Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #31
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Most important positions in order for team success

I think it's wholly dependent on where your #1 star plays.

For instance, if your #1 star player is a point guard, you need finishers around the hoop the most, and least need a high-scoring, high volume, shooting guard
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #32
rising_suns_2008
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I think the success of a team does depend on the skills of each position. These are my order:

1. PG (Sets plays for other players)
2. C (Be able to be a presence inside the paint and score from passes from the play maker)
3. SG (shooters are big key component in a basketball game, otherwise without scoring, you cannot win)
4. PF (I know defence wins games, but yea PF is another contributing position that needs to be taken into consideration)
5. SF (a 3 position that can help distribute the ball and play with 1 and 2)

Overall, the PG is the catalyst of a basketball team, been able to create opportunities for other players and making them better.... There is no other player that sets an example in this scenario - STEVE NASH.....

:)
rising_suns_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #33
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Which is why Phoenix has all of those Championships, right?
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #34
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Pierce and Anthony can light up most sfs and sgs down low but ibut don't get that confused with them being true post players. Guys like Tim Duncan, Shaq (well, sometimes, he's on the decline) and the truly great post scorers canm often score even on doubles. But if Pierce or Anthony runs into a big like Jermaine O'Neal the only thing they can do is pass. Playing with better shooters would help but Pierce just had Delonte West, Wally Szczerbiak, and Gerald Green, so it's not like there's been no shooting. As for Anthony. the bigs in Denver can rebound and defend and JR Smith is an ok shooter. Not to mention that Allen Iverson guy that might even be better than him overall. So it's not like the guy is out there with no help.

I think I pretty much said all that, but there's no denying that they're one of the worst outside shooting teams in the league, thus hurting his assists and hurting his scoring aswell. And as I said floor spacing is undeniably important or essential to team success.

And truth of the matter is whether or not they can score in the block against only sg/sfs is irrelivant, they're still getting easy shots off of mismatches and creating offense from the interior to either the perimeter for open shots, or getting the ability to make dumpoff passes if bigs come over to help. And almost like Duncan Carmelo a nice amount of the time can score on a double or score before the double gets there or get fouled on the double (again almost like, not just like), and again can acrobatically make dumpoff passes to their big that most bigs can't make when a guy like Jermaine comes over to help.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #35
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Center
Point Gaurd
Shooting Gaurd
Small Foward
Power Foward
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #36
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

I agree with 'the answer ' as well as 'the bank shot'

However IMO even though the NBA is deep a team starts with a go to guy.
As so many media and fan's call players All-Stars , the Mega Star is the ultimate player to build FROM.
So I base the starting point NOT at (1) but at talent.
Don't care what position that is because it's the Club's decision to build around that talent.
If you do not have inside presence , only out side poppers occur , but you need out side poppers to open the inside also.
Balance - and that was what Larry Bird had built around him.
This is the exception to the rule , but Boston built a hell of a team around Bird 6' 10" SF , Parrish low post 7' C , and then Mchale 6'10" PF.
It was hard to figure how 3 bigs could rotate down on the blocks , but Parrish went weak side , to allow Mchale to do his stuff.
So once your team 'franchise player' shows :
1) Center to fill the needs in the PAINT
2) PF for weak side help
3) PG to get the ball to your side & play DEFENSE - fast breaks
4) SG - because you need a weapon outside
5) SF to play strong side offense pop/slice and weak side DEFENSE
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #37
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
I think I pretty much said all that, but there's no denying that they're one of the worst outside shooting teams in the league, thus hurting his assists and hurting his scoring aswell. And as I said floor spacing is undeniably important or essential to team success.

And truth of the matter is whether or not they can score in the block against only sg/sfs is irrelivant, they're still getting easy shots off of mismatches and creating offense from the interior to either the perimeter for open shots, or getting the ability to make dumpoff passes if bigs come over to help. And almost like Duncan Carmelo a nice amount of the time can score on a double or score before the double gets there or get fouled on the double (again almost like, not just like), and again can acrobatically make dumpoff passes to their big that most bigs can't make when a guy like Jermaine comes over to help.
Funny that you bring up Tim Duncan. Tim Duncan is surrounded by a supporting cast that's actually inferior to Anthony's. No other Spur can touch Iverson (certainly not Parker), Camby is better than the other bigs (and Hilario may be as well), and although Ginobili is better than Smith it's not a huge difference. So why are the Spurs so much better? Camby isn't Duncan's equal on d but he does defend at a high level. It's not just the "great" (not really) Spurs shooting, Carmelo Anthony is not on par with TD as a scorer in the paint. He isn't even close. He can not go over bigs nearly as well. This shouldn't even be a discussion point.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #38
TheHonestTruth
Banned

After Michael Jordon, it's a SG because Stern pretty much jacks off to athletic SGs and will do anything in his power to let them win championships.
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #39
maracle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestTruth
After Michael Jordon, it's a SG because Stern pretty much jacks off to athletic SGs and will do anything in his power to let them win championships.

Then why hasn't Kobe won without Shaq?

I think Point Guards are most important...it's very rare to see a championship team with a crappy PG.

Jordan proved that you can win without a big man...so that takes Centers and Power Forwards out of the question...although Ron Harper wasnt all that great so Jordan just screws up most of our statements of Centers and Point Guards being most important anyway...
maracle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #40
TheHonestTruth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maracle10
Then why hasn't Kobe won without Shaq?

Because he raped that girl in Colorado. Stern was worried if he kept supporting Kobe, the league will lose faith in him.

Anyway, Wade is an athletic SG too.
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #41
Phenith
NBA Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
it isn't so much about positions, but skills.

You need a

Go-to scorer
playmaker
inside presence (offense + defense)
shooting
rebounding
perimeter defense

in that order

This is the best answer in this post, bravo.
Phenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #42
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Default Re: Most important positions for a team to address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh
But then i thought about it and it just seemed too hard for me figure out, because you look at what Tim Duncan is doing at PF (or is he playing Center?).

Don't mean to open a can of worms but....defensively he is the guy in the center of the zone. Otherwise its up for grabs.

All in all, we overanalyze the position stuff. You just need matchups that are advantagous to your team. Big guys can be more solid more easily, but that doesn't mean they always are. Gotta look at matchups.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #43
maracle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestTruth
Because he raped that girl in Colorado. Stern was worried if he kept supporting Kobe, the league will lose faith in him.

Anyway, Wade is an athletic SG too.

so besides wade...who is stern losing sperm over?
maracle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #44
KWALI
erudite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Your "inside presence" on offense and defense isn't going to come from your sg. Certain positions provide those skills, and the thread creator is just asking to rank those positions.

On offense inside presence can come from anyone see: Michael Jordan....and even Boston's own Paul Peirce.....also guys like Ak-47 JOsh SMith and Gerald Wallace on D although that's a bit of a stretch.
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #45
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
On offense inside presence can come from anyone see: Michael Jordan....and even Boston's own Paul Peirce.....also guys like Ak-47 JOsh SMith and Gerald Wallace on D although that's a bit of a stretch.
Paul Pierce isn't a true inside presence. He gets the majority of his points on jumpers and free throws and really only posts up when he beats the center down the floor. Michael Jordan is an extreme rarity...and I'm not going to comment on the Gerald Wallace thing.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: