Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #16
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The Atlantic...The Winners...The Losers...Who has it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
Marbury
Francis
Crawford
Lee
Frye
QRich
Jeffries
Nate
Collins

I believe all were injured or suspended for 10 or more games each last season. Many of them played through injury as well (Marbury, Francis, Q)

And that was my reasoning exactly. The Knicks are extremely deep and talented (though admittedly not very good), the Celtics were not very deep and talented. Going into the season, their 2nd best player was Wally who had a history of injuries, and Al Jeff was an unkown. I knew that if anything happened to PP, they were horrendous. That is exactly what happened. That is why depth helps, esp. in the regular season.

Just think, if any team in this conference had the money New York has, then things would be a lot different...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #17
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

ChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
The funny thing is, TO only really had a couple players at most with playoff experience while New Jersey's big 3 have had experience past 1st round for more than a couple years....Plus, with Toronto, Rasho is still a good center, he averaged over a block per game and also brought energy to the floor when he got going....He got going when they gave him the ball...he is also a good rebounder....Sam Mitchell is not a great coach and I don't think he deserved that coach of the year and the contract extension...they need a veteran coach which knows what they are doing....

Rasho has only averaged 24 mins a game for his career. Last season w/TO it was about 21.. that was with Bargs out and inexperienced and Garbojsa injured and inexperiences as well. With those two back and better, I see him playing even less minutes and some DNPs - Coach's Decision.

And what's so funny about the playoff experience? I thought the Raps were so internationally tested? They learned last year, but what they learned they didn't seem to address (see rebounding and defense) So far they have added a wing, who I don't know much about (Delfino) along with another outside shooter who brings little else to the table.

I'm sure they are not done since they do have pieces to work with, and their younger players will get better but they seemingly have a long way to go if they plan on being a threat int he playoffs.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 PM   #18
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

1. Boston (2nd in the East)

2. Toronto (5th In the East)
3. New Jersey (6th in the East)

4. New York (Missed)
5. Philadelphia (Missed)

Let's start at the bottom. Philadelphia is now in rebuilding mode, so after AI (Andre...), they don't seriously have enough talent to make a push for the playoffs (although last year's mini-run was impressive with their roster, AI may soon become a great leader). New York... is well, New York. And of course when I say that I mean their team is being run by Isiah Thomas, and all I can say is he has done nothing positive for this team in his time in the front office. How this year will be any different for NY is just unreasonable to me. I mean another fat-headed former all-star that happens to be overpaid? SIGN ME UP!

Making the playoffs: New Jersey and Toronto. These guys will be battling it out for the middle of Eastern conference. Although any team with Carter as the "leader" doesn't sound like they will go far. But I'm not gonna just toss the book on Kidd either. Although aging quickly, I have enough faith that Kidd knows how to win and will have another good season. Also expect Nenad to come back strong and make a good impact (however I expect Moore to decline, if he's even still there..). Toronto I don't think improved much with the Jason Kapono signing, as they already had some great young shooters. I only expect Bargnani to improve throughout the season and continue to work on his jumper (mini-dirk?), however their lack of coaching might really hurt them during the season.

Far and away leader: Boston. The Celtics really distinguished themselves as the best in the Atlantic division, if not the Entire Eastern conference during this draft. Tossing away a crappy white guy and an average young player and bringing in the best shooter in the league combined with one, if not the toughest, slashers in the league in Paul Pierce. Last year, many people forget the Celtics had the most injuries in the league. There was a stretch of the season where Pierce missed 24 consecutive games where the Celtics went an astounding 2-22. Of course not to mention how Wally played about 10 games, Perkins missing 40, Tony Allen missing the entire season, West being out at least 19 games, and Telfair s*cking up the league, really hindered their chances of any kind of playoff push. In result of this, many people are putting the Celtics are 8, or NOT EVEN MAKING THE PLAYOFFS AT ALL () . The truth of the matter is; they have the quickest up-and-coming star in Al Jefferson, who already has arguably one of the inside games in the league, and the next coming of a mini Glove in Rajon Rondo (great pass-first point guard with hands the size of Shaq...) give the Celtics the perfect combo of an inside-out game possible.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #19
rknine15
Buckets Baby

rknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat cool

next season im pretty sure the raps will start andrea....

im gonna have to say

1.Nets
2.Raptors
3.knicks
4.boston
5.philly

top 4 making the ps

Last edited by rknine15 : 07-02-2007 at 10:25 PM.
rknine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #20
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

ATL

Toronto

NJ

NY - NY has more depth than Boston. I made a bet with a coworker last year the Knicks finish higher than the Celts and they did. My reasoning.. the Knicks can withstand an injury at each position and to each player and not lose much talent. Boston cannot.. w/o PP, Allen or Jefferson the C's go back to losing.

Boston

Philly
Old 07-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #21
Mad Max
I hit open layups

Mad Max has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
SF-Kapono VS Jefferson-Offensively this one is tight.....You might disagree with me but think about it, when Kapono gets going, he is quite the shooter....49% shooter last year....But Jefferson is the slasher so i would give this to Jefferson...

10 out of 10 times you would give that matchup to Rjeff. What are you retarded? How is it even TIGHT? When could Kapono create his own damn shot? Show me how he creates offense for himself. What difference is Kapono and Korver? The meterosexual shop they choose to upgrade thier wardrobe? Oh ok. Rjeff owns Kapono OFFENSIVELY and its not even close.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #22
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Paul Pierce
Ray Allen
Al Jefferson

Doc Rivers
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #23
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX

now now... we know you love the Celtics, but at this point, give credit to the current Atlantic champs. once the season gets rolling and if the Celtics get on a hot streak, then ppl will give them their due recognition
Old 07-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #24
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
now now... we know you love the Celtics,
Behind Atlanta and New York....

Let me think...

No?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #25
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

You know what's more of an eye-roller?

This:
Quote:
Far and away leader: Boston.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #26
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
You know what's more of an eye-roller?

This:
I love the justification, really. Is this how you debate?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #27
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Behind Atlanta and New York....

Let me think...

No?

im pretty sure that ATL means Atlantic.

and behind New York is probably questionable. I'm not sold on the Krispy Creme tandem. lots of offense, Randolph can get the boards to cover up Curry's lethargy in the rebounding department. but neither are premier defenders or shot blockers so until Isiah plants a defensive mindset into them, the Knicks will improve to near .500 but not much better
Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #28
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

ChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this board

Quote:
1. Boston (2nd in the East)

2. Toronto (5th In the East)
3. New Jersey (6th in the East)

4. New York (Missed)
5. Philadelphia (Missed)

So Boston is going to be better than all but 1 of these teams:

Cleveland
Chicago
Detroit
NJ
Toronto
Miami

They would essentially have to win 52+ games to be #2 in the East. How many games did they win last year? 24? So you're expecting about a 25-30 game turn around?

And if anything should happen to PP, Allen (and his repaired ankles) or Al Jeff then what?

Their PG rotation is young, inconsistent and shallow, and their Center position is rather weak as well.

I'm sure they will be in the playoff race, but I can't see them turning into an ECF powerhouse overnight thanks to Ray Allen.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #29
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Quote:
So Boston is going to be better than all but 1 of these teams:

Cleveland
Chicago
Detroit
NJ
Toronto
Miami

Yes; they should be better than everyone besides Detroit, barring a large signing.

Quote:
They would essentially have to win 52+ games to be #2 in the East. How many games did they win last year? 24? So you're expecting about a 25-30 game turn around?

If you read my post, I explained how Pierce missed over 35 games, and a stretch where he missed 24 straight (where the Celtics went 2-22). Half the season they were being led in scoring by Ryan Gomes, who's now the 6th best player on the team.

Quote:
And if anything should happen to PP, Allen (and his repaired ankles) or Al Jeff then what?

Then it would hurt them, and wouldn't be a top 5 seed obviously What would happen to the Nets if Kidd went down? THEN WHAT?

Quote:
Their PG rotation is young, inconsistent and shallow, and their Center position is rather weak as well.

Rondo production wasn't inconsistent, but his minutes were last year. If you ever watched the Celtics last year, you could tell he was the guy the Celtics were going to keep based solely on his potential. He won't shoot the ball, but he makes great decisions, has incredible speed (40 time may be top 3 in the league)

Center? Theo is being rumored as trade bait, but it's possible he could really strengthen the middle if he comes back healthy as well.

Quote:
I'm sure they will be in the playoff race, but I can't see them turning into an ECF powerhouse overnight thanks to Ray Allen.

No, they were a playoff team last year, before the team imploded. Now with the emergence of Al Jefferson, Tony Allen coming back healthy, Pierce coming back healthy, and Ray coming into form, makes them the Atlanta favorite.

Last edited by XxNeXuSxX : 07-02-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #30
Mad Max
I hit open layups

Mad Max has an OK reputation so far

The Atlantic division will only place 2 teams in the postseason.

New Jersey and Toronto. Which of the two is better? Which of the two will win the division? I dont know. Both are playoff contenders and it would be interesting to see.

Toronto, NJ, Clev, Chi, Det, Miami...thats 6 teams who should make the playoffs because they have playoff caliber teams.

2 spots are left. Milw healthy? Is a playoff contender in my book. The injuries to most of the starters/core really hurt them bigtime. At full strength? This team wins atleast 41 games. Enough to get them into the playoffs in the East.

So that leaves you with 1 spot. Good luck Boston and NYK. I dont see 3 playoff teams in the Atlantic. Lets atleast try to be realistic here and knock off the homer crap.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: