Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Minnesota Timberwolves Forum

Minnesota Timberwolves Forum Minnesota Timberwolves forum - Minnesota T-Wolves message board

Old 07-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #61
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

It wasn't about the money. All three teams offered the same MLE, it just all went down to the contract details. This is what Mike James had to say on the local radio station in Houston:

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1343/..._timberwolves/

Quote:
"Why Minnesota? I asked for the same deal from everyone," James told 790. "I asked for a player option for a fourth year and a trade kicker. Minnesota was the only team to comply with both."

"It was the same money from all the other teams," said James. "I would take the same money to go back to Houston. But the problem was, they didn't want to give me a player option after my third year."
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #62
raiderfan19
Shazam!

A) i dont think that they will flat out lose(i dont think they will win a ring but they should be solid)

B) 7 million or so dollars isnt a few bucks.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #63
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPower
It's his friggin job, of course it's about money. I don't understand people who get upset about that fact. What fantasy world are you living in?
Extremely valid point. If any of you have an option to do the same job for the same money but have more security (in James's case, an extra year on the contract), you take the security. The athletes are held to a different standard? Why? Because people watch them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
He's making great money either way. But the guy chose a few extra bucks to play in Minnesota to lose for the next four years.....
Do you really think James believes that? You don't think that James believes he'll be a meaningful part of a winning team? James wouldn't sign in Minnesota if he didn't believe he could help make them a winner. Honestly, what player in the whole league signs somewhere and thinks "well, I'm going to be losing for a few years now" ?
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #64
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Mike James for 6.25 per can't be complained about when Claxton got signed for the same.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:24 PM   #65
bagelred
Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
A) i dont think that they will flat out lose(i dont think they will win a ring but they should be solid)

B) 7 million or so dollars isnt a few bucks.

You're right.

Bye Mike....have fun in Minny....we won't hear from you the next four years...enjoy those Twins games and....well nothing else....
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:24 PM   #66
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Everyone is seeing what I've been seeing for a while now. Every single Knicks fan is an idiot.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #67
Inspector Rick
Great young streetballer

Another quick fix in the PG department for Minny. Not that its a bad signing or anything, this years FA market didnt offer much, and James is a guy who can drop 30 plus points on any given night, but for once I'd like to see KG have a proper supporting cast. None of these half way jiffy signings that still leaves him at a first round exit.
Inspector Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #68
bagelred
Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf

Do you really think James believes that? You don't think that James believes he'll be a meaningful part of a winning team? James wouldn't sign in Minnesota if he didn't believe he could help make them a winner. Honestly, what player in the whole league signs somewhere and thinks "well, I'm going to be losing for a few years now" ?

Mike James just did....

Bye Mike...see ya in four years
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #69
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

bagel red go hang in the ghetto with handle the rock and the real next knick and brush up on your bball knowledge. It seems EVERY SINGLE KNICKS FAN just doesn't understand anything.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #70
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Mike James just did....

Bye Mike...see ya in four years
"Mike James just did?"

What does that even mean? How does that fit into the context of what we're discussing? How is that not just a stupid restatement of your opinion with absolutely no supporting facts or logic to back it up?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:28 PM   #71
FPower
Local High School Star

Quote:
But the guy chose a few extra bucks to play in Minnesota to lose for the next four years.....

To me, the difference between 18 million and 25 million is more than a "few bucks".

To put it into more easily conceivable salary terms, that's the difference between making 36000 a year, and making 50,000 a year. Bot are a decent living, but it's a significant difference.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #72
raiderfan19
Shazam!

This was a good signing. If you are building minny you have to believe that kg is better than dirk(because thats the only prayer you have of being good).(i dont believe he is but he is they guy they have to build around.) IF you believe that, James is very similar to jet and foye is better than anything the mavs have at the 2 while davis can be their jho. They need a C as the mavs Cs are more important to their success than people think but basically from what i can tell minny is trying to emulate dallas which they might as well do because it sure as hell beats staying the 10th best team in the conference. At the very least they have caught the lakers and grizz havent they?

Would minny be better off with an AI or pierce or something like that? Sure but they dont have the pieces for one of those moves without moving kg either.

Last edited by raiderfan19 : 07-11-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #73
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

1. Why model your team after another team when your pieces are hardly similar to theirs at all?

2. Ricky Davis is NOTHING like Josh Howard at all.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #74
raiderfan19
Shazam!

they arent the same player i understand that but they are both solid athletic swingmen. Ricky is better at creating his own shot and has better handles while josh is a better rebounder(which leads to putbacks) and defender. James is extremely similar to jet if he is as good as he was last year. Are the teams twins or anything? Not in the least. That said the twolves are setting themselves up to have many of the same strengths the mavs do.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #75
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

I wish Mike James the best of luck in Minnesota, though I do not to see them make the playoffs for obvious reasons.

I don't begrudge him a bit for his decision today. He probably picked the best situation for him from a basketball standpoint as well.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: