Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #16
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: PJ Carlesimo Named Sonics Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
hes done a decent job in cleveland. he went to the second round in 06 and he went to the finals this year. not bad for a beginner coach. pop knew all his tricks and how to stop them...that was his downfall.

You're seriously going to credit Mike Brown for that?

Lets review:

Cleveland goes 42-40, gets rid of Paul Silas, hires Mike Brown.

BUT, also signs Larry Hughes, trades for Flip Murray.

Cleveland wins 8 more games. 2nd round exit to Detroit. We abandon our offense and play "lets give the ball to Lebron" (good coaching)

Following year... Mike Brown fails to improve on his 50-32 of previous year...

BUT, Sasha Pavlovich shows vast improvement, AND we add Daniel Gibson in the draft... HUGE impact in the ECF...

This year beat Detroit... Embarassed in the Finals.

So... what exactly does Mike Brown get credit for?

Lebron James gets most of the credit for what happened. The announcers even pointed out all playoff long that D. Jones, E. Snow were calling plays and motivating players in the huddle.

Not Mike Brown.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #17
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS
 
RainierBeachPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 6,877
RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: PJ Carlesimo Named Sonics Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
NBA: Sonics will hire Carlesimo

Web Posted: 07/03/2007 06:02 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The Seattle SuperSonics have decided to hire P.J. Carlesimo as their new head coach, an NBA source said Tuesday evening.

Carlesimo has spent the previous five seasons as an assistant on the staff of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

Seattle’s new owner, Clay Bennett -- a former member of the Spurs’ ownership group -- has tried to use the Spurs as a blueprint to remake the Sonics. Last month, Bennett hired Spurs assistant general manager Sam Presti to oversee the Sonics’ front office.
Seattle is expected to announce Carlesimo’s hiring Wednesday afternoon.

this was going to be my main point...

the sonics will be moved. there is little doubt in my mind now. all this remaking of the organization is not for the benefit of us seattle fans--- but for middle america-- okc or kc

i hope we can now sign sprewell for some drama...
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #18
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star
 
SsKSpurs21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Antonio GO SPURS GO!
Posts: 2,275
SsKSpurs21 has decent reputation
Default Re: PJ Carlesimo Named Sonics Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
You're seriously going to credit Mike Brown for that?

Lets review:

Cleveland goes 42-40, gets rid of Paul Silas, hires Mike Brown.

BUT, also signs Larry Hughes, trades for Flip Murray.

Cleveland wins 8 more games. 2nd round exit to Detroit. We abandon our offense and play "lets give the ball to Lebron" (good coaching)

Following year... Mike Brown fails to improve on his 50-32 of previous year...

BUT, Sasha Pavlovich shows vast improvement, AND we add Daniel Gibson in the draft... HUGE impact in the ECF...

This year beat Detroit... Embarassed in the Finals.

So... what exactly does Mike Brown get credit for?

Lebron James gets most of the credit for what happened. The announcers even pointed out all playoff long that D. Jones, E. Snow were calling plays and motivating players in the huddle.

Not Mike Brown.

Mathius

your a cavs fan so i guess you know more about mike brown than i do. i was just going by his track record of making to the second round and the nba finals. be it lebron, great talent or whatever, but the point i was trying to make is that coaches who leave san antonio end up "lucky" if you want to say that, and they bring some success to the franchises they go to.

Rainerebeach, that really sucks for you and other sonics fans. what are the chances of the sonics leaving? alot of people are saying kevin durant is the savior to keep the sonics in seattle. iam sure city officials will see the impact he could bring and end up giving bennett a new arena.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #19
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: PJ Carlesimo Named Sonics Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
but the point i was trying to make is that coaches who leave san antonio end up "lucky" if you want to say that, and they bring some success to the franchises they go to.

That's another interesting quote. What other coaches have come from under Poppovich in the league and what was their records?

Danny Ferry is from the Spurs, he's our GM (WHY?) and his track record isn't much better. He got us enough to get to the Finals and get embarassed, and we're like 20 mil over the cap (at least that much) and can't sign anyone, or move these guys because the only ones on the team with trade value are Gibson, Lebron, S. Brown, maybe Sasha, and maybe Z.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #20
kobeisgod
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 71
kobeisgod has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: PJ Carlesimo Named Sonics Head Coach

spurs are spreading their seeds everywhere. kerr avery mike brown now carlismo. it will be thier downfall
kobeisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #21
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS
 
RainierBeachPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 6,877
RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default sonic scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21

Rainerebeach, that really sucks for you and other sonics fans. what are the chances of the sonics leaving? alot of people are saying kevin durant is the savior to keep the sonics in seattle. iam sure city officials will see the impact he could bring and end up giving bennett a new arena.

my guess:

bennett sells off the high contract guys, goes young puts the sonics in good shape for future cap considerations in 2009

the team loses alot this year although kd looks promising.

even in the unlikely event that the sonics do well, kd is not enough to motivate public money for a new arena-- this is still the main issue

unless some indian casinos come through with private funding, the arena isnt going to happen

city officials decide to put more tax money into public dog spas in all the city parks instead of helping the sonics

bennett makes kc and okc bid against one another-- goes to the best overall deal

2009, kd gets more experienced, the sonics (if that is still the name of the team) pick up some great complimentary player to kd,

robert swift makes his first all star game (ok-- maybe i am going overboard now), the sonics become a major west conference team

bennett is happy; kd is a superstar; kc/okc is in nirvana

we go salmon fishing and bring the schnauzer to the spa
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #22
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters
 
Young HkM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 796
Young HkM is considered somewhat coolYoung HkM is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: sonic scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
my guess:

bennett sells off the high contract guys, goes young puts the sonics in good shape for future cap considerations in 2009

the team loses alot this year although kd looks promising.

even in the unlikely event that the sonics do well, kd is not enough to motivate public money for a new arena-- this is still the main issue

unless some indian casinos come through with private funding, the arena isnt going to happen

city officials decide to put more tax money into public dog spas in all the city parks instead of helping the sonics

bennett makes kc and okc bid against one another-- goes to the best overall deal

2009, kd gets more experienced, the sonics (if that is still the name of the team) pick up some great complimentary player to kd,

robert swift makes his first all star game (ok-- maybe i am going overboard now), the sonics become a major west conference team

bennett is happy; kd is a superstar; kc/okc is in nirvana

we go salmon fishing and bring the schnauzer to the spa

It's more than that though. Muckleshoot was interested in opening an arena, but Bennett has failed to work with them. He then went on and told the US media that no one is showing interest in creating a new arena. Dude is a ****ing ******. I hate that jackass.

SOS - Save our Sonics
Young HkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:51 AM   #23
NBABaller
Banned
 
NBABaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 628
NBABaller has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: PJ Carlesimo Named Sonics Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Bull crap. He sucked in Portland before he ever met Sprewell. Are you saying Clyde the Glyde and Terry Porter were uncoachable?

They never made it past the first round of the playoffs, then like 1 or 2 seasons after he leaves, they go to the semi-finals.





Yeah, Mike Brown learned a lot under Poppovich.

Mathius

*****slapps the Mofos spurs fans!!!
NBABaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:54 AM   #24
NBABaller
Banned
 
NBABaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 628
NBABaller has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: PJ Carlesimo Named Sonics Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeisgod
spurs are spreading their seeds everywhere. kerr avery mike brown now carlismo. it will be thier downfall

I feel sorry for those teams!
NBABaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #25
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS
 
RainierBeachPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 6,877
RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default sonic rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young HkM
It's more than that though. Muckleshoot was interested in opening an arena, but Bennett has failed to work with them. He then went on and told the US media that no one is showing interest in creating a new arena. Dude is a ****ing ******. I hate that jackass.

SOS - Save our Sonics

it was disingenuous from the beginning.

we knew all along that bennetts public statements were just a front and that it was his intent to move the sonics the whole time. it is the only reason why he bought them

howard shultz is more to blame for selling it to him. he should have foreseen this. there would have been some seattle suitors who would have bought the sonics and worked to keep then here.

it was all about the bottom line--- $$$
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #26
allball
National High School Star
 
allball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring, TX (H-town)
Posts: 2,112
allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation
Default Re: PJ Carlesimo Named Sonics Head Coach

Drexler played half a season for PJ. Porter played 35 games for him.

Blazers had aging roster plus Strickland and A. Mckie

best year under PJ they went 49-33 when they got Rider and Rasheed but lost Strickland and replaced him with Kenny Anderson. They lost to a better Lakers team. The previous 2 years they lost to better Suns and Jazz teams.

Has to deal with Rod, Rider and Sheed over 3 years.

Record in portland: 44-38,44-38 and 49-33.

Dunleavy takes over next year and they win 3 fewer games and lose to the same Laker team.

In GS, PJ inherits horrible shooting team and the Sprewell incident happens 14 games in. GS roster throughout the year consists of 21 different players:

http://basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/1998.html

next year / strike year they win 21 of 50 games with this roster:

http://basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/1999.html

PJ can be stubborn as hell but the man's coaching skills cant be questioned. he was also 2 points from winning an NCAA national championship.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #27
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: PJ Carlesimo Named Sonics Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
PJ can be stubborn as hell but the man's coaching skills cant be questioned. he was also 2 points from winning an NCAA national championship.

Yes. They can. I just did. What has he ever won as a HEAD coach in the NBA?

This guy has such a great rep and he hasn't won crap. Same as Don Nelson.

And if you want to bring up all those personnel issues as an excuse, fine. Just what do you think he's going to win in Seattle where his best players are two unproven draft choices? Hmm?

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #28
allball
National High School Star
 
allball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring, TX (H-town)
Posts: 2,112
allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation
Default Re: PJ Carlesimo Named Sonics Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Yes. They can. I just did. What has he ever won as a HEAD coach in the NBA?

This guy has such a great rep and he hasn't won crap. Same as Don Nelson.

And if you want to bring up all those personnel issues as an excuse, fine. Just what do you think he's going to win in Seattle where his best players are two unproven draft choices? Hmm?

Mathius

no coach can win without very good to great players. what is Phil Jackson doing right now? Did PJ have Jordan and Pippen? Shaq and Kobe?

What coach could win with these rosters:

http://basketball-reference.com/teams/POR/1995.html (44-38)(Drexler traded at all star break)

http://basketball-reference.com/teams/POR/1996.html (44-38)(Defense = 103.8 (6th out of 29)

http://basketball-reference.com/teams/POR/1997.html (49-33, Offense = 107.9 (10th out of 29), Defense = 103.3 (7th out of 29) (not a single all-star)

as for nelson, PJ inherited his mess and couldnt shake it but GS was improving in his second year. he had not one all-star player in his years at GS and only Clyde for half a season with the Blazers. (although Strickland was all-star caliber).

so let me ask you what coach HAS won in the NBA without all-star players?
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #29
Collie
Good college starter
 
Collie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,317
Collie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this boardCollie is popular on this board
Default Re: PJ Carlesimo Named Sonics Head Coach

Cool.

Can't wait for Durant to choke him.
Collie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #30
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: PJ Carlesimo Named Sonics Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
no coach can win without very good to great players.

Evidently his GM's didn't agree with you, because I doubt they sat down to create a mediocre team.

Also, he was fired at both spots... so AGAIN... obviously his GM's didn't agree with you.

So what exactly makes this time in Seattle different?

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy