Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #16
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation
Default Re: Rakim is the greatest rapper of all time...

"Diversify yo bonds, and konechewa b!cthes!"
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #17
theinfamousmobb
Local High School Star

theinfamousmobb has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroShow4
well rakim may have revolutionized the rhyme game, but GZA was huge part of a group that revolutionized rap music completely. wu-tang is on another level when it comes to being unique. nothing else is like the wu and nothing else will ever compare to the wu.

have you ever heard RZA on the gravediggaz album 6 feet deep? his style is different then it is on wu albums, you might like it.
Eric B. and Rakim revolutioned hip-hop more overall then Wu IMO, you constantly hear samples from their songs and his lines being bit in hip hop now, not so much for wu tang.
theinfamousmobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #18
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No argument here....I would put KRSONE right behind him...just a lil bit.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #19
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousmobb
Eric B. and Rakim revolutioned hip-hop more overall then Wu IMO, you constantly hear samples from their songs and his lines being bit in hip hop now, not so much for wu tang.

wu-tang brought a whole new level of knowledge in hip hop, they don't get bit as much because 97% of other rappers don't even get what their talking about
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #20
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

Rakim is like the "Jim Brown" of hip hop per se. He is the standard by which other rappers are compared to. You can't say that about any other artist.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #21
West-Side
Decent college freshman

West-Side has an OK reputation so far

2pac is, I can relate to a lot of his songs...songs like Dear Mama will never be duplicated. I can't give you a reason why 2pac is the best, I personally hate having arguments about music...you're simply an arrogant person if you want to ARGUE about which rapper or musician is better, everyone have their own preference....you can make a point about a certain rapper, but you can't claim that you're right about him being better.

Rakim and Pac are very close, lyrically Rakim is the best rapper of all-time (by my preference)...I can think of at least 5 lyricists that are better then Pac but his overall package is what makes him the best, IMO. His voice, lyrics, personality, flow was top notch...he changed hip hop like no other artist, if you care to dispute that...wait 30 years, I'm sure Pac will still be remembered by many, while Big and Rakim won't.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #22
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

what album should I check out of Rakim's?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #23
-primetime-

no one on the planet can rap like this...but this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhokPR1FiEo

he is the by far the greatest artist in hip hop
Old 07-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #24
West-Side
Decent college freshman

Quote:
what album should I check out of Rakim's?

Paid In Full
Old 07-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #25
West-Side
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Rakim is like the "Jim Brown" of hip hop per se. He is the standard by which other rappers are compared to. You can't say that about any other artist.

Maybe if you're 35, kids today don't even know who he is...I ask a hip hop head today about Rakim, they say "Yeah I heard of him."

And it's not just one coicidence, it's most of the people I know...I don't understand how he can be the "standard" when so many people don't even know him today. And I was carefully reading this thread, I think he's getting overrated...he's terrific, but you guys are acting like this man is so much above rappers like Bid Daddy Kane, Slick Rick or KRS One...which isn't true, I would put him behind Pac personally.

Tupac
Talib Kweli
Biggie
Rakim
Big Pun
Canibus
Nas
Eminem
Immortal Technique
Jay Z

Are probably my favorite rappers.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #26
Top_Of_Tha_World
High School Varsity 12th Man

Top_Of_Tha_World has an OK reputation so far

Rakims top 5 but he aint 1st. Lyrically lets be realistic.

Jay-Z/Big
Nas
Rakim(Not lately)
KRS ONE(Not lately)
2Pac/Big Daddy Kane/ Eminem(All changed the game and were dope lyricists)
Top_Of_Tha_World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #27
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

TEXAS BATMAN has decent reputationTEXAS BATMAN has decent reputation

Longevity does not necessarily translate to greatness. If he had somehow managed to remain relevant, then he might have a case. Argument goes to LL. If he had made an impact and produced classics that years later people still talk about, he could be considered. Argument goes to Tupac. If he had even managed commercial rap success or dominated sales for any lengthy amount of time while also holding the title as undisputed?

There might even be foundation for that claim. But he can do neither. He was before his time. I think expectations for him nowadays are much too high and in trying to keep up with today's young artists he's failed to find his niche and has struggled lyrically.
TEXAS BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #28
Top_Of_Tha_World
High School Varsity 12th Man

Top_Of_Tha_World has an OK reputation so far

Jay=longevity/adaptation to the fullest
Top_Of_Tha_World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:37 PM   #29
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Of_Tha_World
Jay=longevity/adaptation to the fullest
show me what you got lil momma...... god i hate those repetitive motha ****as
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:16 AM   #30
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

am i the only one who can see the greatness of GZA?? no one ever puts him top 10 on ISH... people putting em, canibus, ll, big pun, all these dudes above him i just dont get it.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: