Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-10-2007, 12:02 AM   #1
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation
Default Question about HIV/AIDS

If you contract HIV, and do not get treatment, how long would it take before AIDS claims your life? I know Eazy E never got treatment and he died in March 1995, but how long did he live with HIV/AIDS before he found out?
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
A Loyal NJ Fan
High school junior varsity star

A Loyal NJ Fan has decent reputation
Default Re: Question about HIV/AIDS

I don't think it's the actual AIDS virus that takes your life. It basically ****s with your immune system so your body can't defend itself, even from the smallest threats. At that point, you can be taken by something as simple as a cold.

Pretty sure that's right. If it's not, at least I tried.
A Loyal NJ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:14 AM   #3
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Loyal NJ Fan
I don't think it's the actual AIDS virus that takes your life. It basically ****s with your immune system so your body can't defend itself, even from the smallest threats. At that point, you can be taken by something as simple as a cold.

That I know. I wanted to know how long you could live with HIV/AIDS without any treatment. I used Eazy E as an example since he didn't go to the hospital until early 1995, where he obviously had it for quite some time since it was full blown AIDS at that point.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:22 AM   #4
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

HIV must have an advanced treatment by now because please... magic has had it since 91 and i'm sure he has had colds since then. i think it is still a game of money and politics. but also i think it has had medical breakthroughs because it has taken a back seat between lung cancer and heart desease. iam speaking of HIV only not AIDS.
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
That I know. I wanted to know how long you could live with HIV/AIDS without any treatment. I used Eazy E as an example since he didn't go to the hospital until early 1995, where he obviously had it for quite some time since it was full blown AIDS at that point.
HIV and Aids are different.

Now I don't know if e first contracted HIV and it turned to Aids or he just caught the full Aids thing?
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:26 AM   #6
A Loyal NJ Fan
High school junior varsity star

A Loyal NJ Fan has decent reputation

I'm not sure if anyone knows when Eazy-E actually contracted HIV or AIDS, but I believe that when he was admitted to the hospital around March of 1995 they thought he had bronchitis or something like that. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Last edited by A Loyal NJ Fan : 07-10-2007 at 12:30 AM.
A Loyal NJ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #7
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionIssues
HIV must have an advanced treatment by now because please... magic has had it since 91 and i'm sure he has had colds since then. i think it is still a game of money and politics. but also i think it has had medical breakthroughs because it has taken a back seat between lung cancer and heart desease. iam speaking of HIV only not AIDS.

I understand, but with Eazy E, he had no clue he had HIV. How long did he go from contracting HIV- death?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:18 AM   #8
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

do you have hiv?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:27 AM   #9
wizardsextreme
Banned

wizardsextreme has an OK reputation so far

I think back in the day (early 80's) before they really knew what was going on and before they had treatments for it, people were dying within a year to two years. Seriously. That's why it was a such a shock when Magic got it. Even then (1991) people weren't living longer then 5 years with the medicine of the time.
wizardsextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:33 AM   #10
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

it can vary from about a year to even 20 or 30 years from the moment you contract the virus to the point you actually start showing symptoms.

but when that happens, average lifespan without treatment is about a year.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #11
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
HIV and Aids are different.

Now I don't know if e first contracted HIV and it turned to Aids or he just caught the full Aids thing?

you cannot contract AIDS. You are first infected with the HI virus, and sooner or later the AIDS disease will break out, depending on the medicine you get.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #12
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
it can vary from about a year to even 20 or 30 years from the moment you contract the virus to the point you actually start showing symptoms.

but when that happens, average lifespan without treatment is about a year.

So that means Eazy initally contracted HIV in late '93-early '94?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #13
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

there are some prostitutes in Nairobi (I think) that actually seem to have a genetic resistance to aids. One woman has HIV (and has for over a decade) but has never ceveloped aids. The other lady has been exposed many times (shes a prostitute in Nairobi after all) but never contracted the hiv. There are british researchers looking into their genetics (I saw something like a NOVA about them). Go to pbs.org and type aids, it will probably come up.
boozehound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #14
Wizardly Cool

Quote:
If you contract HIV, and do not get treatment, how long would it take before AIDS claims your life?

This varies greatly from individual to individual based on numerous factors. In addition, what many people don't know is that there are different levels or strands of the HIV virus. Some, are more complex and/or deleterious than others.

On topic with Eazy E - some theorists believe it was not through sexual contact, but rather syringed drug use. I suppose no one knows for sure, but who'd argue Eazy E wasn't a recreational drug user, if not devoted drug user. Also consider studies show/prove that those infected with HIV through syringe sharing are more likely to develop AIDS before those exposed through heterosexual or homosexual exchange of bodily fluid. This is why some believe Eazy died so quickly.

The topic of HIV/AIDS is just too broad to really get into, but I'd like to sum this up by saying the HIV virus will never be cured. In fact, the virus is smarter and more complex than the human mind could ever comprehend. Some conspiracy theorists believe there is a cure behind closed doors, or that it's accessible via a million dollars - whatever. There's no cure, and more than likely, never will be. It's not in the news often, but it's a global epidemic that is going to explode in the developing world in the next two decades. China, India, Eastern Europe (including Russia) and South America are enduring a moment of truth as we speak, but if something isn't done, these developing nations will soon face a contagion that may be impossible to reverse.

Last edited by Wizardly Cool : 07-10-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #15
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Loyal NJ Fan

you're right. people get HIV at first, then it gets bad and turns into AIDS, then something else will take you out since your immune system is gone. pneumonia is common i suppose but just about anything that is treated normally now is deadly to an AIDS patient.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: