Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #16
basketballer4
Sweaty ti.ts

basketballer4 is considered somewhat coolbasketballer4 is considered somewhat coolbasketballer4 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Somebody gave Vareajo a big offer

Link:
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/17449461.htm
basketballer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #17
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

pleeeeeeease memphis do not sign him.. i will have to watch him play 82 times next year
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #18
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

This was posted on the Cavs board about 24 hours ago, maybe longer. I didn't think it was that big a news, so I didn't put it up here. ESPN radio's local guy, Tony Rizzo reported that the Memphis newspapers are saying that Varejo has agreed to a contract with them.

Cleveland has already tendered qualifying offers to Varejo and Sasha.

I'm hearing numbers of 40 mil over 5 years. I HOPE that's not what Ferry offered him.

If it is, I hope Memphis takes him just to keep Ferry from paying him that much because he isn't worth it.

Varejo leaving will leave us even more short on the front line, but signing him for that much locks us into another high contract for the next 5 years. Ferry is a salary cap nightmare.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #19
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Ferry is a salary cap nightmare.

You'd think he learn something from the SA front office. Apparently nothing got through him.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #20
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
You'd think he learn something from the SA front office. Apparently nothing got through him.

SA seems to be the european farm team. They have a great team right now, so they can afford to wait on players. They draft european players that would be high draft choices the following year, but nobody wants them because they can't get out of their contracts for an entire year. Then they come back and play for the Spurs a year later.

We need to be getting a lot more value out of our draft choices. Last year was good, Shannon Brown and Daniel Gibson, but I don't understand why S. Brown didn't play more?

But with the salary cap rules, if you sign more than 1 player to a huge contract, you're basically putting yourself in a no-trade situation, where you can't maneuver within the cap.

We need to take advantage of the rookie salary cap and start developing young guys the way Chicago has.

Obviously Lebron wants to win now. I want us to win now. But overpaying Varejo is going to screw us, and frankly, he isn't worth it. He isn't going to get much better than he is now.

Mathius
Old 07-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #21
Fab17
I airball my layups

Fab17 has an OK reputation so far

How much is this big offer? 8-10 million range?

I think the Cavs will match any offer for him, and let Pavlovic walk.
Fab17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #22
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab17

That would probably be the most stupid move they could possibly make.

Sasha has way more potential than Varejo will ever have, and has consistently improved his game. He's also a starter, and unless S. Brown comes out this year like a bat out of hell, or Hughes moves back to SG and they start Gibson, this would really hurt our rotation.

We're deep at the 2 spot, but we're not talented at the 2 by any means. We need Sasha, or we need to replace him in a trade, or MLE for a scorer.

Mathius
Old 07-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #23
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Heck no!

From watching the Cavs play in the finals, Pavlovic is a guy they need to keep. If he can improve on finishing he is going to be a crazy good starting SG for the Cavs for a some years to come. He is a solid shooter. He plays solid defense and his bonehead mistakes can be corrected with experience.

If they choose b/w the two it would have to be Sasha, not Varejao. Dude has no offensive game and is only an energy guy. I don't see him starting unless he develops a better offensive game down low.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #24
Fab17
I airball my layups

Fab17 has an OK reputation so far

Mathius and Elpigto, I agree with you guys, if the Cavs should pick one of these two, it should be Sasha.

Unfortunelly, Ferry likes Varejao a lot, and he is very admired by the fans...thats why I think Ferry would not let him go.

If we keep him and sign Sasha for something like 36millions/6years. The Cavs will not have any cap flexibility for the years to come, assuming that Varejao and Hughes would be very hard to trade.
Fab17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:57 PM   #25
KempSonics
Local High School Star

KempSonics has an OK reputation so far

I heard that Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace is in Argentina making a pitch for Andres Nocioni. Do the grizzlies have room for both Varejao and Nocioni? Or does this new news mean that the Grizz are not the team that made Varejao the large offer?
KempSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #26
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Agent_Zero is considered somewhat coolAgent_Zero is considered somewhat cool

The Cavs would be foolish to match an offer above the MLE. Let him flop somewhere else, like chicago, where him and noah can switch jerseys and no one would notice.
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #27
Mathius

Quote:
Mathius and Elpigto, I agree with you guys, if the Cavs should pick one of these two, it should be Sasha.

Unfortunelly, Ferry likes Varejao a lot, and he is very admired by the fans...thats why I think Ferry would not let him go.

If we keep him and sign Sasha for something like 36millions/6years. The Cavs will not have any cap flexibility for the years to come, assuming that Varejao and Hughes would be very hard to trade.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but both Sasha and Varejo are restricted free agents, so the Cavs can match any offer they're willing to pay right, even if they go over the salary cap?

So if Ferry does decide to be stupid and offer Varejo an insane contract, he can still resign Sasha.

The bad part is, he just continues to ruin our salary cap situation.

Mathius
Old 07-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #28
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Danny Ferry would have to be incredibly stupid to match this offer. He's not worth that kind of money. A bench player who has little offensive skills doesn't deserve this type of contract.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #29
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Danny Ferry would have to be incredibly stupid to match this offer.

Ok.. Ask yourself how much are we paying Damon Jones, and for how much longer?

Then ask yourself... How much are we paying Larry Hughes and for how much longer?

Then ask yourself... How much are we paying Donyell Marshall, and for how much longer?

Then read your statement again...

Now get back to me.

Mathius
Old 07-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #30
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Ok.. Ask yourself how much are we paying Damon Jones, and for how much longer?

Then ask yourself... How much are we paying Larry Hughes and for how much longer?

Then ask yourself... How much are we paying Donyell Marshall, and for how much longer?

Then read your statement again...

Now get back to me.

Mathius

At the time, the Larry Hughes deal made SOME sense. They had to get a SG and they already struck out in getting Ray Allen and Michael Redd. At the time, this seemed like it could wind up being bad, but I don't think anyone expected it to be this atrocious
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: