Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #76
-primetime-

Default Re: OT: Top 10 NFL QBs of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
I don't get this comparison by accomplishments over dominance. Was Trent Dilfer a better QB when the Ravens won than Peyton Manning? This is not basketball where having one good player can take you to the finals (a la Bron) you need a balanced squad to win. I just don't understand any system where being the best most dominant performing in the league is trumped by winning under those circumstances.
if Dilfer was the only QB in the NFL to win 4 Super Bowls then the answer is YES
Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #77
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

A much better list (in no particular order):

Dan Marino
John Elway
Joe Montana
Brett Favre
Johnny Unitas
Fran Tarkenton
Dan Fouts
Peyton Manning
Sonny Jurgensen
Steve Young

Tarkenton >>> Aikman
Fouts >> Brady
Favre >> Bradshaw
Jurgensen > Staubach

Last edited by Jackass18 : 07-10-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #78
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
if Dilfer was the only QB in the NFL to win 4 Super Bowls then the answer is YES

I don't care if Dilfer won 6 super bowls you would never be able to convince me he's as good as a Favre, Manning, probably even a McNabb or Moon. Titles aren't everything.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #79
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
I don't care if Dilfer won 6 super bowls you would never be able to convince me he's as good as a Favre, Manning, probably even a McNabb or Moon. Titles aren't everything.
but they ARE something....

QBs play the game for rings...not numbers

If Jim Kelly would have won all 4 Super Bowls he played in he would be considered top 5 easy...but he lost those 4 games....so he isn't even top 10

rings matter....period
Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #80
ilovetoplayball
I airball my layups

ilovetoplayball has an OK reputation so far

my home town hero joe theismen wheres he at???????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????
ilovetoplayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 PM   #81
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoplayball
my home town hero joe theismen wheres he at???????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????
he is here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i_bJv_0z-k

the slow-mo is so hard to watch
Old 07-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #82
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
If Jim Kelly would have won all 4 Super Bowls he played in he would be considered top 5 easy...but he lost those 4 games....so he isn't even top 10

That's my beef with rings and how valuable they are in everyones mind when determining who the greatest is in football.

In basketball its a different thing, because one player truly has the oppurtunity to put his stamp on a game...much more than a quarterback in football. Hell the QB only plays a half the game, the other half he's sitting down on the bench.

You abouslutly need great players around you in football to succeed and win a championship. The best player in football doesn't entitle you to a .500 record; not even 5 wins. In basketball it's different... a basketball player can effect the game in all facets, leaving much more room to leave his stamp on it.

That's why team oriented awards in football, such as rings, shouldn't be factored in nearly as much when making an all-time list.

Jim Kelly was Jim Kelly, four rings or one...or none. Just like Peyton is Peyton...I feel he's no "greater" or "better" because he has a ring now. The fact of the matter is that it took a superb team effort for a ring... nothing that Peyton did or did not do.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #83
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
That's my beef with rings and how valuable they are in everyones mind when determining who the greatest is in football.

In basketball its a different thing, because one player truly has the oppurtunity to put his stamp on a game...much more than a quarterback in football. Hell the QB only plays a half the game, the other half he's sitting down on the bench.

You abouslutly need great players around you in football to succeed and win a championship. The best player in football doesn't entitle you to a .500 record; not even 5 wins. In basketball it's different... a basketball player can effect the game in all facets, leaving much more room to leave his stamp on it.

That's why team oriented awards in football, such as rings, shouldn't be factored in nearly as much when making an all-time list.

Jim Kelly was Jim Kelly, four rings or one...or none. Just like Peyton is Peyton...I feel he's no "greater" or "better" because he has a ring now. The fact of the matter is that it took a superb team effort for a ring... nothing that Peyton did or did not do.
my point was that he would be considered top 5 had he won all those Super Bowls

by both you and me...

rings should be factored in as much as Basketball, you are correct

but for a QB ranking they should be factored
Old 07-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #84
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You factor them way, way, way too much. Tarkenton isn't top 10 simply because he doesn't have a ring? That's garbage. Put him on those Bradshaw Steelers teams or Montana Niners teams and he has at least 3. And, what about Otto Graham? If you want success, then it's Otto Graham.

Last edited by Jackass18 : 07-10-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #85
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
You factor them way, way, way too much. Tarkenton isn't top 10 simply because he doesn't have a ring? That's garbage. Put him on those Bradshaw Steelers teams or Montana Niners teams and he has at least 3.
I have Montana ranked #1....

Tarkenton was great....top 15
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: