Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #31
blasian
The Afrocentric Asian

blasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Comments on various Spike Lee Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Do The Right Thing was great, but I think a lot of people have some of the subtleties of the character interactions go over their heads.

what do u mean?

oh, and I'm glad that you upped this thread. After seeing it recently, I think that 4 Little Girls should be placed in the discussion more often when it comes to Lee's best films. One of the most powerful documentaries I've ever seen.
blasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #32
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

He's had some bad experiences with Italians.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #33
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

The movie is based around the relationships between people and the irony of alot of their thought processes.

like the guy who loves Prince and Michael (because their not N*ggers even though they are black, they have been accepted by this guy as OK)

If you listen to him speak, you see how absurd his thought process is... Plenty of this goes on throughout the movie...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #34
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Easily Clockers. A lot of his other stuff I'm not as hot on. Summer of Sam was cool at the time. As far as Clockers go it's hard to f*ck an incredible story up. Richard Price is the reason Clockers is what it is. I'd strongly suggest if you enjoyed the movie to go ahead and read the book. Also casting Delroy Lindo never hurts.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #35
emsteez forreal
iWANNAgoHIGHER.

emsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation here

malcolm x is not getting enough love at all in this thread . by far his best film, after that my personal favorites are white men can't jump and do the right thing .
emsteez forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #36
blasian
The Afrocentric Asian

blasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsteez forreal
malcolm x is not getting enough love at all in this thread . by far his best film, after that my personal favorites are white men can't jump and do the right thing .

Spike didnt do that one. Pretty sure it was a white guy who directed it
blasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #37
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasian
what do u mean?

oh, and I'm glad that you upped this thread. After seeing it recently, I think that 4 Little Girls should be placed in the discussion more often when it comes to Lee's best films. One of the most powerful documentaries I've ever seen.
Nearly everyone who I have talked to about this film actually identifies one or more prominent characters as villains, they put their own prejudices on top of the characters. I don't think this movie has a bad guy in it at all, excepting the pigs of course. It is a movie full of characters that are trying to live and work in a neighborhood with a changing cultural landscape.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #38
emsteez forreal
iWANNAgoHIGHER.

emsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasian
Spike didnt do that one. Pretty sure it was a white guy who directed it

i meant he got game . got basketball movies mixed up
emsteez forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #39
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Lamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

took some pretty strong acid in college and watched "Do the Right Thing" and "Fist of the Northstar", blew my mind.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #40
ikoiko
Local High School Star

ikoiko has decent reputationikoiko has decent reputation

INSIDE MAN is really underrated. GET ON THE BUS too.
ikoiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #41
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoiko
INSIDE MAN is really underrated. GET ON THE BUS too.

i didnt see inside man; i enjoyed get on the bus though!

the miracle of st anna was a decent film but got bogged down with a couple of subplots that made it too long
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #42
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I was jealous of all of the characters in Get on the Bus. I wanted to go to the march, but could not make the trip. It was a combination of age, and my mother's dislike of Farrakhan. I have friends who went, and they found the event to be life-changing.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #43
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

He got game.

Truly displays how anger and frustration can eat people up.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #44
ShawnieMac06
High School Varsity 6th Man

ShawnieMac06 has an OK reputation so far

By the way, Ron Shelton directed White Men Can't Jump.

As far as Spike Lee, I've seen these films:

She's Gotta Have It
Do The Right Thing
Jungle Fever
Mo Better Blues
Malcolm X
He Got Game
Crooklyn
Girl 6
Bamboomzled
She Hate Me
The Original Kings of Comedy
When the Leeves Broke (the HBO documentary about Hurricane Katrina)

The ones in bold are my favorites of his.

I've seen bits and pieces of School Daze, Clockers and Inside Man, but not enough to really have an opinion.
ShawnieMac06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #45
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I've seen bits and pieces of School Daze, Clockers and Inside Man, but not enough to really have an opinion.

Do yourself a favor and see all 3. Especially the first two. I wanna punch you in the nose and make both eyes tear up for you saying "...seen bits n pieces". How? Who does that!? lol
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: