Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-08-2007, 03:22 AM   #16
dudeguykid
High school junior varsity star

Default Re: OT: Top 10 NFL QBs of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
1. Joe Montana
2. John Elway
3. Terry Bradshaw
4. Roger Staubach
5. Tom Brady
6. Troy Aikman
7. Dan Marino (he has zero rings, that is why)
8. Johnny Unitas
9. Steve Young
10. Joe Namath

anyone want to dispute it?

Id probably have Steve Young up around where you have troy aikman right now. Did you lower him because he had Rice to throw to?
dudeguykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:29 AM   #17
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
No reason at all for Namath to be over Manning. None. Not like he won more. In fact he only played 3 playoff games his whole career. He won one ring. His career record was 77 wins 111 losses. And only in 2 of 15 seasons did he throw more TDs than picks. Hes got 173 career TDs and 220+ picks. His career completion percentage is only 50%. Rex Grossman just got killed all year with a 55% completion percentage. Namath NEVER got to even 53%.

Manning has more MVPs, more probowls, about 16 NFL records, a way waaaay higher career win percentage, better TD numbers, pick numbers, completion numbers, and has played and won more playoff games.

Joe Namath is one of the most overrated athletes(if not things period) in history. In fact he was voted just that(#1 most overrated all time) by espn a while back.

Zero reason to be over Manning who at this point is basically Dan Marino plus a ring.
Namoth was clutch

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.5.html

his Super Bowl win is more impresive than Mannings...and he didn't have a Harrison. There is no reason to put Peyton in over Namath at this moment in time...maybe next year.

btw...he has a long way to go before being called "Dan Marino with a ring"...
Old 07-08-2007, 03:31 AM   #18
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeguykid
Id probably have Steve Young up around where you have troy aikman right now. Did you lower him because he had Rice to throw to?
Aikman has 3 rings....Young has one

Aikman had Irvin and Young had Rice...I guess Young was more mobile but Aikman was more accurate...

Young was amazing but Aikman had a better career...
Old 07-08-2007, 03:57 AM   #19
Celts34
Kiss my converse!!!

There is no reason that Roger Staubach and Terry Bradshaw should be on the top ten All-time QB list. Not ahead of Favre, or Marino, or even Brady or Manning.

Terry Bradshaw maybe the most overrated superbowl winning QB not named namath. Bradshaw has got more career interceptions then touchdowns, and was repeatedly benched during his career w/the steelers. The steelers defense was so dominant back then, that he could go out there and throw 4 or 5 picks in a game, and lose 2 or 3 fumbles. and the Steelers would still win. Staubach was an excellent player but no way should he be up there that high.

And Peyton Manning' career(now that he has a ring) is much more similiar to steve Young then marino. And I've always thought the Young comparison was better then the Marino one.
Celts34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:58 AM   #20
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
There is no reason to put Peyton in over Namath at this moment in time...maybe next year.

No reason aside from who played football best. You want a QB to lose waaaaaay more than he won....only play 3 playoff games in 15 years....complete less passes than Rex Grossman....and have far far more picks than TDs...fine. But Joe Namath is hardly more accomplished than Brad Johnson. More of his passes went to the other team than the endzone. He lost way more than he won....and his legacy is built off one win he predicted. Not how well he played that game. Was a defensive game. The 2 combined TDs are still the lowest in superbowl history and he didnt throw either of them.

In 2 of his 3 playoff games he didnt even throw a TD. His one superbowl was his only good passing of the 3 games too. His other two playoff games? He threw 14 of 40 with 3 picks and no TD and 19 of 49 with a pick and 3tds. That was really his best playoff game ever. Manning has won literally 4 times as many playoff games.

Namath was neither very clutch or very good on an all time level. Hes just a flashy personality who played in NY and made a bold comment. By no standard is he the equal of Manning.

Joe Namath being ranked over Manning is like putting Chauncey Billups over Isiah Thomas. Only Billups has more than one good moment in his career and Manning is closer to being the GOAT of his sport than Isiah is in his. So in a way...its a lot worse than putting Billups over Isiah.

Last edited by Kblaze8855 : 07-08-2007 at 04:11 AM.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:10 AM   #21
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celts34
There is no reason that Roger Staubach and Terry Bradshaw should be on the top ten All-time QB list. Not ahead of Favre, or Marino, or even Brady or Manning.

Terry Bradshaw maybe the most overrated superbowl winning QB not named namath. Bradshaw has got more career interceptions then touchdowns, and was repeatedly benched during his career w/the steelers. The steelers defense was so dominant back then, that he could go out there and throw 4 or 5 picks in a game, and lose 2 or 3 fumbles. and the Steelers would still win. Staubach was an excellent player but no way should he be up there that high.

And Peyton Manning' career(now that he has a ring) is much more similiar to steve Young then marino. And I've always thought the Young comparison was better then the Marino one.

you can't win 4 superbowls and suck....Bradshaw was great...

Roger was one of the most moblie QB in the NFL and is comparable to Montana himself

If you want to talk about INTs then we can talk about how Farve is 4 away from the having the most ints in the history of the NFL...

it would be a travisty to put Farve or Peyton ahead of terry and Roger...just stop it
Old 07-08-2007, 04:17 AM   #22
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Farve is about to have the most everything in the history of QBs. Hes either #1 or 2 in completions, yards, touchdowns, and attempts. Brett being that high on the INT list is a matter of games played. Bradshaw threw more INTs per game despite throwing less passes.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:18 AM   #23
-primetime-

Quote:
No reason aside from who played football best. You want a QB to lose waaaaaay more than he won....only play 3 playoff games in 15 years....complete less passes than Rex Grossman....and have far far more picks than TDs...fine. But Joe Namath is hardly more accomplished than Brad Johnson. More of his passes went to the other team than the endzone. He lost way more than he won....and his legacy is built off one win he predicted. Not how well he played that game. Was a defensive game. The 2 combined TDs are still the lowest in superbowl history and he didnt throw either of them.

In 2 of his 3 playoff games he didnt even throw a TD. His one superbowl was his only good passing of the 3 games too. His other two playoff games? He threw 14 of 40 with 3 picks and no TD and 19 of 49 with a pick and 3tds. That was really his best playoff game ever. Manning has won literally 4 times as many playoff games.

Namath was neither very clutch or very good on an all time level. Hes just a flashy personality who played in NY and made a bold comment. By no standard is he the equal of Manning.

Joe Namath being ranked over Manning is like putting Chauncey Billups over Isiah Thomas. Only Billups has more than one good moment in his career and Manning is closer to being the GOAT of his sport than Isiah is in his. So in a way...its a lot worse than pupping Billups over Isiah.

you make a good arguement here...

my list is based largley off of career acomplishments thus I have Bradshaw ranked so high but one could argue that Peyton is more skilled....Namath was a good QB you make him out to be Rex Grossman...he won what is probably the biggest game in the history of the NFL...he is a legend, however I could see how someone would put Manning in over him....when it comes down to it if I had to pick one of the two I would pick Manning...I just feel as though Namath has accomplished more thus far...Manning will be top ten when he retires, maybe even top 5.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:21 AM   #24
-primetime-

Quote:
Farve is about to have the most everything in the history of QBs. Hes either #1 or 2 in completions, yards, touchdowns, and attempts. Brett being that high on the INT list is a matter of games played. Bradshaw threw more INTs per game despite throwing less passes.
yeah but Bradshaw had a better career...

I need to make a top 15 list...

it would be something like this

11. Manning
12. Farve
13. Kelly
14. Sims
15. Moon

you do have me questioning putting Peyton in at ten right now though...I am still thinking it is too early for that though
Old 07-08-2007, 04:27 AM   #25
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Accomplished more what? What is there to accomplish on a football field that Joe did more of? Win? No. Numbers? No. Dominance? No.

I think its just a legend thing. namath may be a bigger legend because of a 3 second quote to a reporter and winning a single game. But if how well the two play football is at al lfactored in....Joe really cant be this high on a list.

Remove every element aside from playing football and Joe is top 10.

Bradshaw I think has a better case. At least he satepped up and straight dominated some superbowls. And while his defense really is reason they won...he played a big role. He hurt them as much as helped sometimes. But he deserves to be ranked over Joe. Terry has my respect even if he is a bit overrated.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:32 AM   #26
-primetime-

Quote:
Accomplished more what? What is there to accomplish on a football field that Joe did more of? Win? No. Numbers? No. Dominance? No.

I think its just a legend thing. namath may be a bigger legend because of a 3 second quote to a reporter and winning a single game. But if how well the two play football is at al lfactored in....Joe really cant be this high on a list.

Remove every element aside from playing football and Joe is top 10.

Bradshaw I think has a better case. At least he satepped up and straight dominated some superbowls. And while his defense really is reason they won...he played a big role. He hurt them as much as helped sometimes. But he deserves to be ranked over Joe. Terry has my respect even if he is a bit overrated.

ok....the more I think about this the more I am realizing that you are in fact correct.

i do however think that you are under-rating him...you act as though he sucked

here is an ESPN top ten list

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1930076

Namath got more votes than Young and Aikman...

I think there is something to his "legend" factor that you speak of though....I will swap him with Manning....you are correct here I think.

man...that felt not right to put Peyton in over Namath....but I guess that is what needed to be done....
Old 07-08-2007, 04:35 AM   #27
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
yeah but Bradshaw had a better career...

I need to make a top 15 list...

it would be something like this

11. Manning
12. Farve
13. Kelly
14. Sims
15. Moon

you do have me questioning putting Peyton in at ten right now though...I am still thinking it is too early for that though

If Peyton retires right now hes the holder of at least 16 NFL records and is top 10 in TDs and completions with the #2 passer rating of all time and one of the best win percentages in nfl history. Hes a HOF lock. I dont think its too early to give him a ranking. Hes not getting any better. Another all time great season(like his last 5) wont do much to me.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:40 AM   #28
-primetime-

I am also starting to wonder if i should flip flop Terry and Roger.....that is a tough one

I think I will though
Old 07-08-2007, 04:41 AM   #29
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
1. Joe Montana
2. John Elway
3. Terry Bradshaw
4. Roger Staubach
5. Tom Brady
6. Troy Aikman
7. Dan Marino (he has zero rings, that is why)
8. Johnny Unitas
9. Steve Young
10. Joe Namath

Take Staubach, Brady, Aikman, and Namath off the list and it's not bad... You can't really go wrong if you put either Elway, Montana, Unitas or Marino at #1. Ever hear of guys like Tarkenton, Fouts, and Jurgensen?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:43 AM   #30
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Take Staubach, Brady, Aikman, and Namath off the list and it's not bad... You can't really go wrong if you put either Elway, Montana, Unitas or Marino at #1. Ever hear of guys like Tarkenton, Fouts, and Jurgensen?
yes I have...and Aikman, Brady, and Staubach are better

Namath has been removed though in favor of Manning
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: