Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #121
final.wrath
Banned

Default Re: Misconceptions About Islam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
them vast majority of people are not ruled by our intellect but our emotions. sensible people can also cry when they hear love song that reminds them of a lost love that broke their heart when they were 16 years old

religion can also spur very powerful emotions in people at all sorts of levels

GOOD religion can actually keep the intellect as well as the will and emotions in check so the latter doesnt dominate one's life.

that is why i had asked about the intellectual traditions within islam in a previous post

myths are technically powerful accounts that shed light on mystery. story/metaphor can give wonderful order and purpose to our lives. many people equate myth with falsehood in todays world.

whatever one thinks of belief in God, it is to all our advantage to develop the aspects of religion that move our world toward wholeness/respect/justice/compassion

if you weigh the good and the bad religion has caused, you'll see a lot more strife and suffering than charity and progress.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #122
Sharas
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
if you weigh the good and the bad religion has caused, you'll see a lot more strife and suffering than charity and progress.

although i'm an atheist myself, i think bigger reason is human nature itself.

because it's what made us create religion. religion is a mirror of ourselves and our nature. it's just the excuse and not the reason.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #123
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
although i'm an atheist myself, i think bigger reason is human nature itself.

because it's what made us create religion. religion is a mirror of ourselves and our nature. it's just the excuse and not the reason.

Is it really human nature? Relegions at the basic scripture level seem to be perfectly good things promoting for the most part goodness. Howver relegious institutions have wronged humanity greatly. If relegion reflects human nature then we are inherintly good, not evil doers like the institutions who use relegion to rule people.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #124
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath

are you refering to islam in particular or all religions?
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:30 AM   #125
Sharas
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
Is it really human nature? Relegions at the basic scripture level seem to be perfectly good things promoting for the most part goodness. Howver relegious institutions have wronged humanity greatly. If relegion reflects human nature then we are inherintly good, not evil doers like the institutions who use relegion to rule people.

at basic scripture level, it's a great thing - and completely devoid from reality, i'd say.
but the way we really act, in real life, upon religion and its teachings (and that's BAD), shows off our true nature. it's again us ourselves that created those institutions that do wrong.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #126
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
at basic scripture level, it's a great thing - and completely devoid from reality, i'd say.
but the way we really act, in real life, upon religion and its teachings (and that's BAD), shows off our true nature. it's again us ourselves that created those institutions that do wrong.

interesting take, I would contend that basic human nature is, taking the easy way out. There are evil doers and good doers ( i am sure i just made up some words here) The evil doers have definely been more successfull in manipulating people to follow them. People who for the most part are neither good nor bad.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #127
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
CNN and all the other U.S news networks want you all to believe that the MiddleEast is full of terrorists..its a form of brainwashing..

So, is religion.

Anyway, onto my questions:

Are you a part of the religion because of your parents?
Why is it such a sh!tty religion?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: