Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 07-12-2006, 12:07 AM   #31
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

If Foyle started next to Kevin Garnett, he wouldn't look that overpaid at all.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:07 AM   #32
TruNbaAnalyst
I airball my layups

TruNbaAnalyst has an OK reputation so far

ok you really cleared you point by telling me what each player is.....ok maybe not... You talked about players the knicks had alrdy aka marbury etc. i said i agreed on the kmart trade... but giving up frye to get foyle. COMe on. CURRY IS 24 i think.. he's going to get nasty regardless. And Frye has the potential to become a really big role player which is far greater than having a back up center who wont teach curry what he needs to learn which is to use his body effectively and not have 2-3 offensive fouls a game. You overrated everyone in your explantion. Darius miles is a risk and you have a hustler in david lee who will outdo mikki moore anyday. Besides jalen rose is a better player and you keep the expiring contract and make trades in feb. which is when the knicks should be doing most of their trades because they will get much more for their players. Im confident that in feb. though your trades are not bad, the knicks will get more for the players you talked about trading come FEB. Thats when the expiring contracts will pick up in value and teams playing badly are more likely to make trades that would benefit the other team to make a difference. I truly dont believe in your 2 and 3 trade but even so they can get far more in FEB.
TruNbaAnalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:13 AM   #33
TheReturnofCed
The Real Ced

TheReturnofCed is starting to rub some people the wrong wayTheReturnofCed is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruNbaAnalyst
ok you really cleared you point by telling me what each player is.....ok maybe not... You talked about players the knicks had alrdy aka marbury etc. i said i agreed on the kmart trade... but giving up frye to get foyle. COMe on. CURRY IS 24 i think.. he's going to get nasty regardless. And Frye has the potential to become a really big role player which is far greater than having a back up center who wont teach curry what he needs to learn which is to use his body effectively and not have 2-3 offensive fouls a game. You overrated everyone in your explantion. Darius miles is a risk and you have a hustler in david lee who will outdo mikki moore anyday. Besides jalen rose is a better player and you keep the expiring contract and make trades in feb. which is when the knicks should be doing most of their trades because they will get much more for their players. Im confident that in feb. though your trades are not bad, the knicks will get more for the players you talked about trading come FEB. Thats when the expiring contracts will pick up in value and teams playing badly are more likely to make trades that would benefit the other team to make a difference. I truly dont believe in your 2 and 3 trade but even so they can get far more in FEB.

So how many wins would you expect from my Knicks team?

And who would be a goal for you at the trade deadline?
TheReturnofCed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:25 AM   #34
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
3 players that have played to their potential:
1. Kenyon Martin was an allstar, and is a capable player. He should be an all-D defender. And could be on this team.
he had afew good years with kidd but since then he's nothing but overpaid trash. And you said could be, so can swift but you don't see him doing it.

Quote:
2. Stephon Marbury has been an allstar a few times, and is a good point guard when his heart is set on it. Still has career averages of 20 and 8. The type of player that just needs the right pieces around hi mto succeed.
being an allstar doesn't mean ****, the guy has potential to be the best pg in the leage, he's got a great body and if a guy like stave nash can win the mvp, he should be the GOAT.
he doesn't play any defense(being as strong as he is he should shut down other pgs) and is a horrible leader.

Quote:
3. Jamal Crawford, finally showing his potential for coach Brown. A pesky defender, adept ball handler and an ever improving shooter. The best is yet to come.
again i aksed for player who played to their potential, crawford had no more than 10 good games last season, and didn't play much D so don't try to call him pesky. his jupshot was always there and he should be an alstar but he's too inconsistent.

Quote:
3 players that have done something with their careers:
1. Kenyon Martin has two finals appearences as a starting power forward.
I'll give you that one (every team got a few of these guys so don't get happy) but he was young.

Quote:
2. Stephon Marbury has been on numerous first round playoff exit teams, through no fault of his. He has played exceptional basketball in the playoffs.
thats not doing ****, nash took that team and turned it into a contender. he had a good team in minny too, put any average pg in his spot and he'll put these teams in the playoffs.

Quote:
3. We are still waiting on mnumber 3. There's a lot of time for that.
i'll help you out a little
that would be malik rose, he got a ring in SA

Quote:
Let me analyse the roster for you, seeing you have a low basketball iq.
i play basketball and know how **** works, it looks like you don't do more than watch, maybe even not.

Quote:
-Eddy Curry: A very strong effective low post scorer, who is slowly improving his defense in the post. Can only improve. A eatsern conference center position is awaiting him at the allstar game.
the guy is a turnover/foul machine, not only does he pick up fouls on offense but turns it over at the same time. so we end up losing the ball, getting in foul trouble and having our "best" center on the bench.
and the guy just like marbury and crawford knows nothing about defense.
he should have went to college.
and taylor is a way better post player.

Quote:
-Adonal Foyle: The opposite of Curry, excellent change of pace player, to come on and play some big defense and block some shots. Perfect backup/ tutor to Eddy Curry.
tutor? the guy has horrible IQ (looks like you two have something in common), he got a big contract from the warriors and still didn't get much playing time.

Quote:
-Mikki Moore: A good hustle player who will work his butt off for minutes, and will challenge the starters in practice.
you know that you can't have 7 guys on the floor at the same time and you can't just add up their "skills"

Quote:
-Kenyon Martin: Excellent post and perimeter defender. Good set shooter, good shot blocker and a capable rebounder. Passing game is underrated. An enforcer.
defense wasn't his favorite thing last year, he's injury prone and like a lot of the guys we have on this team, he's a problem off the court. guy has some ego problems and plays like he's KG but ends up looking like chandler.

Quote:
-Brian Skinner: a good man to man defender and good on the boards. Very strong player.
old and overpaid thats all there is to say.

Quote:
-Darius Miles: Can be a shut down defeder when he wants to as wel as a real match-up nightmare on offense. Strong rebounder which should make up for any lack of rebounding from Curry and Martin. Super athletic.
he's not a shut down defender. you just said kmart was a good rebounder and now miles comes in to make up for him?

Quote:
-Mike Dunleavy Jr: Great shooter and a very underrated passer, also rebounds well, a good reserve behind Miles, espeically for keeping Miles' minutes down to watch for further knee injuries.
when you build a team you want guys who fit your style, not guys who come in and do the complete oposite and **** up your flow.

Quote:
-Quentin Richardson: Good outside shooter, great post up game fro mthe guard spot, and an excellent rebounder. An underrated defender.
chuck but played some good D last season

Quote:
-Jamal Crawford: Absolutely clutch shooter, great passer, ball handler, and ever-improving defender. Great super sub. Plays well with Marbury.
no
and he's inconsistent

-
Quote:
Stephon Marbury: Good shooter, very fast to get to the hole, sometimes plays out of control going to the hole. Has an ok assist-to-turnover ratio, field goal % is also passable for a point guard. Should have improved shot selection with Isiah as coach, has tremendous defensive upside when focused, is hands down the best point guard in the league if utilised in the right system (pick and rolls/ pops with KMart).
thanks for clarifying that you use stats to talk about a guys game. and how is his shot selection going to improve under isiah when he played for brown who was there to limit him only to good shots.

yeah you're great
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:25 AM   #35
TruNbaAnalyst
I airball my layups

Your knicks team could probably make the playoffs in the weak east unless Boston becomes really good with their draft moves.. Im not sure what player to target because one can never tell how the season goes... Detroit could plummet or stay good... bulls could rise or just look good on paper... boston could get worse... AI could be available but then who knows when he really is or isnt. Players values are going to raise or fall. But with the players you stated.. none are really BIG value players. Of course im talking the 2 and 3 trades. THE first should happen i think. But think about it.. with the players you mentioned in the 2nd and 3rd trades, waiting to see what happens till Feb. isnt a bad idea... because you never know what can happen. thats what i would do. Players value can fall like nothing look at steve francis for god sake. For an expiring contract ??? so i would rather wait.. but thats me. i would wait on the second two trades.. but i wouldnt be mad if your trades pulled through if it worked out
Old 07-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #36
scipio
I hit open 5-footers

scipio has an OK reputation so far

Overall, I think there are some very interesting ideas here, Ced. However, I disagree with the specifics of the trades and, perhaps, your general approach.

Quote:
Deal 1:
The most important deal, trade Steve Francis. He is not in the same tier of point guards as Marbury, and he cannot play shooting guard seeing he has an unreliable jumper, doesn't play well off the ball, has suspect defense, and is undersized to boot.

Denver would really like to acquire a player like this. I'm sure George Karl will love Stevie.

Quote:
Nuggets trade:
Kenyon Martin (disgruntled employee, 4 years remaining)

Knicks trade:
Steve Francis (bad fit for NY, where he fits in Denver is anyones guess)

Knicks get their tough partner for Curry. Nuggets get a star scorer to pair with Melo.

Okay, essentially I think that Francis is a much better player than Marbury, and that Denver would not do this deal. Francis has a better track record at taking teams to the playoffs (he did fairly well with that in Houston by taking some relatively untalented teams to the playoffs or at least very close, and he did better than T-Mac in Orlando). Francis in my mind is more of a pure combo guard, while Marbury is a point guard who doesn't distribute as well as he should.

What's the difference between those two vague categories? Well, Isaiah won't have to pretend that Francis is a PG, and he can play Francis and Crawford together. Playing those two together is a significant advantage because Crawford is a much, much better player than Richardson. Richardson has not shot better than forty percent in his last four seasons. Crawford doesn't shoot a great percentage himself, but his 41.6 field goal percentage seems almost Shaq-like compared to Q-tips' 35.5 field goal percentage. Note that that is not three point %, but overall field goal percentage. How did Larry Brown even let him on the floor?

I can't see Denver doing this since Francis wouldn't fit with the team they currently have and he would not provide salary cap relief any time soon. They have more than enough point guards, and Francis can't play the 2 or solve their need for a shooter, as you noted.

Quote:
Deal 2:
As much as Thomas likes Robinson, he'll never make any NBA team a winenr with his stupid attitude and inability to play point guard. Who wants a 5'7" shooting guard? Not many people is my guess. He is a Seattle area product, and I'm sure Seattle would love to have a dunk contest "champ" on the roster.

Quote:
Sonics trade:
Mikki Moore (expirer and content being a bigman reserve, good hustle guy)

Knicks trade:
Nate Robinson
$1 million (because the Sonics are cheap, & Nate has a longer contract)

Sonics get a local product who can be an exciting combo guard off thebecnh and hopefully entice some fans back. Knicks get a reserve big man who hustles.

This trade is somewhat silly since Moore would be lucky to crack the rotation of any NBA team, and paying another team to get him would be ridiculous. Robinson's contract is longer, but he is a better value than Moore. His contract, which is barely greater than $1 million, is certainly not a burden to the Knicks. They could probably simply trade his contract to a team under the cap (the Hawks, maybe) for a second round pick if they needed to dump him. However, I think he has value.

Quote:
Deal 3:
Now to utilise those large expiring contracts of Rose and Taylor. The Knicks will not get better by not getting large deals on the books now, and it seems like they want to win immediatley. The rebuilding faze has been long enough, Isiah probably doesn't want to be fired. I guess the pro of being GM and coach is, if there are some players not pulling their weight or not meshing with the team you can just trade them without much consultation. I don't like the idea of adding more "superstar" players with these two large expiring contracts, maybe just some useful role players that have lengthy contracts.
3.a:

Quote:
Blazers trade:
Darius Miles (another disgruntled employee, QRich's boyfriend)
Brian Skinner
Dan Dickau

Knicks trade:
Jalen Rose (large expiring deal, Portland owner is poor..... LOL)
David Lee
Future first round pick

Knicks get Miles who has bad knees and plays well for a quarter of a season usually, and Skinner as a big body and fodder, Dickau. Portland's money conscious Allen gets an expiring deal, a future first rounder and a young cheap starter at power forward who should clean up some of the errant misses by the Portland rookies.

3.b:

Quote:
Warriors trade:
Adonal Foyle
Mike Dunelavy Jr.

Knicks trade:
Maurice Taylor (expiring deal)
Channing Frye (injury prone softy)

Golden State gets a new bigman in Frye who can immediatley start playing 30mpg, rather than waiting on O'Bryant to develop and Foyle is hugely overpaid. Taylor is an expiring deal, allowing them to re-up Pietrus, and to give him Dunleavy's starting job. Dunleavy Jr. should excel in New York as a spare part. That's all he evr should be. Foyle brings defensive intensity and a shot blocking presence the Knicks really lack.

As for 3a, the Knicks are giving up way too much to get Miles, a mediocre at best player who has yet to show anything. Rose's expiring contract alone should be more than enough to get Miles and the Blazers' other trash. Portland would trade Miles for nothing if they could. Thus, giving up David Lee and a first round pick would be overkill. However, I don't think that Miles is a quality player who should be pursued. The Knicks would be better served by letting Rose's contract expire or using it in another deal (which I will propose at the end of this).

3b - Trading away Channing Frye is a mistake. Add on the fact that the Knicks would acquire not one but two horrible contracts in this deal, and it seems awful for them. Rose's expirer should be more than enough for this gruesome twosome, and I don't think that those two players would even contribute significantly to the Knicks.

Quote:
Final New York lineup:
CT: Eddy Curry/ Adonal Foyle/ Mikki Moore/ Jackie Butler/ Jerome James
PF: Kenyon Martin/ Brian Skinner/ Malik Rose
SF: Darius Miles/ Mike Dunleavy Jr./ Rolando Balkman
SG: Quentin Richardson/ Jamal Crawford
PG: Stephon Marbury/ Mardy Collins

There are still weaknesses with the team, but there are enough big bodies to throw around, and just the right mix of scorers and defenders. They could probably do with trading a big guy for a spark plug type of guy like Eddie House. Maybe Jackie Butler for Beno Udrih type of deal?

The Knicks lineup seen in this proposal would, IMO, not be good at all. Q-tip should not even see the floor, and neither should Miles or Dunleavy. K-Mart is an upgrade, but that upgrade costs too much.

I think you're right that the Knicks should pursue K Mart, but I'd propose a trade like this:

Martin
for
Rose and Robinson

I'm not sure if this works, but both Martin and Rose have max contracts. Denver would do this because they'd get rid of Martin's contract and get an expirer in Rose who can play the SG and a decent young player in Robinson who might contribute.

Alternatively, they could package Quentin Richardson and either Rose or Taylor to get Martin. Denver would get two smaller deals and someone who could play SG, as well as a big man who could give them some PT.

You mentioned a Marbury for Eddie Jones deal, and I think that would be a good deal for the Knicks to make.

So (assuming the Knicks trade Q, Robinson and Taylor to the Nuggets for K Mart and trade Marbury and a future first for Jones), the Knicks could have a lineup like this:

CT: Eddy Curry/ Channing Frye/ Jerome James
PF: Kenyon Martin/ David Lee/ Malik Rose
SF: Jalen Rose/ Rolando Balkman
SG: Jamal Crawford / Eddie Jones
PG: Steve Francis/ Mardy Collins

The Knicks would have their young guys in Crawford, Frye, Curry, and Lee. The others would give them some quality veterans who can help them into the playoffs. The expiring contracts of Rose and Jones could perhaps be used to acquire a big time player mid season.
scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:52 AM   #37
TruNbaAnalyst
I airball my layups

Martin is probably the only player the knicks would trade for in the offseason and wait till mid season... unless harrington or unrealistically a chance to get AI sprung up and that would benefit the knicks without giving up to much. Midseasn is where some big people could be available. Frye can post up and shoot and will be essential to the knicks and will only be traded for something big. At least while thomas is there. Same goes for david lee but not as much as frye
Old 07-12-2006, 03:54 AM   #38
Milkman

nice trade Ced, well thought out. Seems like the best plan knicks could come up with given their roster although i dont like the Frye trade i think the knicks get raped there (but im a Frye fan).

i think you should seriously consider emailing this to Isiah or at least be my gm in NBA 2k6!
Old 07-12-2006, 04:55 AM   #39
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

While I can appreciate the effort put in on this thread that new Knick roster Ced came up with would be horrible.

I understand that it has become the norm to think guys are total bums if they play for the Knicks but the trade proposals I'm reading in here are just plain silly. Not only are the Knicks giving up far too much in each trade but they are losing the best player in every single deal to boot.

Hell even non-Ced trades the Knicks were killing themselves. Marbury and a draft pick for Eddie Jones??? Again, I understand Knick hating has become a past time but get real. Marbury is a 20 and 8 player who less than 3 seasons ago was considered at worst the second best point in the league.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:25 AM   #40
Semiprocappa
I hit open layups

Semiprocappa has an OK reputation so far

As much as I enjoy the amount of thought that has gone into your trade scenarios Ced I don't think that trading everyone is the right way to go to fix the Knicks situation.

Even though it doesn't look it, this team could actually be pretty solidly built for a rebuilding project. They've got 4 young players (hitting 4 of the 5 positions - Butler, Frye, Lee and Nate) who have shown promise and can develop over the next 3 years while all the focus is going to be on the highly paid stars who make up the rest of the team. There's going to be very little pressure on those players to succeed because they're getting paid every year about as much as Jerome James spends on lunch.

Over the next 3 years the knicks will be able to find out whether those player will cut it as starters and then either blow up the team and start again or build around those four (+Curry and Crawford)

And who knows, Curry might lose some weight, improve his fitness dramatically,learn to rebound and become the center shaq said he would be. Add that to a coach who is going to build a system around a players and not try and force his players into one and the current Knicks team might be as good as the one you built Ced.
Semiprocappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:37 AM   #41
Leroy
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Leroy has an OK reputation so far

I lke the fact people are putting in some serious thought to how you could fix the knicks... generally I think Ceds' trades aren't the best, as stated giving up too much for too little.
Blazers would trade Miles for david lee and a sandwich at this point I think... and the knicks would still be getting screwed.
No point trading Robinsons contract for a centre who'd be 4th or 5th in the depth chart, it is as good value as the knicks have on their roster.
Kmart for Francis is definately reasonable - although I think the extra year on Martins contract and his bad knees make it a big question mark (especially if insurance won't cover the contract)
And Adonal Foyle for channing frye maybe if this was a salary dump but its not...

In terms of what the knicks need isn't it to 'thin' out their roster a little bit and relieve the pressure of having a whole heap of guys who expect to play 30+ minutes per night? For that reason I like Scipio's trades...

Quote:
CT: Eddy Curry/ Channing Frye/ Jerome James
PF: Kenyon Martin/ David Lee/ Malik Rose
SF: Jalen Rose/ Rolando Balkman
SG: Jamal Crawford / Eddie Jones
PG: Steve Francis/ Mardy Collins

If the knicks could pull that off keep the young guys and dump $30+ million in salary at the end of this season or use those expirers to trade for a QUALITY player at the trade deadline it would be a miracle and would mean redemption for Isiah IMHO. - Hell that team unlike current Knicks and the Ced knicks roster could even make the playoffs!
Only problem is Isiah wouldn't trade Marbury and Memphis wouldn't take him?
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:39 AM   #42
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Anyone who defends these crappy even retarded trades, lost all credibility to criticize Isiah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReturnofCed
Deal 1:
The most important deal, trade Steve Francis. He is not in the same tier of point guards as Marbury, and he cannot play shooting guard seeing he has an unreliable jumper, doesn't play well off the ball, has suspect defense, and is undersized to boot.
You're what? A nuggets fan?
Steve Francis should be traded for Eddie Jones and nobody else.
Quote:
Deal 2:
As much as Thomas likes Robinson, he'll never make any NBA team a winenr with his stupid attitude and inability to play point guard. Who wants a 5'7" shooting guard? Not many people is my guess. He is a Seattle area product, and I'm sure Seattle would love to have a dunk contest "champ" on the roster.
Sonics get a local product who can be an exciting combo guard off thebecnh and hopefully entice some fans back. Knicks get a reserve big man who hustles.
Theres not one knicks fan that would've made that trade. I don't understand why should the knicks give up on nate after just on season.
Quote:
Deal 3:
Now to utilise those large expiring contracts of Rose and Taylor. The Knicks will not get better by not getting large deals on the books now, and it seems like they want to win immediatley.
That's exacly what Isiah as been doing you're DUMBASS, and he as being criticised for that by all the sheeps out there.
And i repeat againg if it wasn't for the Francis contract, a request of Larry Brown, the knicks one year from now would've been barely over the cap, and completely under the luxury tax.
Quote:
Knicks get Miles who has bad knees and plays well for a quarter of a season usually, and Skinner as a big body and fodder, Dickau. Portland's money conscious Allen gets an expiring deal, a future first rounder and a young cheap starter at power forward who should clean up some of the errant misses by the Portland rookies.
That's not going to happen, not in a Million years.
Won't you supposed to be a nuggets fan? You look like a blazers fan here.
Quote:
Golden State gets a new bigman in Frye who can immediatley start playing 30mpg, rather than waiting on O'Bryant to develop and Foyle is hugely overpaid. Taylor is an expiring deal, allowing them to re-up Pietrus, and to give him Dunleavy's starting job. Dunleavy Jr. should excel in New York as a spare part. That's all he evr should be. Foyle brings defensive intensity and a shot blocking presence the Knicks really lack.
OMG, now you look like a warriors fan.

Isiah is going to make 0 trades, at least until next year, and i am with him.
The knicks don't need more players right now, all they need is a solid rotation to fix them, and plain old simple regular normal coaching.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:37 AM   #43
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
Isiah is going to make 0 trades, at least until next year, and i am with him.
The knicks don't need more players right now, all they need is a solid rotation to fix them, and plain old simple regular normal coaching.
I think Isiah will do something close to the trade deadline but there will be no big moves this off season. And the NY media will roast him for it.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #44
TruNbaAnalyst
I airball my layups

Isiah is an offensive coach if you go back to the pacers days. Larry brown is a defensive coach... he tried playing the knicks like he did the pistons... doesnt take someone smart to know that it wasnt going to work out. The knicks are offensive players... isiah will take the chance and coach the team the way they should be coached... its like having greg popvich coach the suns team last year... no way would they have done so well in his half court sets with the team they have... same for the knicks... isiah will try out this team himself first and then come FEB make a trade if needed... I mean this is assuming the knicks cant get al harrington or AI or something like that because isiah is willing to pull the trigger when it involves a big player. the knicks will immediately be a better team with a consistent line up and roles for each player under thomas... the question left is how much better... most people think very insignificant...
Old 07-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #45
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Bulls_Fan20 has decent reputationBulls_Fan20 has decent reputation
IMO, I don't think that Isiah will make any more moves this year. Ced, your trades seem OK, but, with all due respect, I can't see any of them happening this year. Isiah has said he wants to keep the expiring contracts so the Knicks can start getting closer to the cap limit, and trading the expirers away for players that will "earn" more money doesn't seem like a smart thing to do for a man trying to keep his job.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: