Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Early NFL Top 10

Quote:
Patriots: Realizing that a lot of the players who played key roles in their three Super Bowl titles were gone, the franchise made some dramatic offseason moves. Matching Tom Brady with an elite group of receivers and adding a Pro Bowl linebacker in Adalius Thomas makes New England the clear favorite.

Colts: They lost seven players who started at least one game last season, and you might recall them having the worst run defense in the league. That said, the Colts added the best slot receiver in the draft with Anthony Gonzalez. And Joseph Addai is poised to become one of the best running backs in the league.

Chargers: This is probably the most talented roster, but the Chargers are obviously going through a big transition. I'm a little worried about those young inside linebackers, but the guys on the edge can make up for a lot of deficiencies.

Saints: There are still people who think 2006 was simply one of those magical seasons, but this offense is way too talented to be a fluke. It's not even a top-20 defense in my mind, but Gary Gibbs has done an excellent job of patching everything together.

Eagles: I may be placing way too much faith in the NFC, but I can't help but think that the combination of a healthy Donovan McNabb and Jevon Kearse is going to make this a top-5 team. The Eagles have done a nice job addressing some of the problems they had against the run with linebacker Takeo Spikes, defensive end Montae Reagor and defensive tackle Ian Scott.

Bears: Yes, I know it's been an awful offseason with the Tank Johnson fiasco and the Lance Briggs holdout situation. I also know that teams can sometimes feed off controversy. If Briggs sits out the first 10 games (I don't think he will), the team will find a way to replace him.

Ravens: The loss of Thomas will hurt, but this is still the best overall defense in football. The addition of Willis McGahee makes this a much more dangerous offense. And believe it or not, the team finally has a receiver who can stretch the field.

Jets: OK, here's where I'm going to lose a lot of you guys, but bear with me. This team made it to the playoffs last season with a rookie head coach and some pretty lackluster rankings on offense and defense. I think the addition of running back Thomas Jones will have the Jets looking at an 11-win season.

Seahawks: Yes, I've been talking up the 49ers for months now, but the Seahawks have one more run left. They should be much healthier this season at key positions, and defensive end Patrick Kerney will be a nice addition.

Panthers: I thought the Panthers may have come up with three starters in the draft, and way too many people are counting out Jake Delhomme. Just look at what this team has done coming off poor seasons in the past.

List is aiight by me.....Saints beat the Eagles in the playoffs so they start out higher...I agree them dudes are not a fluke so teams better not sleep on them this year

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks...r-Ratings.html
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Early NFL Top 10

The Panthers? No way. Sub them out for the Broncos or the Bengals.

Carolina is hyped every year since their Super Bowl appearance and always fail to produce. I know Steve Smith was out for awhile last year but I don't care, they are so overrated. They're lucky they're in the weak ass NFC.

The Eagles, Bears, and Jets are shaky picks in my eyes but I can at least understand why they're on there. Losing Briggs is going hurt Chicago big time.

Last edited by Randy : 07-09-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Losing Briggs is going hurt Chicago big time.

Not as much as people may believe. The defensive system them currently have, Lance was pretty much a freelancer much like Lavar Arrington was/is.

It's hard to make predictions right now. I'd have to check the team schedules. Because in football, there is no other sport that is more influenced by the schedule itself.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Not as much as people may believe. The defensive system them currently have, Lance was pretty much a freelancer much like Lavar Arrington was/is.

It's hard to make predictions right now. I'd have to check the team schedules. Because in football, there is no other sport that is more influenced by the schedule itself.
Man I so ready for some football it's not even funny. I'm a little suprised to see the Jets in the top 10. My Ravens still are a pretty good defensive team, but they are nowhere even close to being that nasty group from 7 years ago.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
-primetime-

Dallas > Philly

that list sucks
Old 07-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Dallas > Philly

that list sucks

we beat Dallas twice last year and fully exposed them at home in one of those games.... Dallas has been an easy opponent for a while and now that Parcells is gone, Cowboys are doomed... T.O looks like only half the player he was in Philly and we saw how bad ROmo can fold under pressure...Cowboys will be fortunate to win 8 games this coming season..

get off the crack rock fam. Giants are a bigger threat than the Cowboys are..
Old 07-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
we beat Dallas twice last year and fully exposed them at home in one of those games.....
you mean while Bledsoe was QB?
Quote:
Dallas has been an easy opponent for a while and now that Parcells is gone, Cowboys are doomed...
the game has surpassed Parcells and his old school conservative ways do not work any more...Wade Phillups is going to bring the heat and look for Dallas to have a top 3 defense.
Quote:
T.O looks like only half the player he was in Philly and we saw how bad ROmo can fold under pressure.....
T.O. had a broken hand you fool and he still led the NFL in TDs....he has since had surgury and look for hm to be a monster next year...
Quote:
Cowboys will be fortunate to win 8 games this coming season.
vegas odds has them ranked 20 to 1 and tied with Philly...you know nothing
Quote:
get off the crack rock fam. Giants are a bigger threat than the Cowboys are..
is this a joke?....seriously, is this a joke? Eli sucks and Tiki just retired...they are done
Old 07-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Quote:
I know Steve Smith was out for awhile last year but I don't care, they are so overrated.

To be fair, they lost a lot more then just Steve Smith for 2 games. Even with all those injuries and one of the toughest schedules in football...they were 1 foolish play away from making the playoffs. (Chris Gamble Week 2) They actually had many more chances, but they somehow screwed them up.

The problem they had last season was a very conservative offensive coordinator...their defense even with the nagging injuries of Ken Lucas (Pro-Bowl CB) and Dan Morgan gone for the year...gave up the least amount of points in the 1st quarter of games. (I believe) Dan Henning was way to conservative regarding the run game, his passing routes were very predictive for opponents, the fact they had 3 starting OL's out including Mike Wahle at the end of the season really hurt them offensively, they had to go with a backup plan and never did. That's why they fired their offensive coordinator this off-season.

You'd be foolish not to put this team in the top 10, they have had arguably the best off-season of any team...their draft was 2nd to none, in my book.

Regarding last season:

Steve Smith (2 games, both loses)
Jake Delhomme (3 games LATE in the year, 2 loses...one win was because of the defense, I think Weinke barely threw the ball that game)
Justin Hartwig (Starting center)
Travelle Wharton (Starting tackle)
Mike Wahle (Pro-Bowl Guard)
Dan Morgan (Their All-Pro MLB)
Ken Lucas (All-Pro CB, kept having nagging injuries, wasn't the same shut down corner)

That's a lot of injuries to overcome for any team, especially having your starting QB be out in the most crucial part of the season where you're battling for the playoff spot against teams that are in the same situation, and to have someone like Chris Weinke start, not much to work with. I could not believe that DeAngelo Williams didn't start after about week 6, this guy is clearly the better RB then Foster, Foster would have been a perfect 3rd down runner for Carolina. I thought Eric Shelton would have more impact on the field then Foster personally, but I don't think he had more then 10 carries. Again, I blame the coaching staff for not having a backup plan...they worked their defense way too much, and didn't try anything new on offense...in the mini camp many players in Carolina are liking the new play calling. This team is most definitely a top 10 team in this league, they had a lot of mis fortune last season. They added a ton of new pieces and made all the right adjustments...and have one of the easier schedules this season.

New Additions

David Carr-- Really had nothing to work with in Houston, I'm really looking forward to seeing what this kid can do with Steve Smith and Dwayne Jarrett (hopefully he's Ok after that accident in the off-season)

Ryan Kalil-- Probably the best center in this years draft, they have a very deep OL, I guess they're a little self conscience regarding the injuries because they could give their backups the starting role this season.

Charles Johnson-- A very nice addition by Carolina, a perfect replacement for Michael Rucker in a few years. The rich got richer, with Peppers, Jenkins and Rucker...this is arguably the best defensive line in football.

Jon Beasley-- 1st round pick for Carolina, nice addition. I'm not sure what they're trying to do here, will they move Thomas Davis to SF? That's the only real question mark this team has this season, they have a really old safety position. Jon should be an impact player right away, he's versatile so he could play outside and inside. That's what John Fox is all about, he's going to use him the way he uses Julius Peppers.

I think you're underrating this team, they are better then they were last season, and last season every major expert had them at the top of the ladder. I guess you're not convinced because of last-season, I'm not sure how much you followed this team but they had a lot of mis fortune. They are a proud bunch and I know will come back with a vengeance this season. They made all the right moves, they got the right personnel, they are deep and talented. I suggest you keep an eye out for DeAngelo Williams, this kid has got a very bright future. It really frustrated me how little Carolina had trust in him, after watching Reggie Bush get all the confidence in the world, and finally showed signs of greatness late in the season...I guess it has a lot to do with Bush being a much earlier pick...but I'm positive Williams will show the football world how special of a RB he will become.

You don't have to believe me regarding Carolina, I can see you're pretty set on thinking they're not a top 10 team, but following past trends is kind of arrogant on your part, because with the new pieces they added, they injuries they had, the coaching changes they made are all key components to believe this is a super bowl team without a doubt.

I personally have them in the top 5, barring injuries their rush defense will be deadly, a lot of speed and athleticism...will give Peppers more chances to rush the Quarterback...I think they need to move Thomas Davis to SS, or make a move for a proven SS (maybe offering Chris Gamble and someone like Thomas Davis). Marshall should start at corner for Carolina, he was easily their best secondary player last season.

I'm looking forward to this season, I do agree with that top 10 list...more or less, I haven't really looked closely in what moves other teams made. I know New England will be scary with Moss, I hope he doesn't screw up that as well, he has a great chance at getting a ring.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #9
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
you mean while Bledsoe was QB?

And while Romo was QB in Dallas home game where our backup QB shredded your defense

Quote:
the game has surpassed Parcells and his old school conservative ways do not work any more...Wade Phillups is going to bring the heat and look for Dallas to have a top 3 defense.

good one

Quote:
T.O. had a broken hand you fool and he still led the NFL in TDs....he has since had surgury and look for hm to be a monster next year...

right...... maybe maybe not....you'll still lose twice to us again

Quote:
vegas odds has them ranked 20 to 1 and tied with Philly...you know nothing

you're on a roll here with the jokes

Quote:
is this a joke?....seriously, is this a joke? Eli sucks and Tiki just retired...they are done

Eli is better than your QB and the Giants are the only team besides the Eagles to win the division for the past 8 or 9 years.....

Cowboys are 2 easy wins on our schedule......might as well chalk em up right now..
Old 07-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Quote:
Eli is better than your QB and the Giants are the only team besides the Eagles to win the division for the past 8 or 9 years.....

I disagree that Eli Manning is better then Tony Romo...I felt the world was a bit harsh on Romo last season, just because he plays for Dallas.

Eli is a mess, and without Barber...NY will expect a lot more from him, and we all know how tough the NY fans are. I personally hope he gets his head in gear, but he can just as easily choke under pressure. There is no way you can consider Eli the better Qb, I'd choose him if I was starting a franchise right now...because he is a promising QB, but right now, what factors do you have that suggest Eli is better then Romo?
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #11
-primetime-

Odds to Win 2008 Super Bowl XLII - Glendale AZ
02-03-08 8:00 PM

San Diego Chargers 6-1

Indianapolis Colts 8-1

New England Patriots 5-2

Chicago Bears 14-1

Baltimore Ravens 20-1

Pittsburgh Steelers 25-1

Cincinnati Bengals 20-1

Denver Broncos 20-1

Philadelphia Eagles 20-1

Dallas Cowboys 20-1

Carolina Panthers 25-1

Seattle Seahawks 20-1

New Orleans Saints 20-1

New York Giants 30-1

Jacksonville Jaguars 30-1

Kansas City Chiefs 60-1

New York Jets 40-1

Miami Dolphins 60-1

Tennessee Titans 60-1

Atlanta Falcons 60-1

Buffalo Bills 100-1

Washington Redskins 50-1

Arizona Cardinals 50-1

Saint Louis Rams 50-1

Tampa Bay Buccanneers 50-1

San Francisco 49ers 25-1

Minnesota Vikings 50-1

Green Bay Packers 50-1

Houston Texans 100-1

Cleveland Browns 100-1

Oakland Raiders 75-1

Detroit Lions 100-1

http://www.betusa.com/odds/superbowl...tting_520.html
Old 07-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #12
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

I got 2 words to say...............

WHO DEY!
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #13
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
There is no way you can consider Eli the better Qb, I'd choose him if I was starting a franchise right now...because he is a promising QB, but right now, what factors do you have that suggest Eli is better then Romo?

you'd choose him but he's not better? what kind of logic is that..Romo had a ton of hype(which he squandered by chokin) he even got invited to the pro-bowl (which was a straight joke and most said so)... Eli is better because the Giants won the division with him..He is erratic but has shown more than Romo... The Cowboys squeeked into playoffs and folded to a team who tried to hand them the game...The couldnt make the extra point ....... Romo is not a better Qb than Eli....

this knucklehead primetime is printing Vegas odds in July as if they will stand like that throughout the season not to mention the fact that regardless of what the Vegas odds say the Eagles will smack the Cowboys again....What are the Vegas odds on Dallas winning a game versus us? Not good Im sure
Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #14
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
Odds to Win 2008 Super Bowl XLII - Glendale AZ
02-03-08 8:00 PM

Detroit Lions 100-1

http://www.betusa.com/odds/superbowl...tting_520.html
you know it baby! I will not be excited about the nfl until the get Matt Millen outtta there.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #15
-primetime-

Quote:
you'd choose him but he's not better? what kind of logic is that..Romo had a ton of hype(which he squandered by chokin) he even got invited to the pro-bowl (which was a straight joke and most said so)... Eli is better because the Giants won the division with him..He is erratic but has shown more than Romo... The Cowboys squeeked into playoffs and folded to a team who tried to hand them the game...The couldnt make the extra point ....... Romo is not a better Qb than Eli....

this knucklehead primetime is printing Vegas odds in July as if they will stand like that throughout the season not to mention the fact that regardless of what the Vegas odds say the Eagles will smack the Cowboys again....What are the Vegas odds on Dallas winning a game versus us? Not good Im sure

uhh...wrong...are you just making sh-it up now?

Philly 10 - 6
Dallas 9 - 7
Giants 8 - 8

It is Eli that barely snuck in at 8 and 8....

talking sports straight out of your ass now

who would you have put in the pro bowl instead of Romo?

Vegas odds are just my way of saying that no one is considering Philly to be better than dallas just yet, they are even as of right now....so saying they are better is just non-sense
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: