Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Comments on various Spike Lee Films

i havent seen all of the movies that spike lee has
directed, but i have seen most of them.

i think he is a very good director and social

gadfly at the same time. i dont think most people

understand this man and what he has tried to get

the american people to see over the years

what is your favorite spike lee films? why?

here is a partial list of his works:
  • she's gotta have it
  • clockers
  • malcolm x
  • do the right thing
  • mo better blues
  • girls 6
  • 4 little girls
  • get on the bus
  • jungle fever
  • crooklyn
  • get on the bus
  • he got game
  • summer of sam
  • The Original Kings of Comedy
  • bamboozled
  • she hate me
  • 25th hour
  • Jesus Children of America
  • When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts
  • Come Rain or Come Shine
  • Inside Man
i will comment later on various spike films but for

now, since this is ish, i will assume that most all

of us have seen

"he got game"

as a ray allen fan, it was great to see a

basketball movie who actually had a REAL player.

ray did a marvelous job with his role and the crash

course he had in acting

but this movie is much more complex than being a

basketball story

to me, it is a story about father-son relationships

and the complexity of the african american

experience and hurt in them

and it also addresses the hypocrisy of the ncaa and

the exploitation of athletes and how that machine

foments greed at many levels

RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
gb8
Extra Cheese

gb8 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Comments on various Spike Lee Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
i havent seen all of the movies that spike lee has
directed, but i have seen most of them.

i think he is a very good director and social

gadfly at the same time. i dont think most people

understand this man and what he has tried to get

the american people to see over the years

here is a partial list of his works:
  • she's gotta have it
  • clockers
  • malcolm x
  • do the right thing
  • mo better blues
  • girls 6
  • 4 little girls
  • get on the bus
  • jungle fever
  • crooklyn
  • get on the bus
  • he got game
  • summer of sam
  • The Original Kings of Comedy
  • bamboozled
  • she hate me
  • 25th hour
  • Jesus Children of America
  • When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts
  • Come Rain or Come Shine
  • Inside Man
i will comment later on various spike films but for

now, since this is ish, i will assume that most all

of us have seen

"he got game"

as a ray allen fan, it was great to see a

basketball movie who actually had a REAL player.

ray did a marvelous job with his role and the crash

course he had in acting

but this movie is much more complex than being a

basketball story

to me, it is a story about father-son relationships

and the complexity of the african american

experience and hurt in them

and it also addresses the hypocrisy of the ncaa and

the exploitation of athletes and how that machine

foments greed at many levels

Great topic, Spike is a great director, will try and write in this thread with some of my opinions bit later.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
JtotheIzzo
Cavs eh? Ok then!

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

top three:

do the right thing
get on the bus
summer of sam
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Lakers Legend#32
Decent college freshman

Lakers Legend#32 has decent reputation

I have seen 12 of Spike's movies and always look forward to what he is doing next.

Check ou the little seen Bamboozled, it may not be might favorite Spike movie, but it is certainly his most unfairly overlooked film.
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I really liked Bamboozled. I'm often surprised at how much I like it considering how annoying Micheal Rappaport is, and how Damon Wayne's is playing in an almost cartoon character over the type kind of way.

I'm also a big Summer of Sam fan, but I also read a ton of true crime, so I may be a little biased. It's a huge atmosphere flick. It's more about the surrounding environment then the killer. Zodiac reminded me of it, but Zodiac was a bit more focused.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

School Daze because it was an accurate depiction of the sterotypes that EXIST today. The ending needs to be replayed from time to time. WAAAAKE UP! The movie also gave someone a sense of wanting to go to college, be in a frat, soror, be opposed to them even. Just made you want to be apart, experience the college lifestyle. Those who have and could relate to what was in School Daze it made you think back. That said Spike delivers numerous messages one can take away from it, reflect, learn and it applies today.

I love mostly all of Spike movies. Cant think of the ones I dont like but can list ones I do.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

I love Spike Lee films. While his most important of couse was X, my favorite is Crooklyn. A lack family from the early 1970's living in NYC, it was just great.

She's Gotta Have It
Do the Right Thing
'Mo Better Blues
Girl 6
Get on the Bus
Jungle Fever
He Got Game
The Original Kings of Comedy
Bamboozled
School Daze
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
top three:

do the right thing
get on the bus
summer of sam

i saw do the right thing in los angeles when it first came out. i thought it was masterful in the way it captured the complexity of relationship between mookie and sal in the midst of the other racially tense relationships in ny

the film engaged all of us in the conversation with its ending-- almost like having to choose sides-- the mlk way of the malcolm x way

this was edgy stuff for 1989
Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default upcoming Spike Lee Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Legend#32
I have seen 12 of Spike's movies and always look forward to what he is doing next.

Check ou the little seen Bamboozled, it may not be might favorite Spike movie, but it is certainly his most unfairly overlooked film.

Mariah Carey aims to spoof herself and her life in the upcoming film short, Lovers & H@ters.

The Spike Lee directed flick, to be produced by 40 Acres & A Mule Filmworks, is a spoof of the life of Carey, with the 'lovers and h@ters' that she encounters along the way, and how she overcomes those obstacles to still be one of the most talented and loved musical sensations in history.
Lee also directed similar vignettes that became video features during Carey's 2006 tour The Adventures of Mimi.

Carey worked alongside Benny Medina as executive producer on the 15 minute, $5 million film short.

AP
Spike Lee's Next Movie To Highlight Black Soldiers In WWII

ROME (July 3, 2007) -- Spike Lee announced plans Tuesday to make a movie about the struggle against Nazi occupiers in Italy during World War II that he hopes will highlight the contribution of black American soldiers who fought and died to liberate Europe.
The film will spotlight the courage of black soldiers who, despite suffering discrimination back home, offered a contribution that has so far gone largely unnoticed in other Hollywood movies, Lee said.
"We have black people who are fighting for democracy who at the same time are classified as second-class citizens," the 50-year-old filmmaker said. "That is why I'd like to do a film to show how these brave black men, despite all the hardship they were going through, still pushed that aside and fought for the greater good."
Based on the novel "Miracle at St. Anna" by James McBride, the movie will tell the story of four black American soldiers, all members of the Army's all-black 92nd "Buffalo Soldier" Division, who are trapped behind enemy lines in an Italian village in Tuscany in 1944.
Filming is planned in Tuscany, Rome and the United States, Lee said.
Shooting is expected to start early next year, said producer Roberto Cicutto. Cicutto said the movie will cost $45 million.
"This is a wonderful story and what makes it even more wonderful is that it is based upon true incidents," Lee said. "If you look at the history of Hollywood, the black soldiers who fought World War II are invisible."
The film will also look at the relationship between the soldiers and the villagers, some of whom are partisans.
"We had good relationships with the Italian people, they gave us a lot of information," recalled 82-year-old William Perry who, at 19, was an infantry soldier in the Buffalo Division.
"I'm not a hero, the heroes are those buried in the American cemetery in Florence. I hope this movie will put a positive spin on some of our activities here," Perry said.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #10
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
I love Spike Lee films. While his most important of couse was X, my favorite is Crooklyn. A lack family from the early 1970's living in NYC, it was just great.

as you probably know, crooklyn was semi-autobiographical for spike and his own experiences as a kid
Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

She's Gotta Have It and School Daze are easily my favorite Spike films. I only saw School Daze after my freshman year at an HBCU, and the movie is accurate. It is probably the most accurate portrayal of campus life in the history of American Cinema. Most college films present unrealistic views of college life, and leave impressionable teens disappointed when they hit campus.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
blasian
The Afrocentric Asian

blasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation here

Malcolm X is my favorite film of his. His most underrated film imo is Get on the Bus
blasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
blasian
The Afrocentric Asian

blasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
She's Gotta Have It and School Daze are easily my favorite Spike films. I only saw School Daze after my freshman year at an HBCU, and the movie is accurate. It is probably the most accurate portrayal of campus life in the history of American Cinema. Most college films present unrealistic views of college life, and leave impressionable teens disappointed when they hit campus.

I found She's Gotta Have It to be very problematic. It was promoted as being a film about sexuality from a black female perspective yet in reality, the perspective of the film was largely from a male point of view. I also had a problem with the rape scene.
blasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #14
NastaMaverick
College superstar

NastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Talking Re: Comments on various Spike Lee Films

I've only seen He Got Game.
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Do The Right Thing is prolly his best, but most of the early ones are good.

Lately he lost his touch though. 25th hour? Inside Man? Those were trash.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: