healthy Dirk Nowitzki, I'd go with DWade. D Wade at his best has already proven that he can outplay a healthy Dirk.

I'd put Wade on my list tied with LeBron and Garnett. Dirk would be a lower tier top 10 player.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #155
Free
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 341
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devientz
I DO think Wade is overated...maybe not by you...maybe not by anyone who reads this...but I cant even tell you how many times Ive see people say that wade is "the best" player in the league.

Im not gonna post in this thread anymore...Ill just leave it at this:

"In my opinion, Wade isnt worthy of top 5....close....but not there yet"

That is all

For every person that overrates Wade there are those who underrate him. This is usually the case for most players. Anyways I respect your opinion although I strongly disagree.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #156
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
You think that Dirk doesn't post up or drive is because that would change the offense of the Mavs, why exactly is that a bad thing? The team can't get it done in the post season and they have a very weak post why would they welcome a post up player or a player that drives? He doesn't do those things because he can't do them well.
you are right...

kinda like Duncan doesn't shoot threes

Dirk is an outside shooter, plain and simple
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #157
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free
For every person that overrates Wade there are those who underrate him. This is usually the case for most players. Anyways I respect your opinion although I strongly disagree.
I don't think so...

there are enough Wade/Barkley commericials on for every casual fan in the world to think Wade is jordan...
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #158
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,284
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
I don't think so...

there are enough Wade/Barkley commericials on for every casual fan in the world to think Wade is jordan...
There are enough Lebron commercials as there are casual fans that think Lebron is better than Jordan. What your point? Wade has been getting underrated ever since he got injured, because pre injury he was top 5 for sure and now he isn't top 5 at all.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:03 AM   #159
TiMavericks21
Decent playground baller
 
TiMavericks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 108
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

I find it funny that everyone speaks so highly about Lebron and so poorly of Dirk. Did Dirk struggle in a playoff series. Absolutely, he got double and triple teamed and had a very poor series against a very hot team. Lebron James led the Cavs to the Finals in the terrible Eastern Conference. He played good up until the Finals and then what? He faded in the Finals just like Dirk did against the Warriors. Once SA sent double and triple teams at him, he struggled. Obviously Cleveland's loss to SA isn't comparable to Dallas against GS because it was the biggest upset in NBA history, but I just find it funny how all of you ignorant people who criticize Dirk define a player based upon 6 games. He went cold for 6 games. Apparently that drops him out of the so called "Top 5" when he's only led Dallas to to winning no less than 50 games since 2000, but no, it's these 6 games that should make his status completely plummet.
TiMavericks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 AM   #160
Free
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 341
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
I don't think so...

there are enough Wade/Barkley commericials on for every casual fan in the world to think Wade is jordan...


If that were the case, the ratings would be much higher and he'd be considered far and away the best player in the league.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 AM   #161
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star
 
White Chocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,621
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981


"what does a playa have to do to get on this list?"


Do drugs.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 AM   #162
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year
 
DatZNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,845
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMavericks21
I find it funny that everyone speaks so highly about Lebron and so poorly of Dirk. Did Dirk struggle in a playoff series. Absolutely, he got double and triple teamed and had a very poor series against a very hot team. Lebron James led the Cavs to the Finals in the terrible Eastern Conference. He played good up until the Finals and then what? He faded in the Finals just like Dirk did against the Warriors. Once SA sent double and triple teams at him, he struggled. Obviously Cleveland's loss to SA isn't comparable to Dallas against GS because it was the biggest upset in NBA history, but I just find it funny how all of you ignorant people who criticize Dirk define a player based upon 6 games. He went cold for 6 games. Apparently that drops him out of the so called "Top 5" when he's only led Dallas to to winning no less than 50 games since 2000, but no, it's these 6 games that should make his status completely plummet.
you neglect to mention Dirk has, 2 yrs running, been involved in 2 HISTORIC level upsets at this point
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:06 AM   #163
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter
 
Richie2k6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Terrordome Team: Nuggets
Posts: 9,906
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

Quote:
He faded in the Finals just like Dirk did against the Warriors.
No. The Spurs were just better. Lebron played fine. Dirk played terribly.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #164
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,284
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMavericks21
I find it funny that everyone speaks so highly about Lebron and so poorly of Dirk. Did Dirk struggle in a playoff series. Absolutely, he got double and triple teamed and had a very poor series against a very hot team. Lebron James led the Cavs to the Finals in the terrible Eastern Conference. He played good up until the Finals and then what? He faded in the Finals just like Dirk did against the Warriors. Once SA sent double and triple teams at him, he struggled. Obviously Cleveland's loss to SA isn't comparable to Dallas against GS because it was the biggest upset in NBA history, but I just find it funny how all of you ignorant people who criticize Dirk define a player based upon 6 games. He went cold for 6 games. Apparently that drops him out of the so called "Top 5" when he's only led Dallas to to winning no less than 50 games since 2000, but no, it's these 6 games that should make his status completely plummet.
First Lebron didn't have a good first two games in the finals but was pretty good for the rest. Dirk was horrible for the entire GS series. And Dirk was only the leader of the team when Nash left not since 2000. Michael Finley anyone.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #165
Free
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 341
Default Re: top 5 players....is Dirk still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
No. The Spurs were just better. Lebron played fine. Dirk played terribly.


No. LeBron was pretty bad, he shot 36/38% from the field and never really got in the flow.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy