Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #1
highwhey
PBS Media

Default Westworld TV show discussion

First episode premieres Today. Who's watching?
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
senelcoolidge
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Westworld

I saw the movie when I was a little kid. It was pretty good and kinda scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcL3eP0Hfy4
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:30 PM   #3
highwhey
PBS Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
I saw the movie when I was a little kid. It was pretty good and kinda scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcL3eP0Hfy4
I didn't even know there was a film. Interesting.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

I enjoyed the ep so far. I don't see how they can let in a psychopath like the Ed Harris character. I mean sure he's paying them a lot of money but they also have other guests. If he's that much of a psycho killer it's only a matter of time before he starts raping and killing real people.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
highwhey
PBS Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I enjoyed the ep so far. I don't see how they can let in a psychopath like the Ed Harris character. I mean sure he's paying them a lot of money but they also have other guests. If he's that much of a psycho killer it's only a matter of time before he starts raping and killing real people.
hannibal lector isn't exactly sane either. they seem to allow anyone with any type of fetish, but i agree, logic tells us ed's character will eventually harm other visitors.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
hannibal lector isn't exactly sane either. they seem to allow anyone with any type of fetish, but i agree, logic tells us ed's character will eventually harm other visitors.

He's gonna get robots on his side too. I can see them setting up a war between the good and bad machines.

Any time we can have lesbian kisses and Evan Rachel Wood naked is a good thing.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
highwhey
PBS Media

Quote:
He's gonna get robots on his side too. I can see them setting up a war between the good and bad machines.

Any time we can have lesbian kisses and Evan Rachel Wood naked is a good thing.
Truu. She's gorgeous. I'm very excited for the future of these mini-series styled TV. Westworld has a great cast itself, alongside True Detective that featured other big names. It's starting to become more acceptable for an actor to cross that barrier.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Quote:

Yeah. That was my only question. They have incredible surveillance, but the Gunslinger is essentially hacking without being detected. On the other hand he could be incredibly rich and tied into "ownership", who the female manager suggests have much different motives.

Anyway, I'll definitely be hooked in. Looks like it can go a lot of different ways based on the previews. Much how Vice Principals got absolutely insane by the end.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #9
Funktion
Good college starter

Ed Harris played a great psycopath in the old film Just Cause also.
Funktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:57 PM   #10
highwhey
PBS Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funktion
Ed Harris played a great psycopath in the old film Just Cause also.
A hell of an actor for western flicks
Old 10-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #11
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Westworld TV show discussion

I haven't watched this yet, but Michael Crichton seems to have a very theme-park specific vision of the not too distant future for some reason.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #12
ItsMillerTime
Young Trece

Great first episode, I may be hooked already.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
dunksby
NBA Superstar

The first episode was boring as hell.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #14
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I was moderately pleased with it as a first episode. There's a fair amount of establishing going on that's just required. I know it ran an hour and a half, but it was nice that they got pretty right on Ed Harris. They didn't go into much detail, but it was pretty clear what was happening with the Rachel Evan Woods character, and James Marsden. If I have to complain, it was mostly that it felt like they didn't need the hour and a half. A little too much philosophy from Anthony Hopkins and Jeffrey Wright, even though I felt like I knew the gist of it pretty quickly, honestly felt like I knew the gist from the trailer. Overall very promising though, especially with that much talent in the cast. I'm a touch concerned about James Marsden being able to pull off retribution, but I recently saw Chris Pine in Hell or High Water, so I'm not gonna let it deter me.

One little thing I really liked ... nifty little soundtrack. They had Old West Brothel Piano versions of Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun, and The Stones' Paint it Black, as best as I can recall. Those small world building moments can make or break something like this.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #15
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I was moderately pleased with it as a first episode. There's a fair amount of establishing going on that's just required. I know it ran an hour and a half, but it was nice that they got pretty right on Ed Harris. They didn't go into much detail, but it was pretty clear what was happening with the Rachel Evan Woods character, and James Marsden. If I have to complain, it was mostly that it felt like they didn't need the hour and a half. A little too much philosophy from Anthony Hopkins and Jeffrey Wright, even though I felt like I knew the gist of it pretty quickly, honestly felt like I knew the gist from the trailer. Overall very promising though, especially with that much talent in the cast. I'm a touch concerned about James Marsden being able to pull off retribution, but I recently saw Chris Pine in Hell or High Water, so I'm not gonna let it deter me.

One little thing I really liked ... nifty little soundtrack. They had Old West Brothel Piano versions of Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun, and The Stones' Paint it Black, as best as I can recall. Those small world building moments can make or break something like this.
I found the "Paint It Black" variation annoying, but overall the music was good which is expected from an HBO production. Westworld itself is not up to HBO standards though, first episode felt like a shitty Groundhog Day rip off.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: