Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #1741
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Default Re: Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullupJay
What's the huge announcement tonight?

I hope its a change of rating back to Tv-14!!

They're just gonna announce the WWE Network launch
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #1742
EricGordon23
Good college starter

Quote:

If only this pg 13 crap is bad for business
EricGordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:27 AM   #1743
LALakerFan4Life
16 Time NBA Champions!

Quote:

$9.95 just to watch WWE PPV's!
LALakerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 AM   #1744
EnoughSaid
Gooner | Heat Nation

WWE just did the smartest possible thing. It's insane. For the price of 3 regular PPV's a year, you get them all, along with archived PPVs, Raws and Smackdowns, extra backstage stuff, and pre and after shows. I'm going to be able to go back to 2001, and watch all the Raws building up to Survivor Series where you had WWF vs. The Alliance. I think I'm right. Could be mistaken.
EnoughSaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:57 AM   #1745
NoGunzJustSkillz

i thought wwe already had their own network
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:02 AM   #1746
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Awesome, I look forward to paying 10x as much as everyone else just because I live in Australia.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:53 AM   #1747
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV2
^^they also got 10 years of WCW, and 8 or so years of ECW videos. They got a lot of content.

And doing it through digital/streaming platform is a safe route too. Don't think they can sell to cable providers.
They've got tons. 30 odd years of the AWA, 40 years of Georgia Championship Wrestling, 40 years of Stampede Wrestling, 20 years of World Class Championship Wrestling, and 50 years of stuff owned by Jim Crockett Promotions (what became WCW once Ted Turned bought it in the late 80's).
Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 AM   #1748
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV2
I knew they own AWA, WCCW and Stampede but I didn't know they got their hands on Jim Crockett/NWA/WCW years too. I thought they only owned WCW 1990-01 years after they parted ways from NWA.
Even though Jim Crockett Promotions was a part of the NWA since the 50's he still retained the video to all the territories he owned. Plus when Crockett Jr. was expanding in the 80's he did the same as McMahon when he as he was buying territories, he bought the UWF (Mid-South Wrestling) from Bill Watts after his national expansion failed, which included all the rights to what the UWF had been previously, NWA Tri-State from the 50's, then renamed to Mid South Wrestling in the 70's and then the UWF (Universal Wrestling Federation) when Watts sold to Crockett after the Oklahoma economy when into a recession. He had similar deals with territories that ran in Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa and Florida as well. Crockett ran the same "Invasion" angle with the UWF that McMahon later did with WCW and did exactly the same thing and completely buried the UWF guys.

Plus in 1985 Crockett bought the old Georgia Championship Wrestling Saturday afternoon timeslot, which McMahon got from The Briscoe Brothers when they sold him GCW in '84 (Which is why Jerry Briscoe became a 4 lifer in the WWE) and started running that (what eventually became WCW Saturday Night) and bought out Championship Wrestling from Georgia (owned by Ole Anderson), so he and JC Promotions became the NWA in effect since he owned the biggest territories, had the biggest stars, was the President of the NWA and had a national TV show. So after all that he owned a shitload of video footage, but they eventually had to sell to Ted Turner in '88, so when Turner purchased Jim Crockett Promotions, he purchased all the video librarys that Crockett had amassed along the way. Then they slowly morphed Jim Crockett Promotions into World Championship Wrestling and when McMahon purchased WCW, all that footage came along with it.

Now just because they own all the rights to that stuff, doesn't actually mean they have physical copies of it all however. I remember reading that a lot of stuff pre the 70's wasn't saved at all (save money by taping over stuff), and there was a fair bit of footage from JCP that wasn't usable either.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 AM   #1749
9erempiree
Banned

Basically something that is free like Raw and SD on television.....now you get everything by paying a monthly subscription.

Something that was free....and people are raving about it because now they have to pay. That Vince is clever and sly like a fox.

He knows people stream his PPV's for free, so now he's making people pay. Again, I don't see how people are so happy about this.

All Vince did was make everyone happy to pay him.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:05 AM   #1750
9erempiree
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong

Now just because they own all the rights to that stuff, doesn't actually mean they have physical copies of it all however. I remember reading that a lot of stuff pre the 70's wasn't saved at all (save money by taping over stuff), and there was a fair bit of footage from JCP that wasn't usable either.

I agree. I don't think the WWE has any physical footage of these old promotions. People get excited for nothing.

Knowing Vince his goal was to crush the competition and if material and rights came along with it, then great. If it didn't I don't think he cares. If it suddenly shows up and gets used without his permission, then he can seize and desist the material.

That's why I think these old footage are lost forever. Like the criminal that steals an expensive painting but never displays it. It is gone from this continent.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:28 AM   #1751
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
I don't even watch wrestling anymore and haven't since Benoit died, but are they seriously making you pay for RAW and SmackDown? Wow. Just wow. You mean, you cannot turn on the tv and simply watch anymore unless you pay monthly?
Raw/Smackdown will still be on TV, they'll just have replays on the Network I believe. It'd only be worth it to those hardcore fans since they're showing PPV's live on there too, so you get the PPV for $10 a month instead of $40, but as someone said, most people just free stream it nowadays.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:41 AM   #1752
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

kabong's right and i kinda see 9er trolling up there.

yes, you can always and forever stream for free...but it takes a bit of time and you're never guaranteed an HD stream/lag/random shutdown.

it's not just the live aspect. really, you're buying this for the library. it's huge. you don't even need to be a fan of WWE. there's WCCW, WCW, crockett, ECW, etc. like enoughsaid, he's going to be able to go back and rewatch raws to see the buildup before watching said PPV. he gets to stream that all and it's right there at his fingertips. pause, fast forward, rewind. 24/7 streaming...all of a sudden feel like watching something? boom, right there. you don't deal with torrents and waiting times.

you buy six months at a time but pay monthly. you can make a list of all that you want to see and be done with it after $60 while watching PPVs live along the way. then add in HD and mobile?

if you don't see yourself using the library and only casually streaming PPVs, then fine. but this seems like a steal for the avid wrestling fan.

i mean, when you look at the big picture, it's a pretty damn amazing deal. if there aren't any major issues, i think it kicks nfl's league pass and nba's season pass to death. also ufc's. it looks like the most complete, price effective 'sports' package on the market.

i personally won't get it just cuz i don't really have time these days but GL to everyone that does.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 01-09-2014 at 04:59 AM.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #1753
9erempiree
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
kabong's right and i kinda see 9er trolling up there.

yes, you can always and forever stream for free...but it takes a bit of time and you're never guaranteed an HD stream/lag/random shutdown.

it's not just the live aspect. really, you're buying this for the library. it's huge. you don't even need to be a fan of WWE. there's WCCW, WCW, crockett, ECW, etc. like enoughsaid, he's going to be able to go back and rewatch raws to see the buildup before watching said PPV. he gets to stream that all and it's right there at his fingertips. pause, fast forward, rewind. 24/7 streaming...all of a sudden feel like watching something? boom, right there. you don't deal with torrents and waiting times.

you buy six months at a time but pay monthly. you can make a list of all that you want to see and be done with it after $60 while watching PPVs live along the way. then add in HD and mobile?

if you don't see yourself using the library and only casually streaming PPVs, then fine. but this seems like a steal for the avid wrestling fan.

i mean, when you look at the big picture, it's a pretty damn amazing deal. if there aren't any major issues, i think it kicks nfl's league pass and nba's season pass to death. also ufc's. it looks like the most complete, price effective 'sports' package on the market.

i personally won't get it just cuz i don't really have time these days but GL to everyone that does.

Not trolling at all just because I think it's stupid to be locked in for 6 months and pay for something that is free such as Raw and SD. If you want to watch PPV's? You can stream that live and even find it on YT.

As far as saying it's good for avid wrestling fans? Well, you guys are some nerds or too obsessed with wrestling to pay for this. I was a wrestling fan once and still turn it on here and there but I will not pay for 6 months for it.

Like I said before, Vince McMahon is a media mogul and he has only one market and that's the wrestling fans. He's a genius and great businessman for be able to make so much money off one market with multiple demographics.

You guys say that you are getting a great deal. Do you really think you are getting access to a full library? I doubt it. The company will not sell themselves out like that.

...but please, don't call me a troll just because I'm looking at it from another point of view.

This supposed access to the library of wrestling history does not exist or else they would have mentioned it. They only went as far back as Monday Night Wars, Wrestlemania Rewind and past PPV's.

It sounds great for wrestling fans. Just like it all the excuses wrestling fans have made over the years on why they still watch wrestling. Now you guys have more explaining to do, on why you still watch the product as an adult and now why you are willing to pay to access PPV's and their library.

Vince was a success tonight. He is going to change how we watch media from all perspective, his main goal but at the same time, he has suckered his bread and butter fans, to pay him for this. He's more than a wrestling guy, he to me, is a media magnet and he happens to use the wrestling industry to advance how media and entertainment is broadcast and distributed. You guys are just another of his experiment, perhaps the predecessors on how we watch entertainment from here on out and that's a compliment.

Last edited by 9erempiree : 01-09-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:21 AM   #1754
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree
Not trolling at all just because I think it's stupid to be locked in for 6 months and pay for something that is free such as Raw and SD. If you want to watch PPV's? You can stream that live and even find it on YT.

raw and SD are there just because. it's still on TV for free. that's really not what you're paying for. if that's all you watch and feel comfortable streaming PPVs, then don't get this.

Quote:
As far as saying it's good for avid wrestling fans? Well, you guys are some nerds or too obsessed with wrestling to pay for this. I was a wrestling fan once and still turn it on here and there but I will not pay for 6 months for it.

aren't we all nerds in some ways? like i said, i won't be getting it but for fans that have been looking to get caught up, watch some of their favorite PPVs or whatever, it's a sweet deal. it's all there. so it doesn't work for either of us...the content is still amazing for that price point. seriously, it's major wrestling netflix. just doesn't have tna, roh and japan of course.

Quote:
Like I said before, Vince McMahon is a media mogul and he has only one market and that's the wrestling fans. He's a genius and great businessman for be able to make so much money off one market with multiple demographics.

You guys say that you are getting a great deal. Do you really think you are getting access to a full library? I doubt it. The company will not sell themselves out like that.

...but please, don't call me a troll just because I'm looking at it from another point of view.

This supposed access to the library of wrestling history does not exist or else they would have mentioned it. They only went as far back as Monday Night Wars, Wrestlemania Rewind and past PPV's.

It sounds great for wrestling fans. Just like it all the excuses wrestling fans have made over the years on why they still watch wrestling. Now you guys have more explaining to do, on why you still watch the product as an adult and now why you are willing to pay to access PPV's and their library.

well now you're just talking deception. of course vince knows what he's doing but when you factor in the price of PPVs, it makes sense. it's like buying things in bulk. if they don't spoil and you will use it, why not get it? if you have the time and are an avid wrestling fan, why not get this? if you plan on watching all the PPVs, at least try it out for 6 months/$60? they're offering quite a bit. if it sucks or you feel you didn't take advantage of it, just drop it and don't resubscribe.

anyway, it's still some pretty forward thinking on wwe's part and they tried this in the past except that you had to use the real windows media player which was terrible.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:31 AM   #1755
9erempiree
Banned

Quote:
well now you're just talking deception. of course vince knows what he's doing but when you factor in the price of PPVs, it makes sense. it's like buying things in bulk. if they don't spoil and you will use it, why not get it? if you have the time and are an avid wrestling fan, why not get this? if you plan on watching all the PPVs, at least try it out for 6 months/$60? they're offering quite a bit. if it sucks or you feel you didn't take advantage of it, just drop it and don't resubscribe.

anyway, it's still some pretty forward thinking on wwe's part and they tried this in the past except that you had to use the real windows media player which was terrible.

I was once a wrestling fan too before the PG era and still watch it occasionally, and if it's the only thing I on. So I still have a heart for wrestling fans. I think it's their way to capitalize on piracy than wanting to give wrestling fans what they want.

Anyone that has tried to YT wrestling matches know that it is very hard since the WWE started cracking down on it the last two years.

One thing I do have to admire is the McMahons' ability to capitalize on this and distribute their ownership of content through streaming and cutting out the middleman. I think that is the main point here.

In order to get this kind of backing, they needed an incentive for the fans and this was it. I would rather see more creative programming beyond wrestling than some old library. I want to be entertained by the stars that goes beyond the wrestling ring.

Good step forward for the company but we will see whether leagues that I care more about, such as the NFL and NBA will follow suit. Can you imagine all the games we can watch?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: