Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 07-12-2007, 02:02 AM   #16
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

hutcht02 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Shooting Guard Situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi>mario
Well, The great question for the Jazz is now a little more clear, What will we do at the 2 spot? The 3 spot is pretty full as things stand now so these guys will have to get their minutes at the two spot.

Giricek
Brewer
Miles
Almond
M Peterson?
C Magette?
other?

What is your solution?

Corey Maggette won't fill your need at SG. Morris Peterson would be a great fit, and I think you'll be pleasently suprised with Mrris Almond even though I'm not sure if he's a SG. Ronnie Brewer should get more minutes and C.J. Miles is good, but overrated. Give Brewer the minutes if you guys don't get MoPete and see what Almond can do at the SG position. If he fits, use him, but Sloan is known for shying away from rookies so IDK how realistic that would be, even though Millsap was a welcome exception as Almond might be. He might fit because Sloan also is known for putting two PG's on the floor at once, so I wouldn't be suprised at all to see Almond get serious minutes at SG and be mildly successful.
hutcht02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #17
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far

After some additional research I think we are al sleeping on Gordon Giricek.

Check out his post all star numbers.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...s?statsId=3363

He was shooting the three over 50% consistently through the last part of the season and playoffs. For his pay check we might like to keep him.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:01 AM   #18
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Quote:
After some additional research I think we are al sleeping on Gordon Giricek.

Check out his post all star numbers.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...s?statsId=3363

He was shooting the three over 50% consistently through the last part of the season and playoffs. For his pay check we might like to keep him.

Giracek has had tremendous potential... He's a lot like Jeff Hornacek, but taller... It's like he didn't know how good he could become or something... At this point in his career, I think he's a great back-up... but I don't think he's starter material really... The only reasons I would trade him, is if we have several sg come on strong and outplay him, or if he helps us trade Kirilenko somehow... for a good solid player
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:20 AM   #19
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat cool

Morris Almond would do good...
wally_world is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:42 AM   #20
OlDeRaDo_64
Jazz Vs Bulls Oct 6 :D

OlDeRaDo_64 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jazzy Nets
Ronnie and Ak are capable of playing point

Do you think AK would play a good PG? he'd be a big one wouldnt he. He has a good pass ability but are you forgetting DWill? Or didnt you mean Point guard when u said 'Point'
OlDeRaDo_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #21
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlDeRaDo_64
Do you think AK would play a good PG? he'd be a big one wouldnt he. He has a good pass ability but are you forgetting DWill? Or didnt you mean Point guard when u said 'Point'

I think he was saying they can play a few minutes at pg behind Williams in a pinch. In the playoffs against Houston all three of our pgs were out and Andrei brought the ball up and started the offense.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #22
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputation

I read on another site that a European team wants Gordon Giricek.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:46 PM   #23
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
I read on another site that a European team wants Gordon Giricek.

Their involvement is absolutely meaningless, until Giricek becomes a free agent.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:52 PM   #24
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
Their involvement is absolutely meaningless, until Giricek becomes a free agent.

I bet that would be a first. To have a European team buy out a NBA contract. Ussually we are the ones taking the contracts, we just stole fez,
Old 08-16-2007, 11:31 PM   #25
Wo1fshadow
I brick open layups

Wo1fshadow has an OK reputation so far

I donít think the SG is an issue now, I mean, Utah has plenty of young talent, they will improve in the next years. Most of Utahís players are still young, they are contenders now and in a couple of years they can only get better.

Good luck Derek Fisher.
Wo1fshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:41 PM   #26
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Quote:
I bet that would be a first. To have a European team buy out a NBA contract. Ussually we are the ones taking the contracts, we just stole fez,

Yeah, I bet it would be a first.

-The Jazz bought Fez from the Ukrainian team, so his former team received compensation, they could have rejected the offer and chosen to keep him forever.

-If the Jazz let Giricek out of his contract, that money would still count against their cap, and since he is healthy, serviceable, and they need help at the position he plays at, it would make no sense to let him go. Basically, if they didn't want him, they would just let him go whether some team from Europe wanted him or not. I see a European team as having zero impact as to what the Jazz would decide to do, unless he was a free-agent and the Jazz were outbid, like when Dominique became a free-agent and got offered $8 to go play in Europe, which was a ton of money for a player way out of his prime, at that time.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #27
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Ah, new article in today's paper. http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_6647242

Jazz: Giricek not leaving - yet
Jazz dispel report claiming shooting guard was on his way to play for team in Spain

Thanks to a phone call from Croatian countryman Zoran Planinic, a story in the El Correo newspaper and the reach of the Internet, Jazz guard Gordan Giricek spent part of Thursday on his way to play for Tau Ceramica in Spain this season.
Not about to happen, according to Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's senior vice president of basketball operations, as well as Marc Fleisher, Giricek's agent. Not with Giricek under contract to the Jazz for one more season at $4 million.
But the story did make for interesting reading, in addition to interesting discussion about Giricek's future in Utah. His relationship with Jerry Sloan has been strained, his expiring contract has trade value and both sides are said to be open to a deal.
At the same time, Giricek is the most experienced shooting guard left on the Jazz's roster after Derek Fisher's departure. Yet Giricek apparently has fallen out of favor and his role this season with the Jazz is uncertain.
Asked if he was confident Giricek would start the season with the team, O'Connor answered, "Never confident of anything . . . Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar got traded, so can anybody get traded? Yeah."
From eight time zones and 5,000 miles away, the Spanish newspaper weighed in on Giricek's unsettled situation in Salt Lake City.
"The Mormon franchise has left the player's status a
Advertisement

little up in the air for someone who has been useful during the past four seasons, but the team has considered letting him go,'' the paper wrote, according to a translation made for the Tribune.
"With this possibility, the Jazz have two possible paths. A trade with another team to strengthen its diminished interior play or to allow a recision [of the contract]. This possibility is what most interests [Tau] and the player's representatives."
The paper wrote that the club is hoping the Jazz will buy out Giricek's contract, similar to what happened last summer with Planinic and the New Jersey Nets. Tau Ceramica is one of the top teams the Euroleague, home to Luis Scola and Tiago Splitter last season.
"For now, Giricek himself is waiting to see but privately acknowledges that [Tau] would be an ideal destination for a European return,'' according to the El Correo report, which was the lead headline on the widely read *********.com blog.
Giricek has Croatian connections to Tau through Planinic, who played three seasons with the Nets, and coach Neven Spahija.
For now, the closest Giricek will get to Spain is a paella dinner. The NBA and FIBA have a agreement to honor each other's contracts, and Giricek still has a season left on the four-year, $16 million deal he signed in July 2004.
Giricek told Planinic that he would consider Tau if he ever wanted to return to Europe. That isn't a consideration now, Fleisher said.
Giricek averaged a career-low 7.8 points off the bench last season, watching as C.J. Miles opened the season as the starting shooting guard and Fisher finished the season in that role.
He voiced concern about being branded a halfhearted defender and worker. In recent weeks, Giricek was described as having an "uneasy relationship" with Sloan.
Giricek sat out nine games with bruised ribs - Jazz owner Larry Miller questioned in a June radio interview whether Giricek "milked" the injury - but has played five NBA seasons and is more experienced than the Jazz's other shooting guard candidates combined.
The Jazz have Giricek, Ronnie Brewer and Morris Almond under contract, with a qualifying offer still out to Miles. Brewer and Miles have little by way of NBA resumes and Almond is a late first-round pick heading into his rookie season.
O'Connor said not to discount the possibility of the Jazz finishing games this season with forwards Andrei Kirilenko and Matt Harpring on the floor together and without a true shooting guard in the lineup.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #28
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
"The Mormon franchise has left the player's status a
little up in the air for someone who has been useful during the past four seasons, but the team has considered letting him go,'' the paper wrote, according to a translation made for the Tribune.

He voiced concern about being branded a halfhearted defender and worker. In recent weeks, Giricek was described as having an "uneasy relationship" with Sloan.

Giricek sat out nine games with bruised ribs - Jazz owner Larry Miller questioned in a June radio interview whether Giricek "milked" the injury-

O'Connor said not to discount the possibility of the Jazz finishing games this season with forwards Andrei Kirilenko and Matt Harpring on the floor together and without a true shooting guard in the lineup.

First off, hilarious "Mormon franchise" quote from the foreign paper.

Giricek really shows a ton of effort on defense now. When he came in he didn't, now he is very energetic as a defender-likes to try to crowd guys. As far as milking the injury, Sloan mentioned both him and AK had trouble near the end of the season and so did the Jazz until they came back- I think LHM gets too dramatic on those radio interviews and creates team trouble.

Giricek had a great post-all-star-game-season and post-season, one of the best shooters in the league, we will need that range from three without Fisher.

I could go with Harpring/Kirilenko 2,3 as long as we aren't going to get torched by defensive matchups in the last 5 minutes of every game. Some teams that would work great against, others we are toast.

I think in the last few weeks I am converted to see Giricek start, Almond backup, and brewer/miles get what they can. At worst, Giri could play well before the trade deadline...
Old 08-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #29
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Yep, I agree with everything you've said luigi>mario... I think Giricek gets first bid to start, and the other guys have to take it away from him... Unless the Jazz pull off a trade for a veteran shooting guard...
Old 08-19-2007, 01:03 AM   #30
lowblok
High School Varsity 6th Man

lowblok has an OK reputation so far

I have to say that I couldn't agree more......The longer the off season goes on the more comfortable the idea of having Giricek starting at the 2 becomes....

I don't know if it's because I really believe that he's turned the corner and ready to play Sloan's way or just that there's no better option right now....
lowblok is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: