Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-08-2007, 12:28 AM   #1
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here
Default American Beauty

Ok WTF!!!!

After watching this move, I feel like I completely MISSED something in the movie or the BIG PICTURE of the movie. I am still trying to figure it out.

-Be happy but use common sense hence the ending of the movie when Kevin Spacey was like, "wow i feel like a dick and i want things to be like they used to be."

-Dont screw people over.

Plus, I still cant figure out EXACTLY why the colonel killed kevin spacey. I mean he wasnt gay obviously so he wasnt getting sucked off. Maybe he saw the pot and figured he was keeping him in business so he was pissed at that. What conjectures do you all have?

EDIT: Why is the plastic bag scene considered one of the best movie scenes of all time?

Last edited by Hawker : 07-08-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
-primetime-

Default Re: American Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Ok WTF!!!!

After watching this move, I feel like I completely MISSED something in the movie or the BIG PICTURE of the movie. I am still trying to figure it out.

-Be happy but use common sense hence the ending of the movie when Kevin Spacey was like, "wow i feel like a dick and i want things to be like they used to be."

-Dont screw people over.

Plus, I still cant figure out EXACTLY why the colonel killed kevin spacey. I mean he wasnt gay obviously so he wasnt getting sucked off. Maybe he saw the pot and figured he was keeping him in business so he was pissed at that. What conjectures do you all have?

he killed him because he was ashamed of what he did...

the whole point of the movie is to show the different problems of life and how screwed up we can be...good movie
Old 07-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
he killed him because he was ashamed of what he did...

the whole point of the movie is to show the different problems of life and how screwed up we can be...good movie

he was ashamed of kissing him so he killed him? Interesting.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
TheBynumProject
Byonic

TheBynumProject has decent reputation

One of the best movies I have ever seen. Excellent depiction of a midlife crisis and the complexities of life that linger on far beyond your teenage years and early adulthood.

I think Spacey was shot becasue the colonel was so ashamed of what had happened, and was afraid he would tell others. Seems that simply asking Spacey to keep it quiet didn't occur to him in his panic.
TheBynumProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:46 AM   #5
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
he was ashamed of kissing him so he killed him? Interesting.

he was a repressed homosexual and hated that part of himself.

took it out on kevin spacey for bringing out those feelings in him and being the only person to know his secret.

the bag scene is pretentious. it talks about everyday beauty all around us. but in a pretentious way.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board

I love this movie.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:17 AM   #7
Selenium
Good High School Starter

Selenium is considered somewhat coolSelenium is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
he was a repressed homosexual and hated that part of himself.

took it out on kevin spacey for bringing out those feelings in him and being the only person to know his secret.

the bag scene is pretentious. it talks about everyday beauty all around us. but in a pretentious way.

Also he was going through a lot of pain due to his son, and probably felt a little jealous since Spacey had been receiving so much of his son's attention.

The plastic bag scene is meant to show you that anything and everything can be interpreted as beautiful. And when I really think about it, I truly believe that to be the case.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited by Selenium : 07-08-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Selenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:19 AM   #8
Hawker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenium
Also he was going through a lot of pain due to his son, and probably felt a little jealous since his Spacey had been receiving so much of his son's attention.

The plastic bag scene is meant to show you that anything and everything can be interpreted as beautiful. And when I really think about it, I truly believe that to be the case.

Ok, that's what I sort of got from it in that scene. The script was amazing too and I thought explained it perfectly. The plastic bag is pretty amazing how it just moves in the air like that.

Great movie. Good thing i bought it before i saw it.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:07 AM   #9
Lakers Legend#32
Decent college freshman

Lakers Legend#32 has decent reputation

Great movie and Annette Benning is gorgeous!
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:24 AM   #10
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Why is the plastic bag scene considered one of the best movie scenes of all time?

Uh, it's not. It's a ridiculously stupid scene, and it's a rather overrated movie.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:34 AM   #11
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Uh, it's not. It's a ridiculously stupid scene, and it's a rather overrated movie.

I definitely agree with that. There were parts that made me lol, like when he buys the Firebird and quits his job but the the whole film seemed way too pretentious and self-reflexive for my liking.

Like previously mentioned, the colonel was a repressed homosexual who hated everything homosexual. There was a whole combination of things that set him off though, the attempeted kiss, seeing his son "blow" Lester, the new gay neighbors, Lester's "admittance" to the blowjobs and probably several more I've forgotten.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: