Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
russwest0
NBA Superstar

Thumbs down When you have a concern and people answer it with blind optimism.... Pisses me off...

This pisses me off more than anything.

To give you all an example of what I'm talking about, I had a job interview a week ago and it went decent but it was a great job and I didn't think I'd get it. I talked to my family about it and whenever I said I didn't think I had the job they ALL snapped back with "Oh no way, I'm sure you got it. Be positive!" And a bunch of dumbass shit like that. And basically the HR lady told me they wanted to decide the position by friday, I haven't heard from her since, as time drags on I don't think I have the job, as f*cking expected.

You know what you should do in that situation when someone has a concern about something like that? You know, maybe ask questions, talk them through it, see what there concerns are, etc... Shit like that helps people feel more at ease with their situation and more comfortable rather than just throwing blind optimism their way...

My first semester of college I didn't even want to f*cking go and my whole entire family drowned me with blind optimism.... The result? Straight F's because I didn't give a shit and didn't want to be there.

I'm just tired of dumbass people who think positivity is the answer to everything rather than knowing when a sense of realism is needed. I mean I'm someone who considers myself an optimist but that doesn't mean I just go around blindly expecting everything to work out great all the time.

Rant over.
russwest0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
Budadiiii
Live Strong.

Default Re: When you have a concern and people answer it with blind optimism.... Pisses me off...

That's usually what fathers are for.

Trouble in that department man?
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
russwest0
NBA Superstar

Default Re: When you have a concern and people answer it with blind optimism.... Pisses me off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
That's usually what fathers are for.

Trouble in that department man?

I talk to my dad maybe 4-5 times a year.

He came into my work a while back and I was on register and started ringing him out expecting him to notice me, and he didn't until I said "hey dad" and then he said "oh hey, didn't recognize you there" but I had a line so we couldn't chat much.

He's basically just a really weird guy who lives a super sheltered life and just someone I haven't talked to much since he divorced my mom a while back.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
gts
Sons of Antartica

if it's any consolation to you... I wouldn't hire you, if you come off 1/10th as depressing in real life as you do on ISH you're going to have a hard time finding good work

Is that what you're looking for?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
russwest0
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
if it's any consolation to you... I wouldn't hire you, if you come off 1/10th as depressing in real life as you do on ISH you're going to have a hard time finding good work

Is that what you're looking for?

I don't come off as depressing in real life, If people in a work environment had to describe me it'd probably be like friendly, polite, nice, etc. I literally get comments like "You're so sweet" from coworkers like everyday man.

It's just sometimes I think about shit when I'm by myself like how ****ing stupid so many people are yet everyone keeps having kids and shit. And so many people just run around with blind optimism until one day shit doesn't all work out and they get blindsided like a dumbass.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwest0
This pisses me off more than anything.

To give you all an example of what I'm talking about, I had a job interview a week ago and it went decent but it was a great job and I didn't think I'd get it. I talked to my family about it and whenever I said I didn't think I had the job they ALL snapped back with "Oh no way, I'm sure you got it. Be positive!" And a bunch of dumbass shit like that. And basically the HR lady told me they wanted to decide the position by friday, I haven't heard from her since, as time drags on I don't think I have the job, as f*cking expected.

You know what you should do in that situation when someone has a concern about something like that? You know, maybe ask questions, talk them through it, see what there concerns are, etc... Shit like that helps people feel more at ease with their situation and more comfortable rather than just throwing blind optimism their way...

My first semester of college I didn't even want to f*cking go and my whole entire family drowned me with blind optimism.... The result? Straight F's because I didn't give a shit and didn't want to be there.

I'm just tired of dumbass people who think positivity is the answer to everything rather than knowing when a sense of realism is needed. I mean I'm someone who considers myself an optimist but that doesn't mean I just go around blindly expecting everything to work out great all the time.

Rant over.

Cheer up, man. I'm sure it will all work out. I bet you will get the job. Take that shit eater.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
russwest0
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Cheer up, man. I'm sure it will all work out. I bet you will get the job.

Doesn't matter if I do or don't, my point still stands.

If you're an acquaintance, friend, family member, etc, and we're chilling out and start talking and I bring up a concern and the first thing you reply with is blind optimism, chances are I'm going to instantly write you off as a dumbass and talk to you less from there on.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

They're probably just trying to balance out your constant negativity. Take a ****ing hint.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
russwest0
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
They're probably just trying to balance out your constant negativity. Take a ****ing hint.

I'm not even that negative. If anything I fall on the optimistic side.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
HitandRun Reggie
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwest0

He came into my work a while back and I was on register and started ringing him out expecting him to notice me, and he didn't until I said "hey dad" and then he said "oh hey, didn't recognize you there" but I had a line so we couldn't chat much.

HitandRun Reggie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #11
TylerOO
Wake me up in June

all this virgin does is bitch and moan
TylerOO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerOO
all this virgin does is bitch and moan

Well now his negativity makes sense.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #13
russwest0
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitandRun Reggie

lol what?

i got glasses since we last saw eachother and thinned out a bit and my dad isn't someone who likes shopping so he most likely only glanced up once, saw some guy with glasses, and didn't care to look further.

it's not like I care either way. I like my family but I don't have any expectations of them caring about me or any shit like that.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
Jello
Hume>Kunt.

Straight f's in a communication major because you "didn't want to be there." You're a child.
Jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #15
russwest0
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello
Straight f's in a communication major because you "didn't want to be there." You're a child.

I was a computer science major for my first year and a half of college.

and I was working 40 hour weeks in the fall, my whole entire family just kept bringing up college and ignoring every retort with blind optimism man.

Last edited by russwest0 : 12-23-2014 at 07:10 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: